Trip Report **COMPLETED** It's My Mom's Birthday (and it's still a hot one)!

Hey guys, since I essentially failed at making a live TR I will be doing a real one :joyfull::joyfull: I give all you live trip reporters credit! I kept forgetting!! To be fair, though, I have my hands tied most of the time taking videos for my YouTube channel :)

Who?
I'm sure you know but it was my Mom (Mary) and I (Megan)!
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_403548362371.JPG

When?
August 8 - 13, 2017

Where?
The Contemporary!

Why?
Today is my Mom's actual Birthday but she can't get off easily on Monday's since its her long day so we went earlier to celebrate her Birthday - ish :)

Day 1 - August 8, 2017
My Mom had to work a half day so I impatiently waited to leave for Disney :rolleyes:. When she got home we checked our luggage, went for a walk and relaxed before my Dad got home to drive us to the airport.
The Gang was ready to go..:joyfull: We are weird I know!
DSC_5160.jpg

DSC_5162.jpg

DSC_5163.jpg

We left for the Airport around 3:30, got there around 3:45, and we had our bags checked and went through security by 3:50 :p I love the Buffalo airport!
We were starving since neither of us ate anything but breakfast so we headed to the Anchor Bar (birthplace of chicken wings). (PS For anyone not from Buffalo who wants to visit and try chicken wings let me know...I can name at least 10 spots better than the Anchor Bar :p)
DSC_5166.jpg

DSC_5167.jpg

We split the appetizer sampler like we always do :) Boneless wings, chicken wings and mozzarella sticks. So healthy! ;)
DSC_5172.jpg

After dinner we headed to our gate to wait for our flight. In the morning of this day there was a fatal hit and run right outside the airport which was sad enough but while we were waiting I found out it was one of my friend/co-worker's uncles. So sad :(. They still haven't found the guy driving the car either :(:(
We were watching the news while we waited to see if they had any leads and soon enough it was time to board the plane.
DSC_5173.jpg

DSC_5175.jpg

DSC_5174.jpg

Next up: Getting to Florida!

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 3 August 10, 2017
They must have been doing some construction overnight because at one point we woke up to some loud beeping :joyfull: We slept with the shades open so we could see the castle at night but once that beeping started I closed the shades and it blocked out the noise which is odd but nice :) Anyway we got up around 7 but my Mom wasn't feeling well so we took our time this morning. We had a reservation for breakfast at Trails End but neither one of us was feeling a big breakfast so we sat on the balcony and relaxed before getting something small at Contempo Cafe. Eventually my Mom was feeling better so we headed out. Life lesson: don't push yourselves too much when its super hot out...we both paid a small price :p
We headed down to the bus stop and waited about 25 minutes for a bus to AK. I don't know what it is about deluxe resorts but I feel like the buses are extra slow. We didn't care too much though since we weren't exactly in a hurry :)
DSC_5414.jpg

DSC_5415.jpg

There are some days where you are extra grateful for the AP line and this was one of them!
DSC_5416.jpg

I was already glistening with sweat :rolleyes:
DSC_5418.jpg

We stopped for some PP pictures because we had quite a bit of time before our first FP. I know they probably do it on purpose but the morning PP photographers are SO slow!
PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_404093907923.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_404093907930.JPG

We decided to head over towards Dinoland
DSC_5419.jpg

Along the way I was saying how we don't really meet any characters at Animal Kingdom so we popped into Pocahontas' M and G line since its right there. It wasn't too long of a line but we spent our time trying to decide which one of my Birthday parties was Pocahontas themed :) We still can't decide haha we need to look at some pictures.
PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_404094195557.JPG

Pocahontas was pretty lack luster but we never met her before so we were still happy to meet her!
These pictures are from her que....very pretty down there!
DSC_5424.jpg

DSC_5425.jpg

Next up: More AK

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 3 continued
We finally made our way down to Dinosaur but the wait was pretty long so we decided not to wait.
DSC_5427.jpg

Instead we wandered around for a few minutes and happened to see Pluto and Goofy come out so we decided to meet them!
PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_404094631960.JPG

We then decided to meet Donald :joyfull:
PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_404095398564.JPG

Tricera Top Spin had no wait so we headed there next :)
DSC_5431.jpg

DSC_5432.jpg

DSC_5436.jpg

DSC_5438.jpg

It was finally time for our first FP so we headed towards Everest!
PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_404095059021.JPG

DSC_5441.jpg

DSC_5442.jpg

Last edited:

Songbird76

Day 2 continued
The Contemporary pool is pretty lame to be honest. Just seems odd compared to how cool most other pools are...its needs an update!!
Seeing the hotel is pretty neat though :)
So are you saying the contemporary's pool isn't very contemporary?
I said Hannah Montana and the lifeguard was like "Hannah Montana - THE MOVIE :p:p" Also a case where he and I were probably the only ones the right age to know that :)
Is that the "Pop it, lock it" one? My immediate thought was Whose Line is it Anyway, but then you said Hannah Montana, and I realized that is different.

Songbird76

Day 3 August 10, 2017
They must have been doing some construction overnight because at one point we woke up to some loud beeping :joyfull: We slept with the shades open so we could see the castle at night but once that beeping started I closed the shades and it blocked out the noise which is odd but nice :) Anyway we got up around 7 but my Mom wasn't feeling well so we took our time this morning. We had a reservation for breakfast at Trails End but neither one of us was feeling a big breakfast so we sat on the balcony and relaxed before getting something small at Contempo Cafe. Eventually my Mom was feeling better so we headed out. Life lesson: don't push yourselves too much when its super hot out...we both paid a small price :p
We headed down to the bus stop and waited about 25 minutes for a bus to AK. I don't know what it is about deluxe resorts but I feel like the buses are extra slow. We didn't care too much though since we weren't exactly in a hurry :)
View attachment 223422
View attachment 223424
There are some days where you are extra grateful for the AP line and this was one of them!
View attachment 223425
I was already glistening with sweat :rolleyes:
View attachment 223426
We stopped for some PP pictures because we had quite a bit of time before our first FP. I know they probably do it on purpose but the morning PP photographers are SO slow!
View attachment 223427
View attachment 223428
We decided to head over towards Dinoland
View attachment 223429
Along the way I was saying how we don't really meet any characters at Animal Kingdom so we popped into Pocahontas' M and G line since its right there. It wasn't too long of a line but we spent our time trying to decide which one of my Birthday parties was Pocahontas themed :) We still can't decide haha we need to look at some pictures.
View attachment 223430
Pocahontas was pretty lack luster but we never met her before so we were still happy to meet her!
These pictures are from her que....very pretty down there!
View attachment 223432
View attachment 223433

I love your outfit! Those shorts are adorable!!
Pocahontas looks like she'd be more suited for Belle or Jasmine...her features don't look anything like Pocahontas.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
So are you saying the contemporary's pool isn't very contemporary?

Is that the "Pop it, lock it" one? My immediate thought was Whose Line is it Anyway, but then you said Hannah Montana, and I realized that is different.

The Contemporary pool is absolutely NOT Contemporary :joyfull: Yes the pop it lock it one. I forgot they used to do that ion Whose Line is it Anyway!

I love your outfit! Those shorts are adorable!!
Pocahontas looks like she'd be more suited for Belle or Jasmine...her features don't look anything like Pocahontas.

Thank you so much! Yea she wasn't a great Pocahontas all around!

Love your dress!!

Thank you! Its a little big on me though haha should have gone down a size

PrincessNelly_NJ

Day 2 continued
After getting back from Epcot we headed down to the pool! Well, first we came back to some post cards from DVC :) Maybe someday DVC...but can't afford that downpayment anytime soon :p:p
View attachment 223156
View attachment 223151
View attachment 223152
The Contemporary pool is pretty lame to be honest. Just seems odd compared to how cool most other pools are...its needs an update!!
Seeing the hotel is pretty neat though :)
View attachment 223157
View attachment 223158
The nice thing was the pool was dead! They were doing lifeguard training so we entertained ourselves by watching the poor girl constantly dive for a towel :) We also played some trivia and found out that Chip and Dale are not brothers...just best friends. Whoops! The CM also asked what their favorite snack was and I mumbled popcorn (based off the VERY old Donald Duck cartoon about them stealing popcorn). My Mom heard me say popcorn and said it out loud (also she did it again when I said acorns). :joyfull::joyfull: Its chocolate chip cookies but the CM did say popcorn was a good guess! He was older so maybe he knew the cartoon :p. I also guessed the height of Splash Mountain wrong but the CM thought I said 50 ft and said I was correct :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
At some point a different CM came out for the dance party and he was an incredible dancer. He did the whole single ladies dance on his own while everyone on the pool deck watched and cheered him on! He also was teaching the Hoedown Throwdown dance and he asked if anyone knew what the song was from. I said Hannah Montana and the lifeguard was like "Hannah Montana - THE MOVIE :p:p" Also a case where he and I were probably the only ones the right age to know that :)
View attachment 223159
Even though it was very hot and we didn't really feel like it we felt like we needed to grab a drink :joyfull:
My Mom chose the Moscato Colada
View attachment 223160
I got the Captain's Man Tai
View attachment 223163
We both drank only about half of the drinks :)
View of the hotel from our seats :)
View attachment 223164
Whats nice is the Contemporary still has quite a bit of beach left :)
View attachment 223165

Next up: MK!
I've also found the pool at the contemporary to be lame too. Cute bathing suit, mind me asking where its from?

Big Hair

I stayed at Bay Lake Tower a couple years ago at the north end. We had a nice view of the end of the lake and of the Magic Kingdom but we ran into the beeping sound. We arrived late and left early it was our first day, transition day. The beeping noise came from the trucks delivering Linens and such during the night and early morning. it was a bit irritating just like it woke you up but they have to restock the stuff somehow. You would figure there be some other magical way they would do it.

Minnesota disney fan

I'm late to the party,too, but am enjoying following very much. I will have to hint to my daughter about you taking your mother to WDW for her birthday!LOL! Staying at the Contemporary in a MK view is on my bucket list too. The fireworks look awesome. Thanks for the great report and pictures!

Allym146

Hey guys, since I essentially failed at making a live TR I will be doing a real one :joyfull::joyfull: I give all you live trip reporters credit! I kept forgetting!! To be fair, though, I have my hands tied most of the time taking videos for my YouTube channel :)

Who?
I'm sure you know but it was my Mom (Mary) and I (Megan)!
View attachment 222492

When?
August 8 - 13, 2017

Where?
The Contemporary!

Why?
Today is my Mom's actual Birthday but she can't get off easily on Monday's since its her long day so we went earlier to celebrate her Birthday - ish :)

Day 1 - August 8, 2017
My Mom had to work a half day so I impatiently waited to leave for Disney :rolleyes:. When she got home we checked our luggage, went for a walk and relaxed before my Dad got home to drive us to the airport.
The Gang was ready to go..:joyfull: We are weird I know!
View attachment 222498
View attachment 222500
View attachment 222501
We left for the Airport around 3:30, got there around 3:45, and we had our bags checked and went through security by 3:50 :p I love the Buffalo airport!
We were starving since neither of us ate anything but breakfast so we headed to the Anchor Bar (birthplace of chicken wings). (PS For anyone not from Buffalo who wants to visit and try chicken wings let me know...I can name at least 10 spots better than the Anchor Bar :p)
View attachment 222503
View attachment 222504
We split the appetizer sampler like we always do :) Boneless wings, chicken wings and mozzarella sticks. So healthy! ;)
View attachment 222505
After dinner we headed to our gate to wait for our flight. In the morning of this day there was a fatal hit and run right outside the airport which was sad enough but while we were waiting I found out it was one of my friend/co-worker's uncles. So sad :(. They still haven't found the guy driving the car either :(:(
We were watching the news while we waited to see if they had any leads and soon enough it was time to board the plane.
View attachment 222506
View attachment 222507
View attachment 222508

Next up: Getting to Florida!

100% with you on naming at least 10 better places for wings in buffalo! I do not get the anchor bar love??

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I stayed at Bay Lake Tower a couple years ago at the north end. We had a nice view of the end of the lake and of the Magic Kingdom but we ran into the beeping sound. We arrived late and left early it was our first day, transition day. The beeping noise came from the trucks delivering Linens and such during the night and early morning. it was a bit irritating just like it woke you up but they have to restock the stuff somehow. You would figure there be some other magical way they would do it.

OH! That makes perfect sense then. It was VERY loud!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom