Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Communicore

OMD is great, but it needs to be more robust and more enhanced. I still think the best part of it is the inclusion of Kitchen Kabaret toys.

Kman101

They could probably move OMD into the Animation building. It's nothing but a meet and greet space now, really. They could then use OMD's building for something else.

midwest_mice

I could see them building some kind of stage in front of the GMR. Nothing as big as the MK one in front of the castle, but something that can be used instead of putting up the larger one used for many years.

ToTBellHop

I could see them building some kind of stage in front of the GMR. Nothing as big as the MK one in front of the castle, but something that can be used instead of putting up the larger one used for many years.
Indeed. It'd be an easy way to increase capacity while half of the park is under construction.

roj2323

My theory is the hat is being removed so they can install a more permeant stage with lighting towers that come out of the ground during shows and collapse after. (like fantasmic) This would open the area up quite a bit while allowing for the extravagant stage shows they like to put on without impeding the view of the theater when events are not taking place. Realistically even if all they did was build in mounting locations for the stage into the ground it would save them tons of time and allow for quicker setup and teardowns.

RAXIP

My theory is the hat is being removed so they can install a more permeant stage with lighting towers that come out of the ground during shows and collapse after. (like fantasmic) This would open the area up quite a bit while allowing for the extravagant stage shows they like to put on without impeding the view of the theater when events are not taking place. Realistically even if all they did was build in mounting locations for the stage into the ground it would save them tons of time and allow for quicker setup and teardowns.
I'll just quote myself from another thread:
I don't what their current plans are, but at one point (2010, I think) the plan was to do just this. Replace the Hat with a stage with retractable audio and lighting.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wouldn't even take that. Look at the MKs above ground telescopic towers in the hub. Hidden in themed booths that house the needed lighting and audio controls, as opposed to the current temporary tents in DHS.

cjk0318

It's backkkkk!
IMG_20141217_204313.JPG

Brad Bishop

That stage is out far too often.

If you think about it, it's all fairly ridiculous:
- The original icon at the end of the street is blocked by a ill-placed giant hat. The hat isn't just placed at the end of the street but it's place really close to the Chinese theater which makes even looking at the front of the theater hard to do.
- In front of the hat, more often than not, is this semi-permanent stage which blocks the view of the hat, doesn't fit in with the theming, and isn't even as nice to look at as the hat (which really shouldn't be there in the first place).

It'd be one thing if the stage were out for something like New Years. It'd make complete sense. It seems as though it's almost always out and in the way.

I'm kind of surprised I don't read, "NOOOO!!! They can't remove the semi-permanent stage! It's been there every time my family has been to DHS. My kids think of the semi-permanent stage as the icon! It makes our trip to see the semi-permanent stage!"

YodaMan

Sorry if this was already posted, but they're taking a cast member photo in front of the hat on the 16th of Dec before the hat is demolished. Have no idea if that indicates the demo date is relatively soon or if they want the photo before people leave for the holidays, but just a heads up.

Well seems it had more to do with the stage going up the very next day. Don't know if that means the hat will go shortly after the stage is taken down, but just a thought.

FerretAfros

In the past, runDisney has put the park icons corresponding to each race' course (all 4 for Marathon, Castle & SSE for Half, etc) on the sleeve for the event shirts, like so:
image.jpg

[EDIT - note, these logos were noticeably absent from the 2014 Wine & Dine shirts, which were released in November, which was in the middle of the will it/won't it drama]

They have yet to release the designs for the official (aka "free" with event entry) shirts for Marathon Weekend, but they just posted a bunch of photos of the for-sale merchandise. In this not-so-subtle design for one of the marathon shirts, we get to see the new design showcasing all 4 parks' icons:
10868006_1075623095796985_780435131944381663_n.jpg

Anybody else see what I see?

Now the real question: whether demolition on the hat will begin before the marathon (Jan 11), which uses it as a very prominent photo background for their up-charge photo packages, as seen below:
5356918633_0367018e62_b.jpg

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
In the past, runDisney has put the park icons corresponding to each race' course (all 4 for Marathon, Castle & SSE for Half, etc) on the sleeve for the event shirts, like so:
image.jpg

[EDIT - note, these logos were noticeably absent from the 2014 Wine & Dine shirts, which were released in November, which was in the middle of the will it/won't it drama]

They have yet to release the designs for the official (aka "free" with event entry) shirts for Marathon Weekend, but they just posted a bunch of photos of the for-sale merchandise. In this not-so-subtle design for one of the marathon shirts, we get to see the new design showcasing all 4 parks' icons:
View attachment 76880
Anybody else see what I see?

Now the real question: whether demolition on the hat will begin before the marathon (Jan 11), which uses it as a very prominent photo background for their up-charge photo packages, as seen below:
5356918633_0367018e62_b.jpg

Nice post. Thanks.

The Icon Stage will be stuck Jan 3-4 after park close.

The Disney World website does not list any operating hours for the Sorcerer Hat Shop beyond Jan 3rd.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/shops/hollywood-studios/sorcerer-hat-shop/

I am surprised as that is still the Christmas Holiday Break. I believed the date immediately after the Marathon as to not have any more upheaval for the holidays or a major event. After the Marathon it becomes pretty darn quiet 'till MLK weekend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom