36 characters
6 table service meals
5 nighttime shows, fireworks and parades
4 and a half days
3 girls
And 2 resorts
All add up to….

One magical Disney getaway!

Hey everyone! I may be home physically, but mentally I’m still in Disney World. We had a GREAT long weekend (or short week, as some people have called it) For those who have read my pre-trip report, you already know the scoop. For those who haven’t, here’s a little run down:

Who:
-Me: Darolyn (or most people call me D) age 28. Disney enthusiast to the max.

DSC07392 by Derelicte19, on Flickr

-Sister: Ashley, age 26. Loves Disney as well but not quite to the same obsessive level as I.

DSC06321 by Derelicte19, on Flickr

-Mama: Terryn, age 29... Again! I thank her for bringing me to WDW at the tender age of 11 months and getting me hooked. I also thank her for buying our timeshare in Kissimmee so we can enjoy a vacation with Mickey and friends every year J

DSC06942 by Derelicte19, on Flickr

We’re all Disney fanatics!! J

Here’s me and my sister (and friend) in 2006

8131_189995891071_674341071_4381286_4635389_n by Derelicte19, on Flickr

And here we are in 2007

n674341071_2766527_4062959 by Derelicte19, on Flickr

And at Busch Gardens in 2009 (Yes, sometimes we cheat on Disney… sorry!)

n674341071_2824009_4791285 by Derelicte19, on Flickr

Me and Mama on our 2010 trip

155212_10150099410841072_674341071_7868956_7013788_n by Derelicte19, on Flickr

And May of 2011

DSC07059 by Derelicte19, on Flickr

We visited Disney World together this past May and had a great time. We had originally scheduled our next WDW vacation to be fall of next year, for a week, in our timeshare at Vistana. Well, plans changed. None of us wanted to wait a year and a half so a couple schedule changes, a few number crunches and some reservations had us flying into Orlando on Thursday night November 10 and returning home Tuesday night November 15. Yup, a full year ahead of time. Since we wouldn’t be using the timeshare, we decided to stay on Disney property. Much easier doing that than renting a car and staying off-site (though in the long run, that might have ben cheaper!) We’d stayed at the All Stars a couple times but this time we decided we wanted to go big… deluxe resort big. So we booked a courtyard view room at the Wilderness Lodge for 4 nights and 1 night at the All Star Movies (since our flight wasn’t scheduled to arrive into Orlando til midnight, we couldn’t fathom the idea of spending the $300+ nightly rate when we were arriving so late.)

This trip was a trip of many firsts for us: Our first deluxe resort. Our first Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party. We added 3 new restaurants to our itinerary and also it would be my sisters first time visiting WDW during the holiday season (my mother and I both visited Thanksgiving week back in 2001 and again last November) Also, our first time experiencing the Magical Express and our first time NOT having a rental car and relying completely on Disney transportation.

Now, onto the good stuff…. Enjoy!!

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Very cool trip and pics so far Darolyn!
Congrats on the annual pass too! Can't wait to buy my first. Will probably do the same and take a pic. I did that of a $1500 scratch off I won and made a photo copy.

picture.php

Paid for most of our trip back in '08. :D

Wow, congrats on the big win! I won $100 on a $1 ticket once lol but that's about it.

Thanks for reading!! :wave:

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Before we headed back to Fantasyland, we decided to hit up Carousel of Progress. This is hands down a can't miss for our family.
DSC07880-1.jpg

DSC07881-1.jpg

DSC07882-1.jpg

DSC07883-1.jpg

A little peak at the new Fantasyland...
DSC07885-1.jpg

DSC07886-1.jpg

We went and saw the fabulous Philharmagic. I love this show!
DSC07887-1.jpg

DSC07889-1.jpg

We then used our FP for PPF. Another classic favorite. When I was little Captain Hook at the end used to scare the bajeezus out of me!

After PPF we headed over to Frontierland. It was time for us to pick up another FP so we grabbed one for BTMR and got in line for Splash. The wait was maybe 10 minutes. We then hit up Pirates (walk on) and debated doing the Tiki Room since we didnt have a chance yet. It was about 12:30 and we needed to leave by 2 at the latest as the DME would be picking us up at 3:15... or was it 3:05? Anyways, this would mean having to skip over BTMR or Space, neither which we wanted to do. We walked back to Frontierland and cashed in our BTMR FP's.

We then walked back over Space Mountain for one last ride and then began making our way to the front of the park. It was about 1:15. We had been there roughly 4 hourd and had accomplished quite a bit. The crowds were very low (I think it was predicted at a 1.2 or something)

We stopped quickly at the Emporium so I could get some kitchen stuff. As it turns out, Mama had purchased some kitchen stuff for me back in May because she didnt think we would be back before Christmas so I had to tell her what I was buying so I didn't get something she already bought. I ended up getting the spatula, Mickey glove pot holder and the whisk. With a little less pep in our step, we made it to town square and bid a fond farewell to the Magic Kingdom. I remember standing there looking at the castle for the last time and my eyes started watering (obviously) I thought to myself this really is the BEST place on Earth.

We waited about 10 minutes for the ferry and got back to the resort around 2:15. We had time to grab a quick lunch at Roaring Fork and fill up our mugs again. I got the flatbread and it was pretty good. I also got a vanilla cupcake and a brownie for the airport. (The brownie actually made it all the way back to Maine with me and I ate it the day after we got home.) No pics though, sorry.

We headed out front around 2:50 to wait for the DME. I took a last look at the grand lobby of the Wilderness Lodge and considered myself very fortunate that we were abe to visit Disney again and also fortunate to splurge for the WL. The DME arrived and we hopped on board. The Spectro Magic theme was playing as we pulled away from the lodge and I made sure my sunglasses were on because I didnt want anyone else on board to think I was a weirdo for crying haha

"If this concludes your visit to the Walt Disney World Resort, we hope you had a wonderful time and will return home safely."

And that my friends, concludes this trip report. Stay tuned for my reviews and comments!

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Reviews and Comments

First off, the DME: This was the first time we utilized the DME and it won't be the last. SO much more convenient than renting a car. We arrived too late for them to get our bags and then bring our bags to the resort for us, but we only had carry ons anyway so that wasn't a big deal. Picking up the rental car can be a huge hassle and we really liked this. We had a great driver both to and from the airport. A+ for the DME!

All Star Movies: Granted we only stayed here one night, it was a pleasant experience. The rooms were clean and a good size. The food court wasn't that busy when we got there and the place where we left our bags was well organized. YAY All Star Movies!!

Wilderness Lodge: Where to begin here... We LOVED this resort. From the theming to the location and everything in between. The lobby is gorgeous and we love how everything is centrally located in one building. Yes our room was a bit further down the hall but it was still closer to the dining and bus stops than if we had been at one of the further out buildings at the All Star Resorts. The only issue I had was the roms do seem a little dark but I think it's because of the colors they use. The balcony was great and I was a little worried it would be loud since we were overlooking the pool but it wasn't. Roaring Fork is a little small but their delicious waffles make up for it and it was never really that crowded when we were in there. We would definitely stay here again in a heartbeat. In fact, we are for 2 nights in May.

Transportation to the parks: I always hear horror stories about the busses to and from the parks and how people had to wait an hour to just get on one. Luckily, we never experienced that. The busses were always there within 5 minutes of us showing up at the bus stop and in most cases, were there when we arrived. Yes, we did have to go to Fort Wilderness as well going to the parks, but on the return trip, we went to WL first. When we left the parks, the WL had the shortest lines of all. The values and moderate lines were SUPER long but not WL's line. We also loved having the option of taking the boat to the MK. I was a relaxing change and the longest we waited for a boat was 10 minutes on the last afternoon back to WL.

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party: This was a really good time for us. While we are glad we did it, we wish we had gone on a different night. It was just way too crowded. It seems like for a hard ticketed event, there were way too many people there. The lines for the free cookies and cocoa were rediculous. I'm sure it's better when there aren't as many people there but I feel like for $65 they should limit the amount of people a bit more (Wishful thinking considering they want to make as much moo-lah as they can...) We loved Holiday Wishes and Once Upon A Christmastime was great.

The parks themselves: We experienced huge crowds and low crowds throughout this trip and let's just say they did a HORRIBLE job of handling the crowds that Saturday after Wishes. People were pushing and shoving. Common sense would say stay to the right but people were all over the place. They did do a good job of crowd control at Epcot during the F&W Festival. We never saw any ridiculously drunk people either. The parks were clean and looking good. I don't know if I just don't notice the hundreds of lightbulbs burnt out or the painting that needs to be touched up on buildings but I didnt see any of that.

Dining: Ohana was amazing and we've already booked it for the spring... 50s Prime Time Cafe was great as well but we're changing it up per Ashley's request to try Sci Fi in the spring. Les Chefs de France was yummy but I don't think we will be in any rush to get back there though we are glad we tried it. Le Cellier was the best, of course and Crystal Palace was great as well. No complaints here as far as dining. Everything was delicious. :slurp:

Well, thanks for reading everyone! :wave: Hope you enjoyed it. I'm going to be starting my pre trip-report for April soon.... Can't believe it's that time already!! So on that note...... wait for it..... See ya real soon!! :)

chrissyw14

I'm right off the turnpike :p lol

great trip report! Disney is the best place in the world and i love how positive your trip report was, even with all the problems people say are at WDW I really don't notive them because I'm just soo excited and happy to be there!

I can't wait to go back, hopefully August, got a pin number! Grad present anyone lol

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Ahhh it's over :cry:

I'm sad too :(

Loved the report! After reading it I am now even more excited for my trip in May!

Thanks for reading!! :wave: May is a beautiful time to go!

Loved reading your trip report! Can't wait to read your next one!! Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks for reading!! :)

I'm right off the turnpike :p lol

great trip report! Disney is the best place in the world and i love how positive your trip report was, even with all the problems people say are at WDW I really don't notive them because I'm just soo excited and happy to be there!

I can't wait to go back, hopefully August, got a pin number! Grad present anyone lol

Best grad present ever if you ask me!! Well, next to a car anyway lol

fractal

Awesome report!

I agree re: Magical Express. Where else do you feel like the vacation has truly started at the airport?

I will have to check out WL on our next trip. The lobby looks so cool.

We are also going to book Ohana's for our next trip - I missed it last time.

It's great that you are going again in May! Still jealous though. :)

Nice Finish D.
I don't know why everyone has a problem with Carousel, I love it. It's still entertaining and a great break from the heat for a while during the summer months.
Way to get A LOT in before your flight.
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party: One of the MAIN reasons we go down in November/December!
I'll keep an eye out for April's pre-trip.
:D

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Awesome report!

I agree re: Magical Express. Where else do you feel like the vacation has truly started at the airport?

I will have to check out WL on our next trip. The lobby looks so cool.

We are also going to book Ohana's for our next trip - I missed it last time.

It's great that you are going again in May! Still jealous though. :)

The WL lobby is beautiful. Similar to the AKL lobby I'm sure in size.

Ohana is so yummy!! And we are trying Sanaa in May based on your stellar reviews! :)

Nice Finish D.
I don't know why everyone has a problem with Carousel, I love it. It's still entertaining and a great break from the heat for a while during the summer months.
Way to get A LOT in before your flight.
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party: One of the MAIN reasons we go down in November/December!
I'll keep an eye out for April's pre-trip.
:D

Thank you! Yes, we did get a lot in before having to leave. Love low crowds!! :)

jenseib

I'm just checking...can you see my posts. I have been reading a couple of threads and made comments and asked questions and in not one single thread has anyone answered me...so I am wondering if my posts are not showing up?

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Thank god this is over and I don't have to receive text, tweets, and fb messages telling me to read or if I read it yet.

No seriously you guys look like you had an awesome time. And think...if not for this report we would not be friends! You would have not got to watch my Penguins beat your Bruins! :eek:

I can't wait to see you guys in September. Especially Ashley. I can't wait to do or say something really weird to her when we meet. I'll be normal with mom so when Ashley complains about me everyone else will say she is a jerk! Haha!

Love always,

John

PolynesianPrincess

Original Poster
Thank god this is over and I don't have to receive text, tweets, and fb messages telling me to read or if I read it yet.

No seriously you guys look like you had an awesome time. And think...if not for this report we would not be friends! You would have not got to watch my Penguins beat your Bruins! :eek:

I can't wait to see you guys in September. Especially Ashley. I can't wait to do or say something really weird to her when we meet. I'll be normal with mom so when Ashley complains about me everyone else will say she is a jerk! Haha!

Love always,

John

For one, I never tweeted, texted or FB messaged you to read this you dork!

For two, yes, we bonded over this TR and are now lifelong friends. Awwww.... Sadly, the Penguins did win :( But thanks again for getting us the tickets. It was a super time!!

I don't think Ashley is quite sure what to make of you still. haha. Just as long as you remember to burp her after her meals.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
For one, I never tweeted, texted or FB messaged you to read this you dork!

For two, yes, we bonded over this TR and are now lifelong friends. Awwww.... Sadly, the Penguins did win :( But thanks again for getting us the tickets. It was a super time!!

I don't think Ashley is quite sure what to make of you still. haha. Just as long as you remember to burp her after her meals.

Yeah can't forget how I promised I'd burp her for you guys. I can see how that would get annoying, but I am a good sport. I'll help out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom