Is It Really Worth It?

artbell2

Original Poster
I'm just curious. I work full-time in the grocery business as a head stocker (not making much money either) and it frustrates me to no end that I work my tail off but my paycheck doesn't show for it. I bust my tail to the point where my body hurts. And yet people's hours are being cut (luckily I'm getting my hours) but it's all about doing more for less money or also doing more with less people. It drives me insane that I'm doing all this for low wage. I know this kind of job doesn't pay much to start with. However, I do think that I'm being underpaid to a certain extent. I have a very labor intensive job and I'm beginning to feel that it isn't really worth tearing my body up for. I was just curious if any of you feel this way at Disney. Your expected to handle large crowds of people and maintain that Disney corporate image. Do any of you feel working at Disney is worth it? I mean, yes I do know that you get perks for getting in the park free, etc. You come home to the point of complete exhaustion but your paycheck comes home with you so ridiciulusly low. It makes you wonder how anyone is suppose to live off that money.

Thanks,
Mike

Pioneer Hall

I can't speak from experience, but I have heard this similar story from many current and former CM's. Disney is known for their low pay at basically every level except for the executive one. While some people do like the reward of working for Disney and "making dreams come true"...they still have to pay their bills at the end of the month. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for out of your job and how much you are willing to sacrifise.

Tinkrbell

Yes & no.
I did Career Start (college program without beign in college) from August 2008-May 2009 in costuming & have stayed seasonal since. I'll be returning this August for the College Program to work in merchandise. I'm not sure how it will be in merchandise, but costuming was amazing. I never interacted with guests in the parks, but the CMs who worked in the park & the performers were my guests. When I worked at Fantasmic & in the character room, I knew I was making it possible for people to meet the characters & I always seemed to get a little teary-eyed at te end of Fantasmic every night. The friendships I formed there will last forever & I can't wait to go back.
On the negative side, it wasn't so much long hours (most of my shifts were no more than 9 hours), but I didn't always have enough time between shifts to go back to my apartment & get a decent amount of sleep because I would only be home for 4 or 5 hours before having to catch the bus to go back to work. There were several days that I went to work without having slept the night before. I hurt my back during a rehearsal at Fantasmic from lifting the costumes so many times & in the wrong way. It doesn't really affect my day to day activities, but I frequently go to bed or wake up with back pain.
Yeah, my paychecks were on the small side, but my rent was taken directly out of my paycheck every week and my rent included all utilities, internet, cable, everything. After buying groceries every week, I wasn't left with a whole lot of extra spending money for other stuff. I usually had to have my mom buy my medicine that I need & ship it down to me because I just couldnt afford it.
Career Start & College Program are at the bottom of the labor chain, making the least money & getting the hours no one else wants to work.

TheBeatles

For starters, money is not a motivator for me.

With that said, asking "is it worth it?" is hard to define. Personally, working for Disney is worth it because I have a passion for the company and believe in the product.

The overall consensus is that pay is too low. I never had a terrible experience working long hours because each location is different. However, I do know others who worked their hinds off.

joanna71985

It depends on the person. But I feel the CP is worth the experience. I've learned a lot from my programs, and had so much fun that I've gone fulltime at Disney.

I thought working for Disney was worth the experience, but I came back from the CP with a little credit card debt (under $1000) mainly because I was paying student loans while I was in the program and it doesn't pay more then you would need to live there during your time there. (I worked overtime a lot and had enough, after they took out rent, to pay for my basic needs and a few entertainment needs) I looked into it a while back, and as a cast member it wouldn't pay enough for me to live comfortably and pay all my bills (including my student loans). I would however consider it a great "part time"/ second job for the other benefits the job brings (free access to the parks, special perks, being part of the "magical experience", etc). So, I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a job/career.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom