Is May a Cold Time?

LadyBlue

I’m from Boston and use to Boston weather. I’ve only visited Disney World in Aug and September. I’ve been reading articles about Disney in May. They are saying it can still be pretty cool, averaging in the ’60s. Is this true? I’m not sure how to pack. Shorts and pants? Or just shorts?
We are thinking of going through May 10th to the 13th.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
1-7-2020 9-40-23 AM.jpg

Upvote 0

Disneyhead'71

I’m from Boston and use to Boston weather. I’ve only visited Disney World in Aug and September. I’ve been reading articles about Disney in May. They are saying it can still be pretty cool, averaging in the ’60s. Is this true? I’m not sure how to pack. Shorts and pants? Or just shorts?
If you are from Boston, you will not find Orlando in May "cool. Maybe bring one pair of long pants just in case.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

We've visited once or twice in early May -- most recently in 2018 -- and it was very warm, with daily highs in the mid-80s to 90, and overnight lows that didn't dip below the low 70s.

Perhaps the weather we experienced wasn't typical, but yours might not be either. There's really no way to plan this far ahead -- you'll just have to wait until a week or two before, when the weather forecasts are more likely to be accurate, and plan for the forecast (with some extra pieces to account for unexpectedly hot or cold weather).

Also, since you're from Boston, you'll want to take references to "cold" weather with a grain of salt. We're from upstate New York (Finger Lakes region), and at WDW, we find that we're most comfortable in clothing that's one step cooler (less bundled up) than the locals are wearing. (e.g., if they're wearing jeans, we're okay in shorts).

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

You'll have a better idea of weather the week before your trip, but generally speaking shorts/t shirt/sweatshirt will be comfortable for in the parks during the day and a couple of pairs of pants for in the evening, especially if you are doing sit down meals as sometimes the restaurants are cold.

Upvote 0

MoragL

I have been twice in May. Once in 2015 and again in 2017 and I swore I would never go back at that time again if I could help it because is was soooooo HOT. I did not wear pants or a sweater even once on either trip. Obviously there is a chance you could get cooler weather but generally I would say it will be warm

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Of course it CAN be cool but it would be an unusual occurrence.
Look at the weather the week you are leaving. And don't be surprised if you see rain in the forecast.
Average high is 88. Average low is 66.
I've been in the Boston area for a summer camp and it barely got that warm in July so I'm guessing its gonna be warmer in May than what you're used to all summer.
Its also humid which makes it feel hotter.
So pack shorts.
Leave the spirit jerseys for 8 months of the year at home.

Upvote 0

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I went the first week of May in 2018 and the weather was amazing. Upper 80s every day and sun. It was perfect weather. I'm sure there have been major cold fronts but in May that would be atypical.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
May is also lovebug season. The bugs outnumber the guests 100:1. They don't bite but are so numerous and flying/landing everywhere, doing their... thing.

I've always wanted to go for my birthday but its in May and the thought of lovebugs creeps me out.
My goal is to have gone at least once during each month so its gonna happen sometime.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom