"it's a small world" 50th anniversary celebration

Expo_Seeker40

The only plans I know to celebrate the 50th anniversary of "it's a small world" will be at Disneyland where the original one from the world's fair is. Rumors indicate ABC Good Morning America will be reporting from Disneyland on or around April 22nd (the 50th anniversary of the Grand Opening of the Fair)

I've heard nothing regarding the Carousel of Progress or Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. Sad, really.

There are plans underway to have 50th anniversary celebrations if not in April (due to weather) but likely in June and throughout the summer in Flushing Meadows in Queens, NY at the Queens Museum and the Hall of Science with '64 World's Fair exhibits.

Figments Friend

It would be great if CoP received a nod, too.
It's like the 'forgotten Attraction'.....in some respects.
I know i would personally enjoy seeing the ol' Carousel getting some attention.

Nice to see a honoring of the 50th...completely deserves the recognition.
It helps bring to light some history newer Park Fans may not be aware of.
I get the impression sometimes that folks forget about how incredibly important..no, downright crucial a step it was for Walt Disney Productions and WED to be involved in a big way at the World's Fair in 64'/65'.
The Attractions they created for the four Pavilions they were a part of really opened a lot of doors to the things we would all enjoy later down the road at DL and WDW.
Everything from Omnimover-type ride systems, to pre-Peoplemover/WEDway systems...to more lifelike Animatronic performances, to systems that moved massive amounts of people through a presentation or Attraction.
The lessons learned, and the insight gained was a big stepping stone to bigger things down the road.
Both Walt Disney World and particularly EPCOT Center were immensely influenced by that World's Fair in particular.
We would likely not even HAVE a Walt Disney World if it were not for the Fair!

It has been said that the Fair was the 'testing ground' for Walt to see if Disneyland's type of entertainment would be of interest to the public on the East Coast.
Hard to believe, but back then in the early 60s there was actually some doubt that Walt's brand of Theme Park diversions would be accepted in a area outside of the 'fantasy world' of Hollywoodland.
After the success of the Disney-created Pavilion Attractions at the World's Fair however, it was clear that there was no reason to doubt.
It was wholeheartedly decided soon after seeing the positive results that it held promise and plans to press forward with building a 'Disney World' on the East Coast were put into motion.

Same with EPCOT Center...which shares even more obvious similarities and inspirations from it's World Fair forebearers.
From the unique Pavilion designs and architecture, to the Attractions within that presented at a high capacity, EPCOT certainly captured some of that spirit...particularly in it's original form...of World's Fairs of yore.

I will confess that i kind of geeked out when i recently visited New York City again to meet up with a friend.
Of all the things i could have chosen to do, it was visiting the Fair grounds in Flushing Meadows that had me most excited from a fan standpoint.
So on that freezing January day, with 1965 Guide Book in hand, the two of us set out to walk the entire grounds...'finding' where all the old Attractions used to be, and not just the Disney related ones.
It was quite a memorable visit.

As a big EPCOT Center fan, i was blown away by all the references and similarities i saw..just looking at the old 65' maps.
Everything from the division of the property into 'Industrial' and 'International' areas, to unique fountains, to a large body of water were present.
The similarities were remarkable to see in person once being more aware of the backstory, and seeing 'what used to be' thanks to that old Fair Guide Book.

I seriously recommend any EPCOT fan make a visit if you are ever in NYC.
Get one of those Guide Books/Maps off of eBay ...and take the walk around the grounds holding that map in your hands.
It really gives you a interesting perspective.

Last edited:

dreamfinder

Well, in Jim Hill's recent article digging through recent domain names that Disney has registered, there were a few that pointed to a possible 50th celebration for Small World. Take that for what you will.

montyz81

It would be great if CoP received a nod, too.
It's like the 'forgotten Attraction'.....in some respects.
I know i would personally enjoy seeing the ol' Carousel getting some attention.

Nice to see a honoring of the 50th...completely deserves the recognition.
It helps bring to light some history newer Park Fans may not be aware of.
I get the impression sometimes that folks forget about how incredibly important..no, downright crucial a step it was for Walt Disney Productions and WED to be involved in a big way at the World's Fair in 64'/65'.
The Attractions they created for the four Pavilions they were a part of really opened a lot of doors to the things we would all enjoy later down the road at DL and WDW.
Everything from Omnimover-type ride systems, to pre-Peoplemover/WEDway systems...to more lifelike Animatronic performances, to systems that moved massive amounts of people through a presentation or Attraction.
The lessons learned, and the insight gained was a big stepping stone to bigger things down the road.
Both Walt Disney World and particularly EPCOT Center were immensely influenced by that World's Fair in particular.
We would likely not even HAVE a Walt Disney World if it were not for the Fair!

It has been said that the Fair was the 'testing ground' for Walt to see if Disneyland's type of entertainment would be of interest to the public on the East Coast.
Hard to believe, but back then in the early 60s there was actually some doubt that Walt's brand of Theme Park diversions would be accepted in a area outside of the 'fantasy world' of Hollywoodland.
After the success of the Disney-created Pavilion Attractions at the World's Fair however, it was clear that there was no reason to doubt.
It was wholeheartedly decided soon after seeing the positive results that it held promise and plans to press forward with building a 'Disney World' on the East Coast were put into motion.

Same with EPCOT Center...which shares even more obvious similarities and inspirations from it's World Fair forebearers.
From the unique Pavilion designs and architecture, to the Attractions within that presented at a high capacity, EPCOT certainly captured some of that spirit...particularly in it's original form...of World's Fairs of yore.

I will confess that i kind of geeked out when i recently visited New York City again to meet up with a friend.
Of all the things i could have chosen to do, it was visiting the Fair grounds in Flushing Meadows that had me most excited from a fan standpoint.
So on that freezing January day, with 1965 Guide Book in hand, the two of us set out to walk the entire grounds...'finding' where all the old Attractions used to be, and not just the Disney related ones.
It was quite a memorable visit.

As a big EPCOT Center fan, i was blown away by all the references and similarities i saw..just looking at the old 65' maps.
Everything from the division of the property into 'Industrial' and 'International' areas, to unique fountains, to a large body of water were present.
The similarities were remarkable to see in person once being more aware of the backstory, and seeing 'what used to be' thanks to that old Fair Guide Book.

I seriously recommend any EPCOT fan make a visit if you are ever in NYC.
Get one of those Guide Books/Maps off of eBay ...and take the walk around the grounds holding that map in your hands.
It really gives you a interesting perspective.
Great write up. I am your spiritual Epcot Center fan twin! I am now intrigued and flushing meadows is now on my bucket list.

Expo_Seeker40

I think if the Carousel of Progress were to open today brand new, it would be a success. But it would be under the consideration of having updated effects (sound and light), new seats, carpeting, etc, as well as much better animatronics, etc. The show has received very little love since it was last remodeled in 1994, but the concept of traveling thru time and seeing how far we've come...in a theater that moves is still amazing.

Bolna

They dig it in Hong Kong, and I'd venture a guess that the vast majority of HKDL's guests have never been to another Disney theme park. Of course, their iteration includes stylized Disney characters, which have since been added to the original at DLR.

My experience at DLP is that the lines for It's a small World are longer there than at WDW and most Europeans would have no clue about where it came from either. I think it is a universal and timeless concept - I guess that's what one would call a true classic!

Figments Friend

Great write up. I am your spiritual Epcot Center fan twin! I am now intrigued and flushing meadows is now on my bucket list.
Thanks for the compliment.
Yes, next time you are in the NYC area be sure to invest a afternoon and take the train over.
It is a nice stroll...and even better if you bring that old Guide Map book i mentioned.
You can literally walk most of the pathways still there and easily figure out where everything used to be.

For a EPCOT Center fan, it is a fun pilgrimage.
It is like going to a memorial park, and paying respects to EPCOT*s roots.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.

Seeing the Unisphere in person is also a thrill.
Much larger then i expected, and beautiful to see.
You will of course no doubt immediately think of SSE..!

There are also two museums worth exploring as well...with some novel displays.
Enjoy the journey!

:)

Figments Friend

I think if the Carousel of Progress were to open today brand new, it would be a success. But it would be under the consideration of having updated effects (sound and light), new seats, carpeting, etc, as well as much better animatronics, etc. The show has received very little love since it was last remodeled in 1994, but the concept of traveling thru time and seeing how far we've come...in a theater that moves is still amazing.

Yes, absolutely - the concept of CoP is great.
Thus why it would be nice to see it get some love...for it*S 50th.
If not some attention to updating the Attraction, then giving it a little press attention with the World*s Fair anniversary.

*Its a Small World* was not the only Attraction to survive post-Fair....but i can of course understand why it gets all the attention.
It is a bonified classic, internationally embraced by the masses.
Even those who have never even taken *The Happiest Cruise that Ever Sailed* know the famous song.
Instantly recognizable by anyone.

kap91

Can't the public petition for a site to be listed on that registry? If so, we could all ensure that Disney brass couldn't take it down... ever!

I believe that would also prevent them from ever modifying it substantially. Not necessarily what most people are clamoring for. Or am I thinking of a different designation?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom