Is it safe to say the Electrical Parade is totally shot?

JiminyandTink

Wasn't a Spectro fan. MSEP was the parade of my childhood so I'm partial to it for nostalgic reasons. Was glad it came back. That being said I wish theyd take care of it better

This is the exact same for me, I can't even objectively critique MSEP... as soon as that music comes on, I am instanly a kid again and mesmorized by that parade. I did like Spectro too, but on nostalgia alone, I never want to see MSEP leave again... I love it!

Uncle Remus

This is the exact same for me, I can't even objectively critique MSEP... as soon as that music comes on, I am instanly a kid again and mesmorized by that parade. I did like Spectro too, but on nostalgia alone, I never want to see MSEP leave again... I love it!

There is something special about watching it with my own small children. Over the years generations change and its something that we can both relate to at the same time

Joshua&CalebDad

Wasn't a Spectro fan. MSEP was the parade of my childhood so I'm partial to it for nostalgic reasons. Was glad it came back. That being said I wish theyd take care of it better

Funny, I also remember MSEP from my childhood so it does hold a certain place in my heart it but I always enjoyed Spectro more. Don't know, just always did.

MrsJackSparrow

Parade ran just fine last night. Music was proper, and all floats illuminated well. There are new flourishes on the floats that have a swirl effect which is not constantly lit but lights with certain points in the score, not unlike Spectro.

rodserling27

Call me stubborn, but I freaking love MSEP. I am glad to see some folks giving it some love here. Seems like all anyone wants to do is bash it. Do I want a new parade? If they do it right, then yeah eventually, sure, but I'd love for MSEP to come back every now and again as it has been doing. I don't think it's completely shot...last few times I watched it, everything was great.
And the rumor is that MSEP will go down for a Small refurb when FOF starts?? Doubtful.. I am sorry but realistically I see MSEP getting destroyed like Spectro... What I see happening here, and it is a good thing, is that TDO wants to start fresh with new modern parades.. FOF being the first. Wouldn't surprise me if Boo To You and Once Upon A Christmastime see its last year... Well, float wise anyway.
Last I heard, MSEP would go down for 6 months in 2014 to be spruced up. I would completely shocked if they destroyed the original classic. Especially considering this isn't WDW's parade, this is Disneyland's copy of the parade. Also, I'm pretty sure every single Disneyland die-hard fanatic of this parade (there are a lot of them) would riot if MSEP was destroyed. (Some WDW folks might, too. Others might rejoice...)

Stu29573

MSEP has great memories for me, snd I too live the vocorder voice at the beginning ; "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls....." That being said, my wife is not a fan, and it did seem to run a bit long last time I saw it...

northmusic

I have to agree with bringing the old music\sound programming back to the MSEP. If I remember correctly, the volume balance changes between float themes and the baroque hoedown were far more distinguishable before. The new music\programming seems to stay pretty constant throughout (which makes it a little less interesting as the parade goes on IMO). I could be wrong though.

While I still like the MSEP, Spectro was definitely a step forward though. Sad I won’t get to see it again.

drkokintz

I was in high school when Spectro premiered, and myself and all my Disney friends had a very negative reaction to it. How dare they change something so dear to our childhood? </slight sarcasm> It took a few years, but I warmed up to it; then I was very joyful when MSEP came back in 1999. I was there for the last (we were told) run on 4/1/01. Magical and sad experience, plus complimentary lithograph. And it was at that time that I put my expectations on seeing it again to rest.

When it came back in 2010, I was apprehensive. I felt oddly betrayed by having said a meaningful goodbye to the parade, only to see it back again. That, and the soundtrack differences from the original to new version are disconcerting.

I find it interesting that I view the MSEP through a lens of nostalgia that many a little younger than me see Spectro, and while I usually disagree with their opinions of both parades, I totally understand it.

I think we are all ready for something new. Something we can all collectively hate at first for being different, but grow to love as a part of the Disney experience. And then amuse ourselves when the next generation continues the cycle.

JillC LI

The last time I saw it pete was missing on Elliot, Dopes coal kart was missing, Some things didnt light up, some sections of the units were dim and most of all some units were verry quiet and sone I couldnt hear at all. I was standing by the big birdhouse speaker by the small jail posts in Liberty Square, maybe thats a bad spot to hear the units but I do now know.

Pete was on Elliot when we saw it for the first time last December. That was my favorite part of the parade! I suppose we never saw it in its glory, but we loved it!

Communicore

I don't like this parade at all especially since it was rebranded as "Disney's Electrical Parade" and the music changed. I mean I liked it back then but that was in the 80's.

pumpkin7

I've never seen Spectro, so the MSEP just says Disney to me.
I love the atmosphere it brings with it, the music, the floats, I just love it.

Though Pete was missing from Elliot when we saw it too. Any reason why?

Figments Friend

I have to agree with bringing the old music\sound programming back to the MSEP. If I remember correctly, the volume balance changes between float themes and the baroque hoedown were far more distinguishable before. The new music\programming seems to stay pretty constant throughout (which makes it a little less interesting as the parade goes on IMO). I could be wrong though.

While I still like the MSEP, Spectro was definitely a step forward though. Sad I won’t get to see it again.

You are correct. The new score for the currant MSEP is less interesting musically because of the very reason you pointed out ( lack of variety the melodies ).
One of several reasons why the original score is superior, in my opinion.

When you compare the two, it is clear that there is a LOT going on creatively in the score. The newer version was 'cute-ified' and filled with a lot of repeating sequences that tire your ear out after 3 minutes into the parade.

The original score also had the main melody that repeated often, but it was done is a slightly different presentation. This was plussed musically once some of the different floats started passing by. Yes, that still happens in the currant score...but as you noted the backing score is less pronounced and produces a different effect. The original seemed to have a better presentation.

Never really understood why Disney felt they needed to 'update' the score to MSEP. It is a true classic piece of music that has been beloved for ages and associated with DL and WDW for just as long.

Who thought it sounded 'outdated'....? Where is there head..?

I am sorry, but i would rather hear REAL 70s syth music instead of bogus digitized imposters pretending to be 'real 70s syths'.

The original score RULES.

The new version....meh...not appealing to me at all.
I love the parade....just not so keen on the new score.

adv.bluedude

Here is the original Soundtrack:

Here is the current one:

Yes. The turtle with the glasses and Alice are still there.

That's so weird. It sounds like the newer version is in a different key than the original. And the newer version sounds like it was done with midi rather than actual synths. Strange. Very strange. Also sad.

Dragonrider1227

When I saw it in June, everything seemed to be working fine except the train float was missing.
I'm noticing some severe irony here. This board is full of people saying they should bring back
"classic" attractions and when they bring one back, they complain it's "outdated" and "annoying." :/

merry68

Spectro was ok. But my 11yr old loves MSEP. So although MSEP may seem outdated and annoying to some but she loves it. I've told her it will come to an end at some point.

rodserling27

That's so weird. It sounds like the newer version is in a different key than the original. And the newer version sounds like it was done with midi rather than actual synths. Strange. Very strange. Also sad.
You are exactly right. The new one lacks humanity because it's all computer programmed, whereas the original was actual analog synthesizers. They are in different keys too.

The original score RULES.

The new version....meh...not appealing to me at all.
I love the parade....just not so keen on the new score.

Couldn't agree more. Original score was pure magic, through and through. New one is more like ..."Oh yeah...OK, it's THIS song..."

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom