Is my math correct?

captainkidd

Original Poster
I was looking at a WLV resale for 350 points. Where dues are now $5.34 per point for that property, does that mean every year we're looking at $1,869 in dues alone (not including increases)?

captainkidd

Original Poster
Correct. That's a ton of points so the dues will be up there.

Sadly, for us, it's not a ton of points. We have to go in July, at least for the next 6 or 7 years. For 10 nights in a 1 bedroom, we'd need 357 points. We could stay 13 nights at a Moderate every year at rack rate just for the cost of yearly dues. Granted, not apples to apples.

I look at DVC at least once a year, and even on the resale market, it still doesn't make sense for us.

Old dvc member

Dues can go the other wayor get higher if comparing dvc resorts to value you can save money if you compare to moderate you will see a savings.The difference in the rooms are well worth the expense over time

Pioneer Hall

Sadly, for us, it's not a ton of points. We have to go in July, at least for the next 6 or 7 years. For 10 nights in a 1 bedroom, we'd need 357 points. We could stay 13 nights at a Moderate every year at rack rate just for the cost of yearly dues. Granted, not apples to apples.

I look at DVC at least once a year, and even on the resale market, it still doesn't make sense for us.

That's the problem, you're not comparing apples to apples. As you know, a 1 BR villa offers much more than a moderate room does and is at a deluxe resort. It's hard to really compare pricing to a moderate resort when the two are so different.

jim1051

how about every other year or a shorter stay every year?

We've found if we go every year we don't need to stay so long. If we skip a year or 2 we stay longer when we return.

captainkidd

Original Poster
how about every other year or a shorter stay every year?

We've found if we go every year we don't need to stay so long. If we skip a year or 2 we stay longer when we return.

We could do that, but then it's not vacationing the way we like to. Not to mention, we'd be forking over $2,000 on years that we didn't go for nothing.

DisneyJoe

We could do that, but then it's not vacationing the way we like to. Not to mention, we'd be forking over $2,000 on years that we didn't go for nothing.

Their point was you could get away with less points, and therefore less dues, but bank points between years to go less often.

I understand it doesn't fit your style.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Have you looked into Saratoga resale points? They are the cheapest through Disney right now and would surely be cheaper in resale than other resorts. That would keep more pennies in your pocket on the initial purchase.

I guess you are looking at WL point cost per night for your stay? Look into AKL for one year since it is cheaper on points and roll the left over to the following year.

Guppy_121

Hi, not to push you one way or the other. it's a big decision.
but if you want to compare it properly, you should be comparing 1 room at a moderate ( and even then it should be a deluxe ), to 1 studio. A studio is about the same size as a regular moderate room. 1 bedroom is almost like 2 rooms at a moderate ( space wise ).

hope you find what you are looking for. :)

DisneyJoe

A studio is about the same size as a regular moderate room. 1 bedroom is almost like 2 rooms at a moderate ( space wise ).

Most moderate rooms are 315 sq ft. Many sites report CBR at 340 sq ft.

Villas at Wilderness Lodge
- A Studio is 356 sq ft
- A 1-bedroom is 727 sq ft

captainkidd

Original Poster
Maybe that's the issue for us. None of that stuff is important. The kitchen, the huge space. I mean, we like staying at the Polynesian and the large rooms are nice, but given that we'd be just as content in a standard room at the WL (344 sq ft), I think we'd make do in Moderate. Of course, only Riverside would work right now, as there are 5 of us. However, that is only for the next 7 years, then our oldest will be off to college or working and not wanting to vacation with us anyway.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Maybe that's the issue for us. None of that stuff is important. The kitchen, the huge space. I mean, we like staying at the Polynesian and the large rooms are nice, but given that we'd be just as content in a standard room at the WL (344 sq ft), I think we'd make do in Moderate. Of course, only Riverside would work right now, as there are 5 of us. However, that is only for the next 7 years, then our oldest will be off to college or working and not wanting to vacation with us anyway.

Watch how you say that. Once he hits college and sees the college lifestyle of Ramen noodles than odds are he weill be foaming at the mouth for a good famly vacation.

disneyeater

Because there are 5 of you, DVC is not financially advantageous because you would have to move up to a 1 BR to fit your family.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom