Is online check-in worth it?

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
I have never done it before and while I have attempted to read up on it, I can't quite figure out what specific benefits it gives you. All I could find is that it allows you to go to the online check-in desk and you will receive a folder and your magic band. But I thought my magic band was going to be mailed to me in advance of my trip? I'm lost here! Please help! is it really worth doing and, if so, why?

Thanks so much for your insight!

Jess G

If you do online check in and will have your magic bands mailed before arrival you will receive a text with your room number and you are able to go straight to your room instead of stopping at the desk. This may be worth it if you plan on going to the parks on your arrival day. I always use online check in and never had any issues.

JasonDeyoung

I always do online check in and get the text when my rooms ready. Standing in a line waiting to check in can be a lengthy process or could be quick. I just don't feel the need to do when I'm very familiar with the resorts etc. plus I like to drop my bags and head straight to the parks :)

pluto77

I think it's definitely worth it. We didn't do it for our first stay at AOA and our room wasn't ready yet when we got there (even though it was after 3). I did online check in when we switched over to Port Orleans and the room was ready early that morning. I'm not sure if that was just a coincidence, but it does ask what time you think you'll arrive when you do online check in so I think it helps. I guess the only downside is that you may not get offered a free upgrade (which I've never been offered one anyway).

micknminnie

I think so. I did on line check and the morning of I received a text with our room number that our room was ready. When we got there we went right to our room with our magic bands and were able to get in. We totally bypassed the front desk which was nice.

DisneyFans4Life

It's worth doing if you've reserved a specific room. What I mean by this is moderates and deluxes allow you to book a king room whereas a value doesn't. To get a king room in a value, it has to be a special request and it's based on availability. The last time we went and stayed at AoA I did online check in and the room we got assigned was a standard room with two doubles. I ended up having to go back to the desk anyways to get that changed.

Seanual757

Yes we have been doing it for a year now we always check in early by 10am and around 9-930 we always have a confirmation that our room is ready. I expect to have my confirmation text w/in the next 90 minutes for our room at AKL today.

Jess G

Yes we have been doing it for a year now we always check in early by 10am and around 9-930 we always have a confirmation that our room is ready. I expect to have my confirmation text w/in the next 90 minutes for our room at AKL today.
That's awesome! Have fun!!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Note that if you opt for "direct to room" you will not receive the packet given at check-in which includes a parking pass, Times Guide for the parks and resort-specific information, like the recreation calendar. If you don't need or want these items, "direct to room" is the way to go.

If you choose online check in, you will stop at the special online desk (the line is usually shorter than regular check in) and will be given the informational packet.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Online check in might, the keyword being "might", save you a few minutes at check in and might get you into your room before 3:00 PM.

Past that, it does nothing.

cornandacobb

What about concierge level? We at staying YC concierge next month. We put in requests for room locations. Is it better to check-in face to face?
Might there be a little extra pixie dust sprinkled on our arrival with a concierge stay anyway? I believe there is a separate check-in area at the very least.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
What about concierge level? We at staying YC concierge next month. We put in requests for room locations. Is it better to check-in face to face?
Might there be a little extra pixie dust sprinkled on our arrival with a concierge stay anyway? I believe there is a separate check-in area at the very least.
It does not matter. Your room location, upgrades, etc. are often decided before you even get on the plane.

cdeev8690

It's worth doing if you've reserved a specific room. What I mean by this is moderates and deluxes allow you to book a king room whereas a value doesn't. To get a king room in a value, it has to be a special request and it's based on availability. The last time we went and stayed at AoA I did online check in and the room we got assigned was a standard room with two doubles. I ended up having to go back to the desk anyways to get that changed.

This. If you're staying in a standard room at a value that has the option of two doubles or a king and you request a king, on-line check-in likely won't work for you as the chances are great that you won't get the requested King. If you want the upgrades or your room preference, you have a better option of getting that if you check in the old fashioned way. If this is not a concern, then online check-in is the way to go. Being able to just drop your things in your room and head to the park within a few minutes of your arrival is so so awesome.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
In our experience, online check in does nothing for concierge stays. We still had to check in at the club to get our room assignment. But it is nice having that personal interaction. You may get some pixie dust, but remember there are numerous guests also staying concierge during your vacation celebrating various things. Expect no extras and you'll be surprised if you receive something!

Weather_Lady

I think it really does depend on your circumstances.

In general, I'm a fan of online check-in, because it can save time... except when it doesn't (such as, when you are assigned an unsuitable room and have to return to the front desk anyway, or when you try to check in early at the front desk and the line for online check-in is moving more slowly than the non-online-checkin lines). Or if, like us, you are staying at CBR and arriving via Magical Express, meaning online check-in won't help you bypass a stop at Custom House (the check-in location) or get you to your room any faster, because that's where the Magical Express bus is going to drop you off anyway...

cornandacobb

In our experience, online check in does nothing for concierge stays. We still had to check in at the club to get our room assignment. But it is nice having that personal interaction. You may get some pixie dust, but remember there are numerous guests also staying concierge during your vacation celebrating various things. Expect no extras and you'll be surprised if you receive something!

Oh, no!
It is my daughter's Sweet 16 birthday which they are aware of. I was hoping for balloons, a platter of warm cookies, a few signature cocktails for the adults and a small parade in the lobby.

Oh, well.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
What do you mean "drop my bags"? Is there a place to leave luggage without going to a desk? We are driving down, arriving before noon, and were planning to eat at DS and do some shopping before the room was ready. With online check-in, do we have the option of leaving the bag somewhere at the resort? Also, with online check-in, are the meal plans active immediately?
You can always leave your bags with Bell Services without ever visiting the front desk.

slappy magoo

Psssst! Guys! Party at Seanual757's house! No one will ever know!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom