Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Of course not. That would be wasteful. I would hope that Disney is smart enough to repurpose parts of those attractions, auction off some of the other parts to the highest bidder(s) and recycle the remainder in accordance with appropriate environmental policies. I'm sure there is a lot of valuable scrap metal, plastics, wood and glass that TWDC has been able to make a few dollars from while simultaneously helping to save the environment.

And wouldn't it be super cool if some of the recycled material from those old worn out attractions was used in the construction of more popular attractions such as Soarin', TSMM and the new Frozen attraction in the WS? Perhaps new attractions at WDW could come with a label that reads: "Sixty percent of this attraction was built using recycled material from the old Horizons building, infrastructure and sets." That would really be in the true spirit of Horizons. There's a heck of a lot of aluminum in the BAH!

Ok, I am clear now, you are saying that the rightful place for those attractions in in the landfill.

Seabasealpha1

You know there is a small part of me that will miss the hat for just what it is. A really cool structure. Like, I HATE where it was put and I HATE that it was nothing more than a pin-trading station...but for what it is worth, it was pretty and really cool at night with the twinkling lights on it.

Now, before anyone freaks out and finds me a hypocrite...lets remember how hyper-critical I tend to get lol...I'm just saying...in a state of mind where there is nothingness all around lets say a blank white state of nothing, with just the hat... the hat is really cool. I will have a little tiny bit (tiny now folks!) of sorrow for the hat itself. The actual hat and nothing but the hat. Not its location. Not what it symbolizes in terms of "Disney Magic" and not what it symbolizes in blatant disregard for park design and keeping tradition...

Just the hat. Singular. The "Hat" proper...I didn't miss the wand...I won't really miss the hat in a longing sense... I will however miss the hat for it's subtle coolness and sort-of beauty...

But not the darn place they put it! ARR!

There. Had to get that out. Sorry kids! I look forward to seeing that theatre on the end of the drag when I return to FL in '17!

Phil12

Like the 20k subs?
That's a great example!

Of the dozen 20k subs, two were taken down to Castaway Cay and used for props. The others went to the boneyard and Disney sold 20k portholes on ebay for awhile. Scrap dealers got to strip the sub hulls before they were destroyed and taken to the landfill. Since many Disney fans are very OCD I think they missed the boat by not cutting up the 20k subs with a torch and selling little chunks of the metal as collectable pins or key chains. Here's a wonderful site with the history: http://www.20kride.com/photos_after.html

Phil12

Ok, I am clear now, you are saying that the rightful place for those attractions in in the landfill.
As I said, that would be wasteful. I truly think that Disney fans are obsessive enough that they would buy limited edition attraction pieces. Can you imagine the price that a piece of an original Figment would sell for on ebay? Assuming that they still had any of the original Figments from the ride, they could cut them up in pieces suitable for table display and sell them with a letter of authentication from Tony Baxter. Some Disney fans would bid into the stratosphere for an object with that history. It makes the fans happy and a few dollars for TWDC. Of course the same thing goes for any extinct Disney attraction.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The 20k subs weren't totelly stripped before being buried...

image.jpg
image.jpg

Phil12

The 20k subs weren't totelly stripped before being buried...

View attachment 74954 View attachment 74955
I think Disney was limited in how much of the sub hulls they could extract for memorabilia sales. According to the site I previously linked to, the hulls had several coats of lead paint on them. Environmental regulations would limit the sale of such items. You know how Disney fans like to kiss and lick their memorabilia.

Communicore

You mean from Sorcery In The Sky? I wouldn't mind if that returns! Although, I don't know if DHS should give up F!. I wasn't there but on here I didn't see any traffic nightmares between F! and Frozen this summer. Same with SWW now that I think about it. I would love Sorcery when SWW, Frozen, July 4th and NYE isn't going on. I'm hoping Frozen comes back for a while That was a good show!

If DHS loses F!, F! should move and not go into yesterland. Where too?, I have no idea.

Is DHS really thinking about a "Daily" show or just Seasonal Daily shows?
Yes!!! Bring back the huge Mickey!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom