Jolly Holiday, A Musical Journey with Mary Poppins

QuillPenn

Original Poster
This was one of the first projects I had ever come up with, I had written it several years ago, and was even able to get it featured on the Ideal Buildout blog, a post which now sadly has been lost. With the discovery of this forum, I decided to spruce it up a bit, add an extra scene, a couple easter eggs here and there and let it loose amongst the folks here.

The initial idea sprang from a story I had heard. Stating that when the Disney World project was being planned, Walt had originally wanted unique rides at The Magic Kingdom to replace those at Disneyland. In place of Peter Pan, Snow White, and Mr. Toad, the attractions would have been based on Mary Poppins, Sleeping Beauty, and Ichabod. I have yet to confirm this story, if anyone can corroborate it, it would be greatly appreciated.

I had initially planned to write up attractions for the other two films as well, but for reasons unknown I never got around to it. Maybe now I can finally can.

Anyway, enough dilly dallying, as Mary Poppins would say, "Best Foot Forward, Spit Spot!"

I've never really given much thought as to where the attraction would have been placed, but given it's location in London, I imagine it would probably have sat where Peter Pan's Flight sits now. I actually like this, since the Victorian facade, (I don't do the fantasy fair style) would actually help provide a nice transition into the colonial style liberty square next door.

Queue
The Facade is a recreation of Cherry Tree Lane, most notably, the shipshape, ship shaped Number 16, the home of Admiral Boom, and as a fun Easter egg, Number 18 Mrs. Correy's talking shop, (See below) which serves as the ride exit and gift shop.

The queue itself begins at the front garden and enters the front door of Number 17, the home of the Banks family. The queue makes an immediate left from the door into the living room. Every 15 minutes, on the quarter hour, Winifred Banks is heard shouting "Posts Everyone! 3...2...1" BOOM!! Windows rattle, plants shake, and the keys on the piano plinks discordantly as Admiral Boom sets off his cannon.
Passing back through the entrance hall, the queue heads into the dining room, where, at the kitchen door, the Banks' cook and cleaning maid, Mrs. Brill and Ellen, can be heard discussing Admiral Boom's Cannon. The discussion quickly turns into a shouting match between the two. Those with keen ears may hear mention of Robertson Ay, the clumsy houseboy seen in place of Ellen in the stage musical.
The queue once again returns to the entrance hall, and the loading dock in front of the staircase.

The ride vehicles can seat up to 4 guests. Two in a chariot and two on the carousel horses that pull it. Like on a real carousel, the horses gently move up and down as they roll along the track. Seats on the chariot can flip up individually to accomadate wheelchair bound guests.

Scene I
Once loaded, the vehicle moves forward and pulls an immediate left into the Bank’s Children’s Nursery. Toys fly onto the shelves and beds make themselves at the snap of Jane and Michael’s fingers, the vehicle passes by Mary Poppins herself singing "Spoonful of Suger", accompanied by her reflection.

Scene II
Out the window, and into the park, passing by Bert as he sings “Chim-Chim- Cheree” we pass through a frame and into the animated world, where Bert and Mary are singing “Jolly Holiday”

Scene III
Around the corner the horses pass by the Penguin run restaurant where Bert and the Penguins are dancing.

Scene IV
We pass over a hedge, and are suddenly on a racetrack, passing by animated projections of the other riders. We win the race before passing by the reporters, followed by Mary, Bert and the Band singing “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"

Scene V
A flash of lightning and the bright colors are washed away by the rain and are replaced by the gloomy colors of a London street, we see Mary Poppins and the Bird Woman singing "Feed the Birds" in front of St. Paul's Cathedral.

Scene VI
A high pitched bark, and we see Andrew, Mrs. Lark's Dog, barking at Mary who mutters "Not again" as we move into the home of Uncle Albert, where he and Bert are floating near the ceiling, laughing uproariously and singing "I Love To Laugh" as Mary watches disapprovingly from below.

Scene VII
Back into the Banks' home where Mary warns us to stay away from the fireplace because you never know what could happen, into the lounge, where Bert sings about the world above London (“Up where the smoke is all billowed and curled…”)

Scene VII
With a whoosh, we are sucked into the fireplace and and out on to the rooftops of London. Sweeps pop out of various chimneys, greeting us with a hearty “Cheroo!” Before engaging in a good old fashioned “Step In Time”. They are chased away by Admiral Boom's fireworks.

Scene VIII
The vehicle pass by several flying kites before finding itself back in the park, where the entire Banks family is singing “Let’s Go Fly A Kite” Finally, we pass by Bert, waving goodbye to Mary who is flying away “Goodbye Mary Poppins, don’t stay away too long”
The vehicles make a turn, and arrives at the
unloading dock.

The exit empties out into Mrs. Correy's talking shop, a reference to the musical, where, among various Mary Poppins themed merchandise, gingerbread pieces with gingerbread stars, can be purchased. A reference to the book.

So, that's the first attraction I've ever written up, if any of you wish, you are more than welcome to post any sketches or concept art that this attraction might inspire. I'd come up with some myself, but I'm a horrible artist. Believe me when I say I'm much better off with the written word.

FigmentPigments

This was one of the first projects I had ever come up with, I had written it several years ago, and was even able to get it featured on the Ideal Buildout blog, a post which now sadly has been lost. With the discovery of this forum, I decided to spruce it up a bit, add an extra scene, a couple easter eggs here and there and let it loose amongst the folks here.

The initial idea sprang from a story I had heard. Stating that when the Disney World project was being planned, Walt had originally wanted unique rides at The Magic Kingdom to replace those at Disneyland. In place of Peter Pan, Snow White, and Mr. Toad, the attractions would have been based on Mary Poppins, Sleeping Beauty, and Ichabod. I have yet to confirm this story, if anyone can corroborate it, it would be greatly appreciated.

I had initially planned to write up attractions for the other two films as well, but for reasons unknown I never got around to it. Maybe now I can finally can.

Anyway, enough dilly dallying, as Mary Poppins would say, "Best Foot Forward, Spit Spot!"

I've never really given much thought as to where the attraction would have been placed, but given it's location in London, I imagine it would probably have sat where Peter Pan's Flight sits now. I actually like this, since the Victorian facade, (I don't do the fantasy fair style) would actually help provide a nice transition into the colonial style liberty square next door.

Queue
The Facade is a recreation of Cherry Tree Lane, most notably, the shipshape, ship shaped Number 16, the home of Admiral Boom, and as a fun Easter egg, Number 18 Mrs. Correy's talking shop, (See below) which serves as the ride exit and gift shop.

The queue itself begins at the front garden and enters the front door of Number 17, the home of the Banks family. The queue makes an immediate left from the door into the living room. Every 15 minutes, on the quarter hour, Winifred Banks is heard shouting "Posts Everyone! 3...2...1" BOOM!! Windows rattle, plants shake, and the keys on the piano plinks discordantly as Admiral Boom sets off his cannon.
Passing back through the entrance hall, the queue heads into the dining room, where, at the kitchen door, the Banks' cook and cleaning maid, Mrs. Brill and Ellen, can be heard discussing Admiral Boom's Cannon. The discussion quickly turns into a shouting match between the two. Those with keen ears may hear mention of Robertson Ay, the clumsy houseboy seen in place of Ellen in the stage musical.
The queue once again returns to the entrance hall, and the loading dock in front of the staircase.

The ride vehicles can seat up to 4 guests. Two in a chariot and two on the carousel horses that pull it. Like on a real carousel, the horses gently move up and down as they roll along the track. Seats on the chariot can flip up individually to accomadate wheelchair bound guests.

Scene I
Once loaded, the vehicle moves forward and pulls an immediate left into the Bank’s Children’s Nursery. Toys fly onto the shelves and beds make themselves at the snap of Jane and Michael’s fingers, the vehicle passes by Mary Poppins herself singing "Spoonful of Suger", accompanied by her reflection.

Scene II
Out the window, and into the park, passing by Bert as he sings “Chim-Chim- Cheree” we pass through a frame and into the animated world, where Bert and Mary are singing “Jolly Holiday”

Scene III
Around the corner the horses pass by the Penguin run restaurant where Bert and the Penguins are dancing.

Scene IV
We pass over a hedge, and are suddenly on a racetrack, passing by animated projections of the other riders. We win the race before passing by the reporters, followed by Mary, Bert and the Band singing “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"

Scene V
A flash of lightning and the bright colors are washed away by the rain and are replaced by the gloomy colors of a London street, we see Mary Poppins and the Bird Woman singing "Feed the Birds" in front of St. Paul's Cathedral.

Scene VI
A high pitched bark, and we see Andrew, Mrs. Lark's Dog, barking at Mary who mutters "Not again" as we move into the home of Uncle Albert, where he and Bert are floating near the ceiling, laughing uproariously and singing "I Love To Laugh" as Mary watches disapprovingly from below.

Scene VII
Back into the Banks' home where Mary warns us to stay away from the fireplace because you never know what could happen, into the lounge, where Bert sings about the world above London (“Up where the smoke is all billowed and curled…”)

Scene VII
With a whoosh, we are sucked into the fireplace and and out on to the rooftops of London. Sweeps pop out of various chimneys, greeting us with a hearty “Cheroo!” Before engaging in a good old fashioned “Step In Time”. They are chased away by Admiral Boom's fireworks.

Scene VIII
The vehicle pass by several flying kites before finding itself back in the park, where the entire Banks family is singing “Let’s Go Fly A Kite” Finally, we pass by Bert, waving goodbye to Mary who is flying away “Goodbye Mary Poppins, don’t stay away too long”
The vehicles make a turn, and arrives at the
unloading dock.

The exit empties out into Mrs. Correy's talking shop, a reference to the musical, where, among various Mary Poppins themed merchandise, gingerbread pieces with gingerbread stars, can be purchased. A reference to the book.

So, that's the first attraction I've ever written up, if any of you wish, you are more than welcome to post any sketches or concept art that this attraction might inspire. I'd come up with some myself, but I'm a horrible artist. Believe me when I say I'm much better off with the written word.
Very well done! :) I especially love how you incorporated not only the movie, but the book and musical. While the musical was not a great one for me, I know there are a lot of people out there that would love those references. Great work!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom