I've never flown southwest before what should i know?

hrmom26

Original Poster
i have always flown jetblue and this time i am going southwest what should i know? i have one stop over also, i'm flying with my two kids ages 19 and 16.

JasonDeyoung

I flew Southwest for the first time and was nervous about the boarding procedure so I got the "early bird" which is basically 12$ and they check you in automatically so you can get a better "spot". The boarding was different but hassle free, no assigned seats so that was oddto me but it worked

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Do the early bird if you are not buying business select. They board in groups by number. First the A group then B then C. If your stop over does not require you to deplane then you can move seats after they get their through count. They only serve peanuts and pretzels so eat or get a snack to take with you before you board. If you preboard you can not sit in an emergency exit row. They are strict on the one carry on and one personal item.

disney4life2008

I love Southwest - much better than any other airline (JetBlue excluded as ive never flown with them). Early Bird is not required - perse. If you check in for your outbound and returning flights at the 24 hour mark you should be in the lower A high B group (sometimes higher). If I recall if you have kids - you board early anyway. As for snacks - you get peanuts, cookies, pretzels and soda/water. Some complain - but this is enough for me. I do not want a full meal heading to disneyworld as I normally have some type of ADR for an early lunch. For my August trip I am going to have a light breakfast at the airport as my flight leaves at 530am and I arrive at 730am. Southwest also usually runs a few minutes early. And no assigned seating is what makes Southwest great - its your choice. I like being up in the front outbound but way in the back returning so I can sleep in peace. And who can forget - free luggage :)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I love Southwest - much better than any other airline (JetBlue excluded as ive never flown with them). Early Bird is not required - perse. If you check in for your outbound and returning flights at the 24 hour mark you should be in the lower A high B group (sometimes higher). If I recall if you have kids - you board early anyway. As for snacks - you get peanuts, cookies, pretzels and soda/water. Some complain - but this is enough for me. I do not want a full meal heading to disneyworld as I normally have some type of ADR for an early lunch. For my August trip I am going to have a light breakfast at the airport as my flight leaves at 530am and I arrive at 730am. Southwest also usually runs a few minutes early. And no assigned seating is what makes Southwest great - its your choice. I like being up in the front outbound but way in the back returning so I can sleep in peace. And who can forget - free luggage :)
Not teenage kids...

harveyt0206

I second the emotion. We always fly Southwest. They have always provided us with great customer service.

DisneyPrincess5

We've flown Soithwest a few times and always had good experiences. We now fly Jetblue only because we love having the headrest tv and prefer to know our seats prior to our flight.

aw14

We flew southwest previously and it was fine. The concern of sitting together was no big deal for us, except forthw DD. We are flying usair next Sunday which has always been just as easy.

Can't lose either way

PigletIsMyCat

southwest is a love/hate thing for me. i live 9 minutes away from an airport southwest regularly flies to orlando from, but their seats are smaller than jetblue and i'm a big gal. we usually fly jetblue one way and southwest the other because i get jetblue points with my amex card and we fly for freeeeee!! the $12 early bird check in is def worth it if you don't have the app/won't be near the computer/can't check in exactly 24 hours prior to your flight. and yes, you have children, but they're old enough that you won't get pre boarding.

disney4life2008

southwest is a love/hate thing for me. i live 9 minutes away from an airport southwest regularly flies to orlando from, but their seats are smaller than jetblue and i'm a big gal. we usually fly jetblue one way and southwest the other because i get jetblue points with my amex card and we fly for freeeeee!! the $12 early bird check in is def worth it if you don't have the app/won't be near the computer/can't check in exactly 24 hours prior to your flight. and yes, you have children, but they're old enough that you won't get pre boarding.

I am 5'7, 350lbs, ive never had a problem on southwest. American Airlines on the other hand - the worst. And where I live - we have to fly out the regional airport first to get to Ohare - those seats are children (its the small plane with like 20 seats).

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
6'2 300ish. No probs for the most part. Broad shoulders are the problem. With the new seat configuration the arm rests are higher above the hips.

PigletIsMyCat

new seat configuration? since when? that was usually my biggest problem - hubby and i would put the armrest between us up and i'd scooch over toward his side. i'm 5'7" and too self-conscious to share my weight, but i'm definitely a big girl. i haven't flown southwest in about two years, so it's possible i've missed something.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
new seat configuration? since when? that was usually my biggest problem - hubby and i would put the armrest between us up and i'd scooch over toward his side. i'm 5'7" and too self-conscious to share my weight, but i'm definitely a big girl. i haven't flown southwest in about two years, so it's possible i've missed something.
I think they finished with interior refurbs within the year. There is also an exit row that has only two seats. It's great for leaning.

PigletIsMyCat

I think they finished with interior refurbs within the year. There is also an exit row that has only two seats. It's great for leaning.

that two seat exit row is our go-to. hubby loves the exit rows since he's 6'2" and has back problems - he is more comfortable if he can stretch out his legs.

disney4life2008

You can raise the arm rest especially if you are sitting with someone you know. Its more a problem for me because I travel solo but as of late - the person sitting next to me has not minded

SAV

I flew Southwest in June and loved it. I was in High B on the departure and Mid-low A on the return flight. We were able to find seats together both ways and I got lucky and I always had an extra seat open in my row, so I wasn't jammed in there. It was also the cheapest airfare I found.

I loved using their in flight app to track our speed and location as we flew. My son was able to watch some shows on his iPod in flight as well. All for free.

Free Baggage!!! BONUS.

If the price is right, I will have no hesitation using them going forward.

seahawk7

I have a 19 year old and a 15 year old. When we check in at the 24 hour marker, we always have different boarding numbers. For instance my son will be in the A group while my daughter and I have the B group. My son then just saves two seats in the first empty row of three he finds. We have never had a problem doing this.
We love flying Southwest and since we get two free bags checked in, we always take an empty one or one filled with food then use it for our souvenirs.
And you can check in on your phone for the flight back home while in the parks. No need to print boarding pass then, at the airport they will print it out for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom