Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Goofyernmost

Now the real question: whether demolition on the hat will begin before the marathon (Jan 11), which uses it as a very prominent photo background for their up-charge photo packages, as seen below:
5356918633_0367018e62_b.jpg
If people are purchasing an up-charge picture to see the BAH it would be a rarity. The people buying it are the people that are in or have someone they know in the picture. No one else would have any reason to purchase one. If such is the case, they could have a garbage truck in the background and people would still buy it at inflated prices. It's a single motivation sale. It not about WDW it is about preserving/proving their moment in the Marathon. The background is not important. Besides just the theater was/is highly photograph-able and recognizable.

Rob562

Nice post. Thanks.

I am surprised as that is still the Christmas Holiday Break. I believed the date immediately after the Marathon as to not have any more upheaval for the holidays or a major event. After the Marathon it becomes pretty darn quiet 'till MLK weekend.

If I were a betting man, I'd probably say that the pin store will close right after New Year's (as mentioned by @RAXIP ) which they can easily start working on removing for a week or two while keeping the Hat in place and visible until after the Marathon. After that the Marathon they can go crazy and put up a bunch of walls to start work on the Hat itself.

In the photo posted above, even if there were walls around the pin store you wouldn't be able to see them, unless they were also around the golden swirls.

-Rob

dstrawn9889

If I were a betting man, I'd probably say that the pin store will close right after New Year's (as mentioned by @RAXIP ) which they can easily start working on removing for a week or two while keeping the Hat in place and visible until after the Marathon. After that the Marathon they can go crazy and put up a bunch of walls to start work on the Hat itself.

In the photo posted above, even if there were walls around the pin store you wouldn't be able to see them, unless they were also around the golden swirls.

-Rob
the store can/will be gone in a single overnight. no sense in drawing that out, a couple of moving racks, two cabinet cashier centers... 4 hours tops(once electrical has cut the power and telco has the data/phone lines disconned). roll it all backstage to warehouse and dismantle and redistribute merch as necessary.

Brad Bishop

One problem that they sort of have is that making the Earful Tower the icon again is going to confuse some folks.

The trees along World Drive have grown up enough to where it's not as prominent. I supposed you could cut them down or back but I'd guess most people don't even notice the tower any longer. Inside the park, without the Backstage Tour running, you really don't get a good view of it.

Maybe they'll move it.

I could almost see them moving it into the location where the hat sits now and opening a new pin station under it. :)

dstrawn9889

One problem that they sort of have is that making the Earful Tower the icon again is going to confuse some folks.

The trees along World Drive have grown up enough to where it's not as prominent. I supposed you could cut them down or back but I'd guess most people don't even notice the tower any longer. Inside the park, without the Backstage Tour running, you really don't get a good view of it.

Maybe they'll move it.

I could almost see them moving it into the location where the hat sits now and opening a new pin station under it. :)
would think they would move it to e seen over the Lt wing of the Chinese theatre

Bolt

Maybe they'll move it.

The problem with the Earful Tower is that people probably want to be able to see the PARK ICON in person, not from World Drive.

Goofyernmost

The problem with the Earful Tower is that people probably want to be able to see the PARK ICON in person, not from World Drive.
Well that is a little different then most of the Disney Icons anyway. It was always visible close up when you went on the backlot tour. And lets face it, if you have seen one water tower, you've seen them all. Just add ears (cute addition by the way) and there you have it. I would guess that it's possible that the area will be opened up after the alterations to the Backlot area are complete. It isn't visible from some areas in the park, but that is true for the castle at MK and the Tree of Life at DAK. Just about the only one that is visible from anyplace in the park would be Space Ship Earth in Epcot.

And really, if there was one thing about the BAH that turned me off to it, besides it's location, was that it was a store. I guess that would make it an Icon for all of Disney. Just another place to leave your children's inheritance with strangers.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The hat has been the icon of DHS longer than Grauman's by I think a year or so. People who visited post-2001 are bound to attach some feelings towards it.
And that's the problem. Like the wand it was supposed to be temporary, not last 14 years.

Thinking about it, the wands been gone for 7 years. The same age as it was. How time flies!

Last edited:

vinnya1726

I will admit that I will miss that hat a little, but totally get that it does not fit the theme. It is shame that they are going to just dismantle it and not put it somewhere, it really is very well done. I think those of you that have been dying for that great view of the theater, I think you are going to need to enjoy that while it lasts. Disney has big plans it seems for HS and I would imagine that they have big plans for some new Icon. The water tower is nice, but it is not nearly as magnificent as the Castle, Spaceship Earth or the Tree of life. I could be wrong, but I would think that in five years when all is said in done, something Starwars or Pixar will be the new Icon. Anyway, it will be bitter sweet to see that hat go, it needs to go no doubt, but some of us will still miss it.

ToTBellHop

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. The hat has been the icon of DHS longer than Grauman's by I think a year or so. People who visited post-2001 are bound to attach some feelings towards it.
Indeed. And if we are honest, there is nothing particularly spectacular about the Chinese Theatre. It's a replica of a real building the houses a ride we love to hate. I happen to have never found the hat to be impressive enough to be a park icon. If you compare it to the level of detail in the other three icons, it is a joke. Had they built something nicer and just demoed the Chinese Theatre, we might feel differently. The water tower isn't really adequate either since you cant really see it without the BLT. Move it behind the Chinese Theatre and we'd have a relatively easy winner. I think there is a big enough area behind the Theatre (just north of that new Joffreys by Midway Mania) that would have the appropriate perspective. Cheaper than moving the hat...

Goofyernmost

I will admit that I will miss that hat a little, but totally get that it does not fit the theme. It is shame that they are going to just dismantle it and not put it somewhere, it really is very well done. I think those of you that have been dying for that great view of the theater, I think you are going to need to enjoy that while it lasts. Disney has big plans it seems for HS and I would imagine that they have big plans for some new Icon. The water tower is nice, but it is not nearly as magnificent as the Castle, Spaceship Earth or the Tree of life. I could be wrong, but I would think that in five years when all is said in done, something Starwars or Pixar will be the new Icon. Anyway, it will be bitter sweet to see that hat go, it needs to go no doubt, but some of us will still miss it.
An Icon can be placed in the front by the entrance so as not to obstruct the view down Hollywood Blvd. However, since I don't know what they are planning to do with the park completely, I, like everyone else really has to wait and see what they do, or what they announce they are going to do. Since they just entered on an agreement with TMC for the Great Movie Ride is not going anyplace for a while. It also makes me think that it will stay an entertainment theme which makes the Earful Tower still relevant. In order to use Pixar or Starwars they would have to be specifically leaning one way of the other. They will need to keep it germane but not specific. The park appears to be heading in a direction that is going to include Pixar, Star Wars, Disney, and just about every other movie, TV, radio and animation studio now or previously in existence. I think the tower is appropriate for the coming theme(s). It worked for years before the hat was ever in place and with the proper promotion it can work again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom