Jungle Cruise Engines

jmc28

Original Poster
I've searched here and online but cannot seem to find an answer. Are the Jungle Cruise boat engines powered by diesel or gasoline? Or are they electric? Just got back from a trip to the world and this question is driving me insane. Thanks!

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Not sure, but I don't remember any engine noise so I would have to say electric.
This struck me as funny because "engine noise" is practically all I ever hear. Can't even make out the Skipper's spiel half the time.
An electric version would be nice. If they ever do fully revamp the JC, I'd hope they do just that. Electric motor, fake engine noise and better speakers/mic systems.

Goofyernmost

I guess I'll have to listen for it next time. I honestly have never noticed any noise before or at least not enough to stick with me. Sorry about the misinformation.

kap91

If I'm not mistaken most vehicles at Disney that are still internal combustion engines either run on biodiesel or liquid natural gas. So it's probably one of those.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
I thought they ran on propane/LNG. I just saw something on this recently let me look and see if I can find the link again.

EDIT: Found it! Looks like on opening day they where running Palmer 4 cylinder LNG engines! May have been updated in the last 50 years but would imagine that they are pretty much the same.

EDIT 2: Just realized I never credited the site I pulled the image from. That would be https://www.disneydocs.net/jungle-cruise-sop

Attachments

• 1182B4D9-4FD0-44C3-823D-594E5832514C.png
    1182B4D9-4FD0-44C3-823D-594E5832514C.png
    277.6 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

jmc28

Original Poster
I thought they ran on propane/LNG. I just saw something on this recently let me look and see if I can find the link again.

EDIT: Found it! Looks like on opening day they where running Palmer 4 cylinder LNG engines! May have been updated in the last 50 years but would imagine that they are pretty much the same.
Wow thank you!

Raxel7851

As a side note I was reading the Operations Manual and saw one of the steps was “place ammunition box on each boat”. Now I remember when they used to “shoot” the rhinos.

Longtimer

I've searched here and online but cannot seem to find an answer. Are the Jungle Cruise boat engines powered by diesel or gasoline? Or are they electric? Just got back from a trip to the world and this question is driving me insane. Thanks!
They were originally real steam engines built by O'Connor Engineering. They are now powered by Chevrolet 4 Cyl engines.

graphite1326

The engine is under that center panel as you board and if you sit near there you can hear and feel it. Definitely a fuel engine of some sort. If I had to guess I would say gas due to the lack of black exhaust (if you ever followed a truck when they start out you can see the black sooty exhaust). As far as electric, I don't know if they would hold up. There would be a lot of down time for recharging.

thomas998

The engine is under that center panel as you board and if you sit near there you can hear and feel it. Definitely a fuel engine of some sort. If I had to guess I would say gas due to the lack of black exhaust (if you ever followed a truck when they start out you can see the black sooty exhaust). As far as electric, I don't know if they would hold up. There would be a lot of down time for recharging.
The black sooty smoke is pretty much non-existent on a modern diesel because they now have much better fueling systems. It only happens now if there is a problem with the engine... or the operator has decided it looks cool to belch smoke and has modified the engine to create the smoke.

Though even without the smoke you still have a distinct diesel smell from the exhaust. You used to always get a whiff of it when you were riding the parking lot trams years ago because the trams were diesel powered... thank god they switched to CNG.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom