Jeff's Trip Report--4/24 - 4/29

Ok, here goes my first "trip report". It's a long one so I'll post it in sections.

What a great time! I went with my wife (Emily) and son (Jacob). He is 2 (turning 3 this month) and it was his first time. This was the second time for my wife. The first time for her was 6 years ago when we went while we were engaged. At that time, we hit every park and did almost every attraction. This time was quite a bit different, but no less fun.

Dining Plan: We purchased the Dining Plan for this trip. For us, it worked spectacularly. We love eating at the WDW restaurants and it was fun to try a lot of different places. Our strategy was that we brought our breakfast stuff with us. Boxed milk (Parmalat), cereal variety pack, plastic spoons, paper bowls and breakfast/granola bars. Each morning, we would quickly eat breakfast in the room before going out to the bus stop.

We purchased the DP for 5 days. I made the reservations for our 5 table service meals a few months ago. The counter service, we mostly played by ear. At the end, we looked at how much we would have spent if we hadn’t used the dining plan—the plan ended up saving us about $150. So, to us, it was totally worth it.

Next up: Our arrival/first day

Sweetums

Original Poster
Arrival/First day of the trip! Monday, 4/24

Monday, 4/24: Got into MCO at 12:30 and went to the Magical Express line. I don’t think we waited more than 10 or 15 minutes total before we were on the bus. Bus made a stop at Saratoga Springs and then went to our resort…Animal Kingdom Lodge!

We had paid for a Standard View room but I had read on here that sometimes people got upgraded. We weren’t counting on that, but were hoping that it might happen….AND IT DID!! Woo Hoo! We got a Savannah View. Granted, the room location was about as far from the lobby as you could get, but it was on the second floor and turned out to be AWESOME as far as getting to see a nice variety of animals. Once we got to our room and dropped off some of our carry on stuff, we went on down to the bus station to go to Animal Kingdom.

We got to the Animal Kingdom around 2:30 or 3. My son is absolutely obsessed with animals, so I wanted to do the Kilimanjaro Safaris first thing. There was a 40 minute wait so we got Fast Passes and took a stroll down the Pangani Trail. Now, I thought he would think this was soooo cool because he’d get to see animals—including GORILLAS! But after about a minute at each exhibit, he would say “let’s go see sumpin else.” Ok, kid! :)

After the trail, we got onto the Safari with our FP’s. By the time that finished, it was about time for the 4 pm parade. We got a good front row space and waited. Then the parade started. I had not seen it before—lots of fun.

After the parade, we headed over to the train to go to Conservation Station. Pocahontas was there and so that is now Jacob’s first Disney character encounter. He isn’t really familiar with her, but he seemed to enjoy meeting her. Then, we went over and met Rafiki—now that was cool since he loves Lion King. Stanley was also there but Jacob had no interest in him. Next, we went out to see the goats. Jacob likes goats so this was fun for him. After awhile, we got back on the train so that we could exit the park and make our dinner reservation for Boma.

Our Boma reservation was for 6:30. It was packed. We waited about 10 minutes or so and then were taken to our table. The food was delicious and we had a good time trying all sorts of different things. I did get irritated with how crowded it got in the food line at times. Also, the service was not the greatest. It seemed to me that our server was quite swamped and as a result, wasn’t there when we needed her a lot of times. This actually seemed to be the case at all of the buffet/all you can eat places we went to. It was a little disappointing, but we still had a good time.

After dinner, we walked around a little bit outside. We came upon the little playground and stopped to let Jacob run around. He was going around roaring at any other kid who came up to him. We had seen “The Wild” the week before so pretty much the entire vacation, he referred to himself as “Samson” (the “daddy” lion in the film). By the way, just as an indication of what a flop “The Wild” must be, there was NO merchandise or anything for it at any of the parks. The only reference we saw was a small advertisement inside some of the busses. It used to be, if a Disney animated movie came out, you were blitzed by it at any park you went to. Not so, with “The Wild”.

Next, we headed back to the room to call it a night. The next day would be our first full day in the parks so we wanted to make sure and get some rest!

Next up: EPCOT

Sweetums

Original Poster
EPCOT--Tuesday, 4/25

Tuesday, April 25th:

EMH at EPCOT so we got up early and went down to the busses at a little after 7am. There were only a few other people on the bus which surprised me. I thought EMH would stir up a bigger crowd. We got to EPCOT by 7:30 so we proceeded to the front gate and waited. Once the gate opened, we headed over to Soarin’.

I was a little worried that Jacob wouldn’t be tall enough, but he just made the 40 inch requirement so we proceeded. I think we waited maybe 10 minutes, if that. All three of us gave it a “thumbs up”. Really nice.

I really wanted to try Mission: Space, so we headed that way. Emily and Jacob went to a shop while I got into the single rider line. Boy, do I love the single rider line! Within 5 minutes, I was “assigned” to a crew. It was a dad and his two sons. After the pre-show warnings and then the warnings again before you board, the guy’s oldest son (13) decided he didn’t want to do it. The dad pleaded with him but the boy left. It was kind of funny but the dad was definitely NOT laughing about it. So, we had to board the ship with no navigator (!) … We came out ok, though. I was worried that I might get nauseous—I usually do on Body Wars and I also get car sick pretty easily. I took advice that I read on this forum, though, and made sure to look straight ahead and focus on the screen. It worked! I didn’t feel any nausea and in fact, I really enjoyed the flying/gravitational pull sensation.

When I got out, Emily and Jacob were waiting for me (with some new souvenirs, of course). I noticed that Test Track was right near by and with Emily’s blessing, I headed over there. Once again, I used the single rider line. Again, I got in pretty quickly—within 10 minutes or so. I’d been on TT before, but it had been a long time. It was actually better than I remembered.

Now that I had my thrill ride urges satisfied, it was time to continue our tour of EPCOT. We began walking over to Imagination and stopped at the Character Connection. Great timing! There weren’t very many people in there so in a matter of 10 – 15 minutes, I got pictures of Jacob with Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Chip and Dale. Awesome!

Imagination was a walk on and we enjoyed it. The activity stuff (Image Works?) at the end was ok, but it seems like there used to be more to do. We went to Ellen’s Energy Adventure because I thought Jacob would think the dinosaurs were cool. He decided, though, that they would be too scary and he didn’t want to go on it. Ok. Just a week earlier, I’d been showing him some pictures from the ride and he thought it looked really neat and seemed to be excited to get to see them. But, as I’ve learned, it’s not always easy (or prudent) to try to reason with a 2 year old.

He mentioned that he wanted to see the “big ball”, so we went back to the front to get on Spaceship Earth. The line was outside, which I thought was suspicious as SE does not typically have a line. After five minutes of standing and not moving, I declared that it must have broken down. So, we went back to The Land and did the boat ride. It’s Emily’s favorite and Jacob liked it because it had animals in it.

After that, we went to the Garden Grill for our 11 am reservation. The food was decent but our waiter wasn’t. Any time we tried to ask him something, he kind of blew us off—seemed to be in a great hurry every time he came by our table—that is, if he would even come to our table. Again, the overall experience was good—Jacob loved meeting the characters (Mickey, Chip, Dale and Pluto) and the food was good. The Dining Plan automatically gives the server 18% for the tip—I would’ve liked an option to lower that percentage for this guy. I was irritated, but decided to let it go—didn’t feel like dwelling on it. I probably should have told someone, but I wanted to get back into the vacation and didn’t want to take up time with complaining.

After lunch, we left the park and went back to the room. We all took a nap. Emily and I read books out on our balcony for a little while too. Giraffes and zebras were there—very cool.

At about 3:30, we headed back to EPCOT. We went to the Living Seas pavilion and walked around. I wanted to do the Turtle Talk, but the wait was 40 minutes and neither of us wanted to wait that long. It was still enjoyable to look around at everything. The three of us particularly enjoyed seeing the manatees.

Our dinner reservation for Coral Reef was at 5 so we headed over there. I requested a good view of the aquarium and, although we had to wait a little longer for our table, we got it. In fact, our table was right next to it in the front of the restaurant. That was great! Emily ordered the steak and she really liked it. I had the pan-seared flounder. It was good, but a little dry, I thought. We also each had a glass of wine. For dessert, she had the Chocolate Wave and I had the California something or other—it had an orange flavor—it was the “special” for the 50th anniversary celebration. Anyway, both were excellent. Our waiter was good too. (Finally!) The total bill (excluding the wine) was $116. Thank you Dining Plan!

After dinner, we headed over to World Showcase. We looked at some of the Flower and Garden stuff—walked through the butterfly garden. Then, we went to Mexico and rode the Rio Del Tiempo—no wait. After that, we went to Norway and did the Maelstrom. There was a 10 or 15 minute wait there—not too bad. During both of these, Jacob kept asking if he could play outside. He had a set of plastic animals that he wanted to play with. After the Maelstrom, we walked to the area that is African themed…not a country, but has the music playing and an outpost…Anyway, we sat down at a table and let him set up his animals and play.

After Jacob’s “playtime”, we continued our walk around the world. We didn’t stop in to do any more attractions. Just walked and looked. We did stop and watch the little train in Germany (I think it was Germany). Jacob enjoyed that. We had been thinking about staying for Illuminations, but the more we walked, the more worried we became that Jacob could possibly go into meltdown at any time. He wasn’t at that point yet, but he was showing signs of being tired and we didn’t want to push it. We decided to skip Illuminations and go back to the hotel. (We’d both seen it before so we didn’t feel like we were missing out)

On the way out, I asked Jacob if he wanted to go in the “big ball” and, of course, he said “yes”. The boys went on Spaceship Earth while mommy went to do some more shopping. There was no line and we got right on. He seemed to enjoy it but I could barely hear the narration.

We got back to the hotel around 8:30 and decided to go for a swim. The pool was actually somewhat crowded (more so than I would have expected) but not too bad. Emily got herself a smoothie and me an African beer. Good stuff. Jacob and I had fun pretending to be crocodiles and hippos in the pool.

Next Up: Animal Kingdom (again)

Sweetums

Original Poster
Animal Kingdom--4/26

Wednesday, April 26th:

The EMH was for AK in the evening so we didn’t need to get up as early as the day before. I still wanted us to get there for the park opening though. We got down to the bus at around 8:15. Animal Kingdom was already pretty crowded at the front gate. They let us in to the Oasis part at 8:45. They did a cute little opening thing with the characters, but we were so far back, it was hard to see. Then, at 9, the park was officially open. We joined the mob headed for Expedition Everest. By the time we got there, a pretty long line had already formed and the Fast Pass machines were super crowded. I got into the line, not sure what the wait time would be. Emily and Jacob went to go look for a store. The line actually moved fairly quickly. Once I got up to where the actual entrance was (and where the wait time is posted), there was a Cast Member there saying we only had about a 10 minute wait from that point. So, total time was probably 10 – 15 minutes from when I first got in line. Not bad. The ride itself was a lot of fun. I thought the mountain was pretty awesome looking and the coaster was great in my opinion. I got off and met back up with Emily and Jacob. We went over to the Maharaja Jungle trek and walked along to see the animals.

After that, we went and saw the Pocahontas show. Emily and I hadn’t seen it before. It was cute. When that show was over, we went straight to the Festival of the Lion King show. We got a good seat and enjoyed the show. It was really neat, since we were in the “lion” section and Jacob got to show off his ROAR.

It was about 11:15 or so when we got done with the Lion King show. We were hungry so we went to Flame Tree Barbecue for lunch. It was very good.

We went back to the room after lunch and got our swimsuits on. I took Jacob down to the pool while Emily stayed behind so she could read out on the balcony and go down to the gift shop. We enjoyed the pool and Jacob especially had fun going down the slide. After an hour or so, we went back to the room to relax.

At about 3:30, we decided to go back to Animal Kingdom. First, we stopped to get our wrist bands for the EMH. Then, we went to the Kilimanjaro Safaris, but had to take a back way through Asia ‘cause the parade was about to start. It had a 40 minute wait posted and there were no more Fast Passes. We got into the line anyway since we really wanted to do the safari at least one more time. The wait ended up being more like 20 minutes which was nice.

After the safari, we went to Pizzafari for dinner. It was pretty good. By this time, the park had closed and EMH had started for resort guests. After dinner, we went to see It’s Tough to be a Bug—we walked right in, no wait. I was worried it might be a little scary for Jacob, but he did fine. Next, we headed to Dinoland.

In Dinoland, Jacob and I rode the Triceratops Spin. We only waited 5 minutes or so. After that, Emily took Jacob to the Boneyard so I could go ride Dinosaur, which is one of my favorites. There was no wait. I got right on. Then, I went into the Boneyard and gave Emily a shopping break. The Boneyard is pretty cool—they’ve added to it since I was there last. Jacob loved it.

After we left the Boneyard, I took Jacob and Emily over to the Cretaceous Trail so Jacob could see the dinosaur there. He liked it a lot and had fun climbing on it. Being so close to the Dinosaur attraction, I asked if I could go on it again. With Emily’s blessing, I got back on—again, no wait.

When I got off, I found Emily and Jacob eating ice cream. When they finished, we walked over to Asia so I could get on Expedition Everest one more time. It was a 10 minute wait and I enjoyed it even more the second time. As we walked passed the Kali River Rapids, I asked Jake if he wanted to go on it. He said “yes” so the two of us got in line for that. Actually, there was no line—just walked through the queue area and then got right on. We actually had a raft all to ourselves. He liked it a lot—especially when we got wet. At the end of the ride, the CM asked if we wanted to ride again. I didn’t want Emily to worry so we went ahead and got off.

We left Animal Kingdom and went back to the hotel for the night.

Next Up: Magic Kingdom!

Sweetums

Original Poster
Magic Kingdom--4/27

Thursday, April 27th:

Oh boy! EMH at Magic Kingdom! We got up at 6am so we could get to the bus stop by 7 am. (Yes, I am evil) We hopped on the bus and again, I was kind of surprised that there weren’t more people on it for the EMH. I guess other people like the idea of getting some sleep on their vacation. ;)

The bus ride was pretty quick and we got to MK in about 15 minutes or so. We went to the gates to wait. At about 7:45, they let us through the gates into the front courtyard (not sure if that’s what you’d call it—but it’s the area before you go under the train station to get to Main Street). Then, they started the welcoming ceremony. I had never seen it before (prior to this trip, I had NEVER been to the parks that early as a guest). It was pretty neat—music, characters, train, etc…Emily really liked it. I think Jacob did too, though he wasn’t paying as much attention to it as I would have expected.

Once 8 am rolled around, we were allowed into the park. We headed straight for Fantasyland so we could get on Dumbo. This was a ride I always swore I’d never go on as I’d always found the line to be prohibitive. But, prior to the trip as I showed Jacob pictures of WDW, he’d always gravitate toward the Dumbo ride, so what was I supposed to do? We were among the first to get there and were in the first group to get to ride. It was fun, actually. Even though we didn’t go up very high—Jake was at the control and was pretty possessive when I tried to show him how to make Dumbo “fly”. Oh, well.

We got off Dumbo and headed over to Peter Pan’s flight. There was about a 2 minute wait. Then, we went to Mickey’s Philharmagic and walked right in to that. We had not seen it before. I loved it. I thought it was really fun and sweet. Jacob and Emily enjoyed it too, of course.

From there, we went to the Pooh ride and again, had about a 2 minute wait. Then we went to It’s a Small World which is (much to my chagrin) one of Emily’s favorite rides.

By the time we’d done all of that, it was only 9 am. I had wanted to see Ariel, but she wasn’t scheduled to be out until 10. I didn’t want to want to waste an hour waiting around for her so we headed to Adventureland.

Jungle Cruise was the ride Jacob had been asking to go on ever since we got to Orlando. I was really excited that we were finally getting to take him on it. The wait time was about 10 minutes. We got on and of course, he liked it a lot. Emily? Not so much. I believe the word she used was “lame”. (This from the person who loves It’s a Small World!).

It was around 9:30 and according to the schedule, the Peter Pan characters would be out in front of POC at 10. Since this is one of Jacob’s favorite movies (I have to “be Tappin’ Hook” almost every night when I come home from work), I did want to make sure we met them. I also wanted to go on POC before it gets Johnny Depperized. I tried to get Jake to go with me but he was not interested. So, I went by myself while they went into the shop. I walked right on—in fact, it was just me and one other person on the boat.

When I got off, Jacob was very excited to show me what they (him and mommy) had bought. “I dot sumpin for you daddy!” he proclaimed. It was a plastic hook and a sword. He also got himself a little sword “like Peter Pan”. He insisted that we have a sword fight right then and there, so we did. He won. :)

I asked a cast member where we should go to meet Peter Pan—she directed me to a fountain across from POC. We were the first ones in line and we waited for awhile. Then, just before 10, I noticed another line that seemed to be forming just over to the left of the fountain (if you are facing it). I wondered to myself if we were in the wrong place. Peter Pan and Wendy confirmed that indeed, we were, when they came out and went over to the other area. So, we went over to the other line—it really wasn’t bad, there were only a few people in front of us. When it was our turn, Jacob was totally star struck. He didn’t know what to say—he just stared at Peter Pan and Wendy. We took some pictures and video and then said goodbye to Peter Pan and Wendy.

Now, over at the fountain area where we had been waiting, Mr. Smee was there. So, the CM did tell me the right info—I guess it just depends who goes where. There was not much of a line for Smee so we got up to meet him pretty quickly. Smee was a lot of fun—he played peek-a-boo with Jacob and Jacob loved it. A few minutes later, we got back in the Smee line because he was joined by Captain Hook. Jacob kept asking if Captain Hook was going to be mean to him and I told him no, that he was just mean to Peter Pan. Thankfully, Captain Hook was anything but mean to Jacob. In fact, he and Smee pointed to Jacob’s shoes (they light up when he steps down) and stomped their feet to try to make their shoes light up. It was very fun.

After the meet and greet, Jacob and I went to the Tiki Birds (Emily wasn’t interested—can’t really blame her). I think we waited 10 minutes or so. It was ok.

It was going on 11:30 and the park was getting pretty crowded. As we walked through Fantasyland, we noticed that the wait times for Peter Pan and Pooh were 40 minutes long. Feeling vindicated, I said “now, aren’t you glad we got here early?”

We decided to eat lunch back at the hotel. We ate at The Mara at AKL. The food was really good. I had some roasted chicken and Emily had a burger and fries. Then, we went back to the room for some R and R. Emily and Jacob fell asleep while I sat out on the balcony and read a book. Nice!

We returned to the park at around 4 pm. I thought maybe the crowds would be better, but I was oh so wrong. I should have known better—MK was open until 11 pm that night, so of course a lot of people were heading there. We went over to Mickey’s Toon Town Fair and were marveling at how crowded the park was on the way there. We went over to the Hall of Fame to see how the lines were. The one for the princesses was REALLY long—we got into the line for “Hundred Acre Woods Friends”. Good choice. We only waited about 10 minutes and then we went in to meet Pooh, Eeyore and Tigger.

After that, Jake and I gave mommy some shoppin’ time. We got in line for the Barnstormer. It had 20 minutes as the posted wait time, but it was more like 10 or 15. Jacob liked it a lot.

Then, we went over to Donald’s Boat. Here’s me: “Ok, Jacob, you can get your feet wet, but try not to get your shirt and shorts wet.” Yeah, right!!! He got soaked from head to toe. He absolutely LOVED it. Luckily, mommy had anticipated this—she had packed an extra set of clothes, so once we all got back together, I got him changed into dry clothes.

On our way out of MK, we saw Terk from Tarzan. There was a small line and we hopped right in. Tarzan is one of Jacob’s very favorite movies so there was no way we could miss that. I have to say, I like the way the character greetings seem to be more organized. i.e., there is a line so you know when it is your turn. In the past, a character could get pretty mobbed by people and it was hard to get a picture without someone else being in the picture with you. And from a character perspective (many moons ago, I worked in Entertainment at Disney/MGM) it is hard to tell sometimes who is next—visibility can be quite limited. On the flip side, it is fun to roam free as a character and not be confined to a line. You get to animate more and it is more fun sometimes. But I digress…

Now, it was time to go have dinner.

Our “priority seating” was for 5:50 at Whispering Canyon. My plan was to take the boat over to the Lodge. When we went down to the boat launch area, I noticed that the sign said the launch went to Fort Wilderness and listed some others, but I did not see anything that said “Wilderness Lodge”. I went to a CM at the front gate and asked her which launch was for Wilderness Lodge. “Fort Wilderness? Over there.” No, not Fort Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge. “Yes, that one will take you to Fort Wilderness Lodge.” Agggh! Confused and irritated, I told Emily we would just take the darn bus. (I’m pretty sure I said “darn”….might’ve been something else, though.) We waited awhile for the bus, but we did finally get on and got to the Lodge on time.

Whispering Canyon has changed since we’d been there. The tables and set up looked different to me. Also, the a la carte option is new (for us anyway). We both ordered the skillet. The food was delicious. Not exactly as I remembered, but very good, nonetheless. I also thought I remembered that you got a choice of sauces, but our waitress didn’t know what I was talking about. As with Boma, I found the service to be somewhat lacking. Our server was not rude at all, just not as attentive as I would have liked. The bill was $80 which is a pretty expensive dinner for two people. I think for that much money, it’s not out of the question to expect better service. I began to wonder if the Dining Plan’s inclusion of an 18% tip was a detriment—since the servers know they are going to get it anyway, why put forth the extra effort? I hate to think that is the case, but I had to wonder. What I really think, though, is that they overbook the restaurant and the poor servers have more tables to handle than they probably should.

After dinner, we went back to the park—again, via bus. It was about 7:30 and it was still super crowded. People were already sitting on the sidewalks waiting for the Spectro Magic parade—an hour and a half away! I wanted to hit Jungle Cruise again before Spectro Magic started. There was a 40 minute wait and no Fast Passes. Against my normal “won’t wait more than 10 minutes” attitude, Jacob and I got in line. (Emily decided to pass) It was a pretty long wait, but closer to 30 than 40. By the time we got onto the boat, it was dark. We enjoyed it, but I definitely like it better during daylight.

After Jungle Cruise, I thought we could hit the Country Bear Jamboree and then find a good place to watch the parade in Frontierland afterwards. We soon realized that we’d better go ahead and get the space along the parade route pronto as they were filling up fast. It was 8:15 which meant we were gonna have to just sit around for an hour before the parade would get to us. I wasn’t too thrilled about that, but if we wanted a good view, that’s what was going to be necessary. We got a space right at the end of the parade route near Pecos Bill’s.

At around 9:20 or so, the parade reached us. It was as I remembered. Emily claims it’s not the one she saw in 2000 when we went and she didn’t really care for it. She thinks she saw the Main Street Electrical Parade. I’ve been trying to tell her that Spectro replaced MSEP prior to 2000 so she couldn’t have seen it. Am I wrong? Were they running both at some point?

Ok, now it was time for the worst part of the trip—exiting the Magic Kingdom after a parade and prior to a fireworks show. To put it mildly, it sucked. We pretty much decided that in the future, if we could get away with it, we would skip any evening parades and fireworks at the Magic Kingdom. Now, will we hold to that? I don’t know, but I know neither one of us wants to do that again!

Exhausted, we got back to the hotel at around 11. Sleepy time!

Next Up: Disney/MGM Studios and MK

Sweetums

Original Poster
Disney/MGM and MK--4/28

Friday, April 28th—

Being the nice guy that I am, I let us sleep in this day. Of course, sleeping in still has us up by 8.

We got on the bus for Disney/MGM Studios at around 9. When we got there, we headed for Playhouse Disney Live. We got in line for the 9:30 show and got in pretty quickly. The show was great. Jacob seemed to really enjoy it and even got up and did some dancing. After that show, we went to the Little Mermaid and got right in via the Fast Pass line. (I went and got the FP’s right before we did Playhouse Disney) Great show, as usual.

We went to MuppetVision next. This is one of my favorite attractions—go figure, from my screen name! :) It was a lot of fun and very nostalgic for me—I spent a lot of time there when I worked in Entertainment…(hint, hint)

When we exited MuppetVision, we looked over and saw Woody and Buzz out in front of Al’s Toy Barn. We went over to get in each line for some pictures and video. Jacob is a big fan of both, but probably more so with Buzz. (That’s who is on his light up shoes) My plan was for us to see the first Beauty and the Beast show at 11:30 but by the time we finished with Buzz and Woody, it was 11:30.

Good time to eat lunch. Pizza Planet was right there, so that’s where we ended up going. It was fine. After we ate, we headed toward the front of the park/Sunset Blvd in order to catch the second B&B show at 12:30.

Though not as often as MuppetVision, I also used to be involved with the B&B show so I was looking forward to seeing it and reminiscing. It has changed quite a bit—for the better, I might add. It flowed better and followed the story line more logically than when I was there. They also took out the bat sequence which never really made sense to me. Also—the Beast’s fight with Gaston and death—WOW! I was really impressed. I also loved the barbershop quartet that sang before the show (forgot what they are called). They were awesome!

After B&B, we left the park to go back to the Magic Kingdom. It was tough to not go on Great Movie Ride (my first Disney job) or Star Tours (my second), but there was more at MK I wanted Jacob to see. I think GMR would be too scary for him (with the witch, Alien) plus, he doesn’t know any of the movies or stars that it goes into. Star Tours, too, I think would be a little too intense. But, I can’t wait to take him in a few years when we go back (assuming they are both still there). We did go into the Tattooine Traders, though, so that was cool.

When we got to MK, we headed to Tomorrowland. We noticed right away that the park was a lot less crowded than the day before. I got us Fast Passes for Buzz Lightyear, even though there was only a 20 minute wait. We walked onto Carousel of Progress which Jacob slept through. (He fell asleep in his stroller on the walk to Tomorrowland). He woke up at the end of Carousel, which must have been a little weird. Then, we went to Buzz Lightyear. There was only a 10 minute wait so I ended up not even needing my Fast Passes. Buzz was fun except that I made the mistake of challenging Emily to see who could get the most points. She didn’t just win—she CRUSHED me. I tried to blame it on the fact that I was trying to help Jacob with the spin control thingy, but the fact is, I just plain stink at that game.

After Buzz, we went to the Speedway. Jacob had noticed it the day before and was anxious to get to drive a car. He and I got in line and Emily went to go shopping. (Don’t ask what the souvenir bill was!) The posted wait time was 30 minutes, but I think we were on in 15. Jacob steered and I did the gas pedal. He had a blast. He kept pointing out various imaginary animals. “Look—dare is a crocodile. He is chasing us.”

We left the Speedway and found Emily again. Then, we walked to Frontierland so we could see the Country Bears. There was about a 12 minute wait for the next show. We hung out in the lobby and then went in. Jake seemed to like it ok. I thought I remembered the talking heads (Buff and the others whose names escape me now) being there on the other side when you exit. But, it was just the restaurant. Oh, well.

It was just about time for us to go, but I wanted to walk by Jungle Cruise one more time to maybe go on if the wait wasn’t too bad. It was posted at 20 minutes so Jake and I got in line. 15 minutes later, we were on board for our final journey into the jungle.

After that, we left the park so we could go over to the Contemporary for our dinner at Chef Mickey’s. We rode the monorail, which was fun. It had a weird smell, though. We thought it smelled like a stable or something.

Chef Mickey’s was fun. We saw Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Chip and Dale. The food was good too. Service was ok, again, not as attentive as I’d have liked.

After dinner, we went down to the gift shop and bought a couple of souvenir books. Then we got on the monorail to the TTC. (noticed the smell again)

I told Emily that we would be able to catch a bus to AKL from TTC. I was wrong. We had to get back on the monorail—I had us get on the one to EPCOT reasoning that EPCOT was closer to AKL than MK. (it had the “stable” smell too!) So we got off the monorail at EPCOT and then went to the bus stop to catch the bus back to AKL.

I think we got back by 7:30 or 8 and we called it a night.

Next Up: The final day...:cry:

Sweetums

Original Poster
Our Last Day :cry:

Well, it had to come to an end at some point...

Saturday, April 29th

We woke up at around 7 for our last day at Disney World. :( We still had two counter-service meals to use on the Dining Plan so we went down to The Mara for breakfast. It was good, but we found out that you don’t get dessert with breakfast counter-service like you do with lunch and dinner. So—you definitely get more “bang” from your buck using the counter service for lunch and dinner vs. breakfast. Breakfast was good, though and it we enjoyed sitting outside to eat.

After breakfast, we went over to the little playground and let Jacob run around while Emily and I sat on a bench to enjoy our morning coffee. We walked around outside, just sort of looking at all the great scenery. Then, at 9 am, we went to the Flamingo Pond where there was a scheduled activity.

There are always activities going on at AKL. We missed most of them since we were at the park, but it’s pretty cool. The kids can earn beads for completing some of them and then they have a souvenir necklace once they’ve done them all.

This particular activity was designed to show kids how flamingos and pelicans eat. For flamingos, the kids each had a comb and had to use it to filter the “food” at the bottom of some containers filled with water. For pelicans, they had nets that they used to pick up little rubber fish. It was really a neat idea. Jacob, however, didn’t seem to have any use for the instructions—he just stuck his hands in while the CM was giving directions and pulled stuff out. :) At the end, he got a piece of string and a bead which he was pretty proud of.

We then went back to the room so we could start getting our stuff together. Checkout was at 11 and I was unable to get it extended. We hauled all of our luggage down to the lobby and I waited with it while Emily and Jacob went to the hotel gift shop one more time. I really would have liked to have been able to check our bags there, but, alas, Southwest isn’t one of the airlines that participate in that program.

When Emily and Jacob got back, we headed outside to await our Magical Express bus. We were scheduled for 11:30. I thought that seemed too early since our plane didn’t leave until 2:40. It wasn’t. The bus showed up at 11:40 or 11:45. We got on and then it had to go to Pop Century to pick up more people. Then, we were off to the airport. It seemed like it took longer to go back to the airport than it did coming to the hotel. Also, on the ride back, there was a video welcoming us to WDW and then some other videos about Disney World and Magical Express. On the day we arrived, there was no video. Hmmm….

Well, we got to the airport and checked our luggage. It was quite crowded there. Made it to the gate with time to spare, but not a whole lot—probably a ½ hour, which was plenty, but made me realize I was glad they had us get picked up when they did.

The flight was uneventful and we got back to Houston in one piece. And now, here I am, writing about the trip and wishing we could still be there….. :)

Next Up: Lessons Learned

Sweetums

Original Poster
CAPTAIN HOOK said:
You weren't kidding when you said it was long :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Yeah, I realized I got a bit carried away... :D Just kept remembering things and by typing it all out it's like I was there again. Of course, my work day has been shot. Oops. :lookaroun

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Great reports, thanks so much for sharing.
I agree wholeheartedly in starting early. Even during the busiest of days, you have a window of a few AM hours where you can experience a lot.

Sounds like you did a great job with your "junior" tourguide as well. Always makes "getting into a rhythm" a bit difficult.

One other thing....that monorail "perfume" has been there for a very long time...:lookaroun

Glad you had a great trip!

DisneyMarg

Great report! We were there last week and at AKL on Wednesday when you were - maybe even in the same Festival of the Lion King show. We rode the Safaris after the parade instead of before.
And I was in Houston the week before, so our paths may have crossed SOMEWHERE along the way!

Sweetums

Original Poster
DisneyMarg said:
Great report! We were there last week and at AKL on Wednesday when you were - maybe even in the same Festival of the Lion King show. We rode the Safaris after the parade instead of before.
And I was in Houston the week before, so our paths may have crossed SOMEWHERE along the way!

So that was you!!! :p :wave:

Well, this weekend I'm going to Louisiana--now if you tell me you will be there too, that'll be just downright WEIRD...:drevil:

Sweetums

Original Poster
ClemsonTigger said:
Great reports, thanks so much for sharing.
I agree wholeheartedly in starting early. Even during the busiest of days, you have a window of a few AM hours where you can experience a lot.

Sounds like you did a great job with your "junior" tourguide as well. Always makes "getting into a rhythm" a bit difficult.

One other thing....that monorail "perfume" has been there for a very long time...:lookaroun

Glad you had a great trip!

Thanks! Yeah, I was wondering how it would go with a toddler, but he really did great. Can't wait to take him again in a few years--he is already excited about seeing the yeti "when I get bigger", as he says.

Nemo14

Great trip report. Seeing WDW through a toddler's eyes is just fantastic , as I'm sure you realize now. Your next visit will be even more magical!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom