JEDI TRAINING - HARD TO SIGN UP?

Spikerdink

Original Poster
Hi, everyone -

I am getting excited since I am taking my soon to be 5 year old cousin to WDW - starting the new generation of Disney worshippers. (besides, I need someone to leave my DVC to when I die....)

I have been reading about what rides he can/can not do and am building a list of experiences I think he would enjoy. One that I know he would love is the Jedi Training. Anyone have experience with the process to sign up? Do I need to be there right at park open? Where do I sign him up?

Any information anyone has is greatly appreciated.

BTW - we are heading to WDW in August and staying at AKL....

Hinwill

Hi, everyone -

I am getting excited since I am taking my soon to be 5 year old cousin to WDW - starting the new generation of Disney worshippers. (besides, I need someone to leave my DVC to when I die....)

I have been reading about what rides he can/can not do and am building a list of experiences I think he would enjoy. One that I know he would love is the Jedi Training. Anyone have experience with the process to sign up? Do I need to be there right at park open? Where do I sign him up?

NYwdwfan

Hi, everyone -

It's been a few years since we did it so I apologize if the procedure has changed:

- Get there early - they sign kids up in the order they arrive - at the Indiana Jones outpost (see post below for details). We made a breakfast reservation at Hollywood & Vine so we were in the park before it opened and were able to get over there right after rope drop. There were around 15 kids to a show and once the first time slot is filled, they move on to the next slot, etc. If it's not going to be a busy week and you are planning to spend the entire day at DHS you shouldn't have an issue getting in, but if you have a lunch reservation elsewhere you would want to try for one of the earlier shows.

- Your child must be with you to sign up.

- They will transfer the photopass pictures to your own card at any location but I've always found that Cover Story (on the left on your way out of the park) is quick and convenient. Just don't do what I did - I had taken pictures of all my photopass cards in case I lost them and then made sure I had them all added to my photopass account when I got home. I accidentally added the one from JTA so I ended up with pictures of other people's kids anyway!!

Last edited:

SAV

It was June of 2013 when we did it and we got to DHS at about 8:30am for the 9:00am opening. We were out a ways in the line. Got through security/scanned our MB and went right to the sign up location. We ended up with the 12:30pm session.

They do give you a return-by time and if you aren't there, they have other kids waiting on stand-by to take your place.

Weather_Lady

Note that the sign-up location has changed, and is no longer by the old "Sounds Dangerous Building."

Per the Disney website at https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/hollywood-studios/star-wars-jedi-training/:
Sign-ups are [now] located at "the Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost located between the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! and the 50's Prime Time Café."

In other words, show up before rope drop, and when the park opens, head down Hollywood Blvd. and take your first left. There will be cast members with signs directing interested participants toward the sign-up area for Jedi Training Academy. Head straight, past 50s Primetime, and you'll see the line ahead (and rest assured, there will be people in front of you and next to you, literally running to get there, so you can't miss it.) Be sure your child is present with you, and ready to answer questions (name, age, etc.). If you are given any choice about which show, keep in mind that participants need to arrive 30 minutes prior to showtime, so to the extent possible, leave yourself plenty of time around any ADRs or FP+.

They have doubled the capacity of the show (30 kids instead of 15), so it's not as difficult as it once was to have your child participate, but you still need to head over to sign-ups, first thing after rope drop, if they want to be in the show.

Last edited:

NYwdwfan

Note that the sign-up location has changed, and is no longer by the old "Sounds Dangerous Building."

Per the Disney website at https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/hollywood-studios/star-wars-jedi-training/:
Sign-ups are [now] located at "the Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost located between the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! and the 50's Prime Time Café."

In other words, show up before rope drop, and when the park opens, head down Hollywood Blvd. and take your first left. There will be cast members with signs directing interested participants toward the sign-up area for Jedi Training Academy. Head straight, past 50s Primetime, and you'll see the line ahead (and rest assured, there will be people in front of you and next to you, literally running to get there, so you can't miss it.) Be sure your child is present with you, and ready to answer questions (name, age, etc.). If you are given any choice about which show, keep in mind that participants need to arrive 30 minutes prior to showtime, so to the extent possible, leave yourself plenty of time around any ADRs or FP+.

Thanks - I had a feeling it had changed - I amended my post to avoid any confusion .

Minthorne

Thanks for the information everyone! Looks like a rope drop morning for us! Especially in the August heat, I think an earlier show would be better for Evan.....

Gonna be there in August too 8/16-23 at the Poly with my friend and his family - I'm sure I'll be with his 2 kids lined up in the sun too.

Last edited:

Witchy Chick

As suggested in an earlier post, we had breakfast at H&V last week (Fri April 15) so we could eat and line up for Jedi signup.

My DH noticed "the running of the bulls" while we were eating (so approx 8:30, 8:40am? -- park opening). I grabbed the kids and we lined up for Jedi signup, we were probably about 25-30 spots back in line (with some spots having multiple kids).

When we got to the actual signup tables, the next available shows were 11:10am (two spots left) and 11:40am. (I'm assuming shows later than 11:40 still had plenty of spots available, but that's an assumption so take it for what it's worth.) Both of those show times worked for us, so we were in great shape.

If you have more than one kid participating, try to have them in the same line/platform. My two got separated somehow, so DD7 was on the top platform fighting Vader and DS6 was on the lower platform fighting the Seventh Sister. The only hassle/snafu we had with that set up was we were only given one PhotoPass code to retrieve the pictures (DD7's). Once we got home, I called PhotoPass though and they were very helpful in giving me the lower platform code and I was able to claim DS6's pictures also.

Have lots of fun!!

Megbutnotmegan

My son participated last month. It was his favorite part of the trip. He turned 4 the week before our trip so the leader had a great time joking about him being "ewok" size and saying he probably didn't need to duck. My son still "trains" anyone who is willing to play lightsaber with him. We had breakfast reservations before the park opened and my husband was able to sign him up before we were seated. He was in the first session and the line was nearby the meeting place. It was forever long at that point and people were complaining that they had gotten there at park open and were waiting in line for over an hour already. So if this is a priority for your family I totally recommend doing early breakfast and seeing if you can sign up before you eat!

allisonmomofthree

My son participated last month. It was his favorite part of the trip. He turned 4 the week before our trip so the leader had a great time joking about him being "ewok" size and saying he probably didn't need to duck. My son still "trains" anyone who is willing to play lightsaber with him. We had breakfast reservations before the park opened and my husband was able to sign him up before we were seated. He was in the first session and the line was nearby the meeting place. It was forever long at that point and people were complaining that they had gotten there at park open and were waiting in line for over an hour already. So if this is a priority for your family I totally recommend doing early breakfast and seeing if you can sign up before you eat!

Where did y'all eat? Just wondering what's over by there :) Thanks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom