Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

meyeet

Almost 2500 replies and I've just realized that I need to check myself into the loony bin because I don't see a "clock" never mind one that may be ticking on the BAH at all. Believe me, I've looked and looked for it the last 4 years. Most of the time when I'm in DHS I'm just walking in aimless circles around the BAH (which seems to be about as fun as doing the other activities offered), eyes glazed over, muttering about timepieces. As a result, I have been awarded several free pins and a "Hat's biggest fan" t-shirt over the years by kindly CMs. It is nice, but I'd still love to see the bleeping clock. I've decided it must be like those pictures where you have to get all cross-eyed. Those never work for me either.
Might as well lock this thread, there won't be a better post than this!

pmaljr

Ditto. Did you folks see the line at the Universe of Energy in this vid? LOL, if they got even a quarter of a line that large nowadays it would take a miracle or free timeshares. I would bet half the folks on here have never seen a line like that at Epcot in person, other than at Soarin. We had to skip rides (rides we'd been to before) because of the waits in the 90s. Disney has a lot to do with these parks to get them running good again. I hope they wake up. I doubt it because I just simply think they are stuck in a rut, like the line in COP, that things can't get any better than they are today.

Goofyernmost

That's subjective. I found the contrary in my 3 visits during it's hey day (aside from the often discussed people eating omnimovers)
It's the "often discussed people eating omnimovers" that I am talking about. When EPCOT was in it's first decade there were always lines at those people eaters. Over the years the lines got shorter and shorter until they were mostly a walk-on. I know that one cannot define the popularity based on the line length, but, when it goes for waiting to walking that is an indication of dying popularity. And yes, it is subjective, but, it just seems that Disney is not overly inclined to change things that are drawing a lot of people. Even they aren't that stupid. They might have been premature in the timing, but, at the time there was a reason why they spent money to change things, in my opinion.

Cesar R M

The commenters on the petition are all from Mexico and South America...
Maybe they don't have any understanding of Old Hollywood...
but 50 signatures....and clearly they can move the hat to another spot in the park and make most of them happy...
just glad they have finally announced they are removing it!!
I'm Mexican and I'm now curious.. anyone want to share the link again?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They might have been premature in the timing, but, at the time there was a reason why they spent money to change things, in my opinion.
Because the sponsors pulled out?

Because the sponsor wanted a different, hip direction?

And because the sponsor wanted a more reliable ride system but didn't want to pay what was needed?

If we're talking about the Omnimovers.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Ahh, breach of etiquette. I'm starting a fact-finding committee to determine why you skipped the petition when protocol clearly states that a petition is required in this situation. Would someone please write a petition to nominate @hakunamatata as chair of the fact-finding committee?

I refuse to consider the petition unless it has been signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters. :)

Phil12

It's the "often discussed people eating omnimovers" that I am talking about. When EPCOT was in it's first decade there were always lines at those people eaters. Over the years the lines got shorter and shorter until they were mostly a walk-on. I know that one cannot define the popularity based on the line length, but, when it goes for waiting to walking that is an indication of dying popularity. And yes, it is subjective, but, it just seems that Disney is not overly inclined to change things that are drawing a lot of people. Even they aren't that stupid. They might have been premature in the timing, but, at the time there was a reason why they spent money to change things, in my opinion.
I concur. Horizons, World of Motion and Journey Into Imagination all suffered the same fate. WoM opened in 1982 while Horizons and JII opened in 1983. All the pavilions were very popular when they first opened and they always had big lines. The first signs of trouble occurred with JII. In 1986 they replaced Magic Journeys with Captain EO and that turned the pavilion upside down. Captain EO was hugely popular and JII took a backseat to the new Michael Jackson attraction. I distinctly remember the poor CM's at JII begging people to come watch the show. Captain EO upstaged JII.

Then in 1994, Captain EO was replaced by Honey I Shrunk the Audience and JII was all but forgotten. HISTA was pretty much the final blow for JII but that's because HISTA was a great show!
Both Horizons and WoM had also lost their audiences as well almost exactly one decade after opening. GE pulled its sponsorship of Horizons in 1993. GM threatened to pull their sponsorship of WoM but Disney scrambled to entice them to stay. In the meantime, WoM limped along until it closed in early 1996. WoM looked like a ghetto Omni-mover during those last 4 or 5 years before its closure. The carpet was stained, ripped and the cars were beat up. Horizons had similar upkeep problems.

If I had to rank them I'd say WoM was the best with Horizons being a distant second. Like the visiting public I never cared much at all for JII in any of its incarnations.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Riiiggghhhttt..

So when I queued in the exterior switchback and then the interior queue in 1990 that was because no one cared for it?​
That is correct. Those people where there to hate it. Just like how you had to wait in lines to get to each station in Imageworks, because people wanted to use all of the things ironically. Or how the water garden section seemed to be always filled with people. It's because they hated JII and were protesting it. Figment became a park icon because they wanted to push him in the the Villians lineup.

FigmentForver96

That is correct. Those people where there to hate it. Just like how you had to wait in lines to get to each station in Imageworks, because people wanted to use all of the things ironically. Or how the water garden section seemed to be always filled with people. It's because they hated JII and were protesting it. Figment became a park icon because they wanted to push him in the the Villians lineup.

Do I sense sarcasm?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom