Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

HauntedMansionFLA

Rafiki's Planet Watch is easily the most overlooked/underrated attraction at DAK. It is amazing and I can spend upwards of 65 minutes there if you time it right with the surgeries and everything.
It’s like TSL at the MK. A great way to escape the madness while learning a whole bunch. It’s a awesome area. I totally agree with you that people overlook it while rushing around.

BenJacobs

Course it does.

WDI agree. But instead we got the blue men Soarin and the light show boat ride.

I’d say although the rides themselves have not much to do with the themes of Animal Kingdom, the actual film is the perfect IP. Avatar is all about conservation, respecting the environment and not exploiting the environment for profit(it’s also about retaining culture, but obviously that isn’t as relevant in Animal Kingdom).

Marc Davis Fan

Mysterious Island would probably have fit just as well as Beastly Kingdom would have. Both Mysterious Island attractions center on imaginary animals.

However, Pandora not only showcases imaginary animals (and ecosystems!), but also emphasizes the conservation message (especially in FoP). Since conservation is a central theme of AK, I would argue that Pandora is actually a substantially better fit than Mysterious Island.

Also, having spent a lot of time in both lands, standing around and staring at everything in awe: from a thematic/design perspective, I think both are absolutely extraordinary, and would have great difficulty trying to decide which is “better” (they each have different/unique strengths).

Last edited:

BenJacobs

Mysterious Island would probably have fit just as well as Beastly Kingdom would have. Both Mysterious Island attractions center on imaginary animals.

However, Pandora not only showcases imaginary animals (and ecosystems!), but also emphasizes the conservation message (especially in FoP). Since conservation is a central theme of AK, I would argue that Pandora is actually a substantially better fit than Mysterious Island.

Also, having spent a lot of time in both lands, standing around and staring at everything in awe: from a thematic/design perspective, I think both are absolutely extraordinary, and would have great difficulty trying to decide which is “better” (they each have different/unique strengths).

Imaginary animals and ecosystems, but Pandora represents Earth. The wildlife and plants are inspired by real plants and animals - the one thing that isn’t very Earth-like are the banshees.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Remember Mysterious Island was to have been cloned physically, not thematically. No lava monster or Jules Verne in DAK.

RSoxNo1

Course it does.
WDI agree. But instead we got the blue men Soarin and the light show boat ride.
Remember Mysterious Island was to have been cloned physically, not thematically. No lava monster or Jules Verne in DAK.
The story treatment of Pandora is excellent for that park. I don't think Mysterious Island would have been a bad fit, but I'm interested to see if they had a story treatment that would have made it a better fit than Pandora. A direct lift certainly wouldn't be.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The story treatment of Pandora is excellent for that park. I don't think Mysterious Island would have been a bad fit, but I'm interested to see if they had a story treatment that would have made it a better fit than Pandora. A direct lift certainly wouldn't be.
It was guaranteed not a direct lift. Slot ride was something other than monsters and such, I don’t recall what. 20K was marine life and mythical underwater creatures. More reality/fantasy rather than pure fantasy.

RSoxNo1

It was guaranteed not a direct lift. Slot ride was something other than monsters and such, I don’t recall what. 20K was marine life and mythical underwater creatures. More reality/fantasy rather than pure fantasy.
I know that when the Pocahontas show closed in 2008 the thought at the time was a Mysterious Island being built in that area. I assume that's the timeline you're talking about here?

HoraceHorizons

That would have been a really cool fit for AK... I'd always thought an area relating to marine life would be a really good fit but wasn't sure how to anchor such an area without building another huge aquarium.

Given James Cameron's affinity for undersea explorations and Bioilluminescence (which I can't spell), I would almost guarantee that his AVATAR sequels show us some undersea bioilluminescent (spelling?) creatures.* I'd further bet that if there's another PANDORA ride, this is the kind of thing we are in for - a good fit for DAK, me thinks.

*also of note is that these may tie his Avatar films indirectly to The Abyss, which also features poorly-spelled bioilluminescent, undersea aliens, from an unknown planet, warning humans about conservation. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Bocabear

The videos I have seen for it look like smoke and disco lights... Was hoping that in person it looks a lot more realistic...But what could possibly be better than the real thing... Disneyland's redo of the Submarine Voyage is charming.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom