Jim Hill talks of potential Harry Potter project

napnet

Original Poster
This is from Jim Hill... i'm just posting what he said.. take it how you want it :lookaroun

... Disney officials very quietly began talks with J.K. Rowling, the acclaimed author of the "Harry Potter" series. And after months of negotiations, Rowling finally signed a letter of intent. Which then awarded the Walt Disney Company the right to begin preliminary development of a theme park-related project featuring the Harry Potter characters.

Now please note that we're only talking about just a letter of intent here. Which -- according to investorsworld.com -- is:

"A letter from one company to another acknowledging a willingness and ability to do business ... A letter of intent is not a contract and cannot be enforced, it is just a document stating serious intent to carry out certain business activities. "

And given Ms. Rowling's reputation for being one tough negotiator (Case in point: When Warner Bros. was getting ready to produce the very first "Harry Potter" film, the studio insisted that at least one actor in the cast be a "name." To be specific, Warners wanted Robin Williams for the role of Hagrid. But J.K. absolutely refused to allow the studio to cast this Academy-award winning comedian as Hogwart's big-hearted gamekeeper. And given that one of the terms of the sale of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" movie rights was that the author had final approval over the film's cast ... Well, that's how Robbie Coltrane wound up filling Hagrid's over-sized boots) ... Just because Disney now has a letter of intent with J.K. Rowling doesn't mean that you should plan on queuing up for "Harry Potter: The Ride" anytime soon.

Mind you, Disney's still hoping that negotiations can be completed in time for the company to be able to formally announce its arrangement with Rowling between July 7, 2007 (I.E. When the seventh & final Harry Potter book will be released to stores) and July 13, 2007 (When the movie version of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" is released to theaters). When the world is expected to be in the grips of unprecedented Harry Potter mania.

Still, given how protective J.K. can be about her characters ... Disney knows better than to count on their "Harry Potter" letter of intent being turned into a really-for-real full-blown contract. Which is why senior company officials decided to put together a contingency plan. One that would still allow the Mouse to be in business with a modern master of fantasy should Rowling actually decide to pull the plug on Disney's theme park deal.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2006/10/16/6221.aspx

Epcotrob

Its just a letter of intent. Not really news. I would not be surprised at all if this is true. Disney would be stupid to pass something like this up. I may be in the minority on this one but I would think disney would go after this. I can see this as being true.

After all its just a letter of intent. It really dont mean much.:lookaroun

I love Harry Potter, and I love Disney...but I'm not really excited about this possible mixture. They're just so...different. Harry, Hermione and Ron are worlds away from Mickey and the Gang, imho.

goofyfan13

I love Harry Potter, and I love Disney...but I'm not really excited about this possible mixture. They're just so...different. Harry, Hermione and Ron are worlds away from Mickey and the Gang, imho.

It could be argued that R2-D2, Luke Skywalker, and Darth Vader are different too even though they both fall into the realm of fantasy. While I agree that it would be weird to see HP in the parks, Disney has used outside of the company franchises before, and will more than likely continue in the future.

Me personally, I've never been a huge fan of Harry Potter, so I'm pretty apathetic to this rumor, however, I'm sure WDI could pull off something amazing with the franchise.

jimmyritt33

No offense to the Harry Potter fans and the Lord of the Rings fans but take that stuff up International Drive to Universal and IOA. I don't want any parts of those to invade the Mouse house.

goofntink

No offense to the Harry Potter fans and the Lord of the Rings fans but take that stuff up International Drive to Universal and IOA. I don't want any parts of those to invade the Mouse house.

I couldn't agree more. Movies did not have anything to do with Disney, and don't see how they could fit into Disney.:confused:

Legacy

I'm sure they wouldn't mind. They would definitely be powerful licenses to bring to the table.

Shaman

Perhaps the attraction won't be related to anything within the books themselves and will be completely original just take place in the "Harry Potter" universe?

This will fit nicely right next to the Narnia attraction....:lookaroun

bears163

Well i love the movies. i was totally suprised how good they were. i am glad that disney night do it. & i hope they do not stich it up though. also would be really cool if the got LOTR series too. MGM for sure

Since1976

A Harry Potter Project would definitely give MGM Studios the kick in the pants it's needed for a few years now -- but I'd bet on a Chronicles of Narnia attraction taking precedence, since it is a Disney property...

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I'm curious how it would work since my understanding is the would have the rights to the characters and the books . . . but not the film images.

How would they create something that would be from the books, but not the movies? If they look too much like the movies, will they be sued?

Shaman

I'm curious how it would work since my understanding is the would have the rights to the characters and the books . . . but not the film images.

How would they create something that would be from the books, but not the movies? If they look too much like the movies, will they be sued?

That's why I'm thinking it will be something completely original...maybe created by Rowling herself...based off the Harry Potter universe...like an attraction that goes beyond the set of characters and the stories in the books, but uses the same and some new settings etc....At which point Disney maybe gets movie rights too?

Did I stretch it too far there at the end? :lookaroun

Since1976

If they don't have rights to the film, they'd probably have to base the attraction on Mary Grandpre's book illustrations. In that case, Fantasyland (rather than Disney-MGM) would be a great place for the attraction.

I rather like the book illustrations, and the toys and models based on them which came out before the first movie was made.

wannab@dis

I love seeing these rumors surface and a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon. It makes for an interesting comparison. It seems that some of the same people that are upset about movie tie-ins from Disney movies, or, heaven forbid, Pixar movies... are the same ones that are excited about a Harry Potter attraction. I don't get it! At least Pixar *IS* Disney. What does Harry Potter have to do with Disney? :veryconfu

It does makes sense for Disney to explore how to take advantage of the Harry Potter franchise. But I think they should utilize their own properties and/or original ideas first. :D

CJR

They play the movie all the time on Disney Channel, so Disney might be able to get the rights to make a movie version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom