Is it better to go to Disney around Christmas time, or Halloween?

Gullywhumper

Considering the fact i've never been to the park in either of these time frames, I'd like to know which one is better. There are some things that are needed to determine which one is better.

1.How long are the wait times?

2.What are the shows/parades like?

3.What characters are there?

4.How crowded is it?

5.Would the overall enjoyment be higher?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

ratherbeinwdw

Considering the fact i've never been to the park in either of these time frames, I'd like to know which one is better. There are some things that are needed to determine which one is better.

4.How crowded is it?

It depends on when you go. We've gone to MNSSHP in September and October. September wasn't crowded at all, but we didn't go during a free dining week. The closer you get to Halloween the more crowded the event.
We've only gone to MVMCP in November. It wasn't crowded then either. We always get there at 4 and between four and seven, when the event actually starts, waits were short. Later in the evening they do get a little heavy.
The parades are amazing for both. We like the Halloween one the best.
We also like the characters out for the Halloween party the best also. It's the only time Jack Sparrow has a meet and greet. They also have characters from the Haunted Mansion out.
We really like the snow on Main Street and the cookies and hot chocolate at the Christmas party.
If you've never seen the Osborne Lights at HS, then Christmas is a must.
It really depends on what you enjoy more--Christmas stuff or Halloween stuff.

Upvote 0

me_stitch

Premium Member
We've gone in October and December and I liked the Christmas theming a little better. Osborne Lights are a must. If you go the first week that the Osborne Lights are up you might get a little of both.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

4.How crowded is it?

I don't think there is a "better" and some will have a differing opinion than others.

Wait times depend on the crowd level of the park.

The shows and parades are themed on the season for the extra ticket events.

Disney characters

Crowds depend on the day. The closer to the actual holiday, generally the more crowded the parks are.

Overall enjoyment is dependent on the person. I don't think anyone here can answer that question for you individually.

Upvote 0

Gullywhumper

Original Poster
It depends on when you go. We've gone to MNSSHP in September and October. September wasn't crowded at all, but we didn't go during a free dining week. The closer you get to Halloween the more crowded the event.
We've only gone to MVMCP in November. It wasn't crowded then either. We always get there at 4 and between four and seven, when the event actually starts, waits were short. Later in the evening they do get a little heavy.
The parades are amazing for both. We like the Halloween one the best.
We also like the characters out for the Halloween party the best also. It's the only time Jack Sparrow has a meet and greet. They also have characters from the Haunted Mansion out.
We really like the snow on Main Street and the cookies and hot chocolate at the Christmas party.
If you've never seen the Osborne Lights at HS, then Christmas is a must.
It really depends on what you enjoy more--Christmas stuff or Halloween stuff.
Thanks for the suggestion! It's good to know what different people think about the different events.

Upvote 0

Gullywhumper

Original Poster
I don't think there is a "better" and some will have a differing opinion than others.

Wait times depend on the crowd level of the park.

The shows and parades are themed on the season for the extra ticket events.

Disney characters

Crowds depend on the day. The closer to the actual holiday, generally the more crowded the parks are.

Overall enjoyment is dependent on the person. I don't think anyone here can answer that question for you individually.
Thanks for the review!

Upvote 0

DisneyDaver

I love both, but MNSSHP is a can't miss event so I would pick Halloween over Christmas season for that alone. MNSSHP has parade the best at any of the parks and Hallowishes is the best fireworks show.

And if you are so inclined to spend a day or two at UOR, HHN is a blast (for adults)!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

You cant imagine the beauty of Disney at Christmas. IMHO thats the most magical time to go... everyone should experience a Christmas time trip once in their Disney life. Weve gone in the weeks after Thanksgiving and before Christmas week. You are there after the Thanksgiving rush and the pre Christmas week crunch. It has started getting more popular so yes, the crowd levels have increased since more guests have stumbled upon this time period. Everything puts you in the holiday spirit from the decorations everywhere you look, decorated trees & wreaths, to the lights & parades. Theres MVMCP, Candlelight procession, Santas of every nation, Christmas stories, huge gingerbread house at GF, special window scenes in the stores. You will never in your life see anything as amazing as the Osborne light show with the synchronized music. We do our Christmas shopping for relatives, they all get some kind of Disney gift upon our return. If you want to get a real holiday spirit deep in your soul... go to Disney.
If I was told I could only go to Disney once in my lifetime I'd go at Christmas time.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Well, Halloween is really only MNSSHP. There are some decorations outside of the actual party hours, but not much, and nothing nearly on the amount they put out for Christmas. But, MNSSHP is much better than MVMCP. In either case, most of the seasonal entertainment for the holidays at MK is during the party only. Santa may do meetings during the day, and the week before Christmas (After the last MVMCP) they will show some of the party entertainment. DHS, Epcot, (possibly AK) all do have Christmas seasonal entertainment during December that doesn't require buying a party ticket for.
Early December (still Christmas season & decorations) not terribly crowded, late December (right at Christmas) pretty gosh darn crowded. I've been early October, late October, early Dec, and early Jan (tail end of holidays). I'd say that I've found October (outside of F&W nights & weekends at Epcot) to be mostly on par crowd wise with early Dec, and early Jan to be less crowded.

Upvote 0

Tom 55

I have done both Halloween and Christmas party. I had done the MNSSHP twice so in 2012 I wanted to see what Disney looked like all dressed up for Christmas. I paid the extra price for the Christmas party. Both were great and I am glad that I was able to see both. The Holiday parade with the snow falling on main street with the toy solders marching is something you have to see but so is the headless horseman who leads off the Halloween parade. You have to see both. Do like we did one year for Halloween and the next time for Christmas. Here are some pictures. Osbourne lights #1 Main Street #2 Trick or treat in MK #3 Start of BOO to you parade.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1435.JPG
    IMG_1435.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1440.JPG
    IMG_1440.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

Kev1417

stricly from a crowds perspective how bad are the first 2 weeks in Dec.? We usually go the first 2 weeks in Sept and everything short of the big rides are no more than 10-15 mins. Big ones are usually around 30-45.

Upvote 0

JohnD

There are multiple options during each period. During "Halloween", you have MNSSHP as well as the Epcot F&W Festival which so far has been left out of this discussion. During "Christmas", you have MVMCP, the Osborne Spectacle of Dancing Lights in HS, and the Candlelight Procession.

Of the parties, I prefer MNSSHP. I also like having the F&W Festival at the same time. There are also fewer crowds (relative, I know) during this time over Christmas. So, my pick is Halloween.

Upvote 0
stricly from a crowds perspective how bad are the first 2 weeks in Dec.? We usually go the first 2 weeks in Sept and everything short of the big rides are no more than 10-15 mins. Big ones are usually around 30-45.

IMOP I think the first 2 weeks in Sept is the best time to go. The parks are busy from Thanksgiving thru the first of the year. I used to go to the Christmas Party whis is fun but the crowds are just insane. I like to go right after Labor Day the Tuesday after Labor Day is great!! You get alot of in state people that go Labor Day because it's close for them to go so for short vacation.

Upvote 0

mickey2008.1

We have done both. We go in Sept for the Halloween stuff, MK is the only place really decorated at all. And the cost for the MNSSHN is not worth it in my opinion. Crowds are low, and the fire works show is great, watch it from POLY beach< Grand Floridian, or Contemporary. Now Christmas time is a totaly different beast. All the parks and resorts are decorated, and well worth all going to. The earlier in the season, the better for low crowds, especially the week after Thanksgiving thru the 18/19, barring weekends. The Mickeys Very Merry Christmas is not worth it it either, way too crowded for a few cookies and hot chocolate if you are lucky. You can still get the fake snow over at DHS during Osborne Lights, which are free! I know this does not help much, but Christmas time has more theming, and Halloween is still cool at the MK.

Upvote 0

SMS55

What holiday do you prefer Christmas or Halloween? Halloween is generally a good time to go because it is not too crowded. The kids are in school and the crowds are more than manageable. Early October the weather can still be a little on the hot side with the summer time pattern but it changes by the middle of the month and it becomes more than comfortable with the humidity having dropped off. If you prefer Christmas then it's the best time of the year to go. Disney knows how to decorate the parks for Christmas. There are more events going on. You have the Candelight Procession, Osborne Spectacle of Lights and more. If you go in early to mid December it's the same as in October. The crowds are manageable. However once the kids let out of school you'll see the crowd level go up exponentially by the day beginning that weekend and peak from just before Christmas through New Year's. The crowds will be unbearable as it is the busiest time of the year at Disney. We've gone in mid October and mid December the last few years and had a great time. During both periods the Magic Kingdom will close early on certain nights for the Halloween and Christmas parties, so take that into account when planning your days for either time.

Upvote 0

Clubkid74

I usually go the first week of December and crowd levels haven't been bad at all the past few years and me and the family go at least twice a year

Upvote 0

SeanWM48

my last 2 trips were during halloween time and we're doing mid/late november this time. will be finding out. christmas would have to be pretty amazing to surpass the job they do on halloween.

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

I like Halloween better. Lower crowds in September vs. First week of November and the horrid Thanksgiving week we did. Would never repeat that. Loved the lights and MVMCP but it was just too crowded as compared to Fall and MNSSHP. We didn't get to do near as much at the party like we did at MNSSHP. Doing It again this year!

Upvote 0

PrincessChristina

I would say that it depends on what you're looking for. While the fall decorations are lovely, I think the Christmas decor is even more beautiful. The overall feeling and festiveness you get in December is just magical. However, from my experience, the parks are more crowded around Christmas time. So if you are interested in going during a time that is less crowded with a bit less wait times, I'd say October. Have fun whenever you do decide to go. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom