Is jiko worth 2 credits?

Weather_Lady

Average meal cost at Jiko is $55. The "value" of a TS credit is $37, so any 1-credit meal that costs less than $37, and any 2-credit meal that costs less than $74, is going to amount to wasted DDP value. In fact, California Grill's "Brunch at the Top" ($80/pp) is the only 2-credit meal on property where you can expect to save with the DDP.

This is my source for those numbers. http://*************.com/maximizing-disney-dining-plan-credits/ (EDIT: Ugh! The dreaded bleep out. The edited text is WDW Prep School, all one word.)

As others said, Jiko is one of the highest-rated restaurants on property and well worth a visit, but if your goal is to make the most of your DDP credits, Jiko is not a good choice.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Average meal cost at Jiko is $55. The "value" of a TS credit is $37, so any 1-credit meal that costs less than $37, and any 2-credit meal that costs less than $74, is going to amount to wasted DDP value.

This is my source for those numbers. http://*************.com/maximizing-disney-dining-plan-credits/ (EDIT: Ugh! The dreaded bleep out. The edited text is WDW Prep School dot com, all one word.)

As others said, Jiko is one of the highest-rated restaurants on property and well worth a visit, but if your goal is to make the most of your DDP credits, Jiko is not a good choice.
Jiko is an awesome restaurant. Highly recommended, so yes, spend your 2 credits there. At least the restaurant won't lose money on you.

I don't see where they come up with a TS credit being worth $37, when you are paying over $61/day for the dining plan. $24 a day for a QS and a snack???? Anyway, dining plan is only for those that want convenience, not value.

Weather_Lady

Jiko is an awesome restaurant. Highly recommended, so yes, spend your 2 credits there. At least the restaurant won't lose money on you.

I don't see where they come up with a TS credit being worth $37, when you are paying over $61/day for the dining plan. $24 a day for a QS and a snack???? Anyway, dining plan is only for those that want convenience, not value.

I guess we should have clarified with the OP whether they meant "worth it" financially or in some other sense.

The linked post explains their reasoning for those numbers -- and yes, an entree, dessert and drink at a CS restaurant does run about $18 total, and a snack is about $5. Obviously, you can get more value out of any credit by ordering items that are more expensive than average.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I guess we should have clarified with the OP whether they meant "worth it" financially or in some other sense.

The post explained their reasoning for those numbers -- and yes, an entree, dessert and drink at a CS restaurant does run about $18 total, and a snack is about $5.
Ahh, well, since we always split an entree at a QS place, and never order dessert, I wasn't aware of the costs. We spend $15 for the 2 of us at CHH, so I just couldn't understand how you could spend so much at a QS place. That would mean that we would have to spend $36 at a QS place to make it worthwhile. :eek: We don't snack either, so have no idea what they cost nowadays. We use TiW for the TS places, and pay cash everywhere else. Thanks for the clarification.

Weather_Lady

Ahh, well, since we always split an entree at a QS place, and never order dessert, I wasn't aware of the costs. We spend $15 for the 2 of us at CHH, so I just couldn't understand how you could spend so much at a QS place. That would mean that we would have to spend $36 at a QS place to make it worthwhile. :eek: We don't snack either, so have no idea what they cost nowadays. We use TiW for the TS places, and pay cash everywhere else. Thanks for the clarification.

I don't blame you. The costs are quite horrifying, really, when you compare them with the cost of similar items in the "real world."

For example, here's Pecos Bill's pricing, easily amounting to over $20 for a simple meal. (A burger alone is $14-$16.) https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/magic-kingdom/pecos-bill-tall-tale-inn-and-cafe/menus/ Around these parts, the same $20 would get you a ribeye steak instead of a reheated frozen beef patty.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I don't blame you. The costs are quite horrifying, really, when you compare them with the cost of similar items in the "real world."
Oh, we have no problem with the money at all. It's the amount of food you get. Way too much for us to eat for a QS. We eat at V&A's almost every trip, and have no problem with plunking down several hundred dollars on the meal.

You do understand that Disney pricing is to make the dining plan seem like a good option, don't you?? That is the MAIN reason the prices have gone up so much in the last few years. If Disney priced their food like everyone was paying cash, no one would ever pay for the dining plan, since it wouldn't ever save them money.

Weather_Lady

You do understand that Disney pricing is to make the dining plan seem like a good option, don't you?? That is the MAIN reason the prices have gone up so much in the last few years. If Disney priced their food like everyone was paying cash, no one would ever pay for the dining plan, since it wouldn't ever save them money.

No, I totally get it. (And I pay those prices without a second thought, too... just not with the DDP unless we're getting it "free" as part of a promotion...) :)

71dsp

You guys are making me re-think our ADR choices. Our 180-day mark is coming up quickly, and I've been dying to try Jiko. Better half says Jiko or Sanaa, but not both - and I *love* Sanaa. On our last trip we all got sick (bleh!) and had to skip our Sanaa ADR, so I'm ready to go back there as well. Decisions decisions!!

71dsp

No, I totally get it. (And I pay those prices without a second thought, too... just not with the DDP unless we're getting it "free" as part of a promotion...) :)

Same here. Once the kiddo became an "adult" (at the very adult-like age of 10) we stopped using the Dining Plan. We wouldn't turn down the "free" promotion, but that's the only time we'd use it.

harryk

Do both Sanaa and Jiko , slightly different, but worth the experience. We never pass up Jiko - easy, relaxing atmosphere and you are dining, not just eating. The staff , other V&A, is the best on property - in our humble opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom