Is Grand Californian worth it?

spock

Original Poster
Hello,

My girlfriend wants to take me on a very special trip this year, and she's given me a few choices. One of those is to go to Disneyland and stay at the Grand Californian, which she knows is something I've always been intrigued to do, but haven't yet because of the price. I would love to hear opinions about whether or not it's worth the price and whether I should maybe "downgrade" to Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier. I checked reviews of the Grand Californian on Yelp, and they were somewhat disappointing. Any insights from those of you who have stayed there would be great! I've been in the hotel countless times and have explored the lobby, shops and restaurants, but have just never stayed there.

Tom

Beta Return
We've stayed there once, but it was in a Villa. I'm sure their rooms are on par with WDW Deluxe Resort rooms, if not better.

If you've ever been to Wilderness Lodge, it's basically that, with a Californian theme. It's huge. It's incredible. And it's basically in California Adventure. You walk right into the park from the hotel. And if you go out the other direction, you're in Downtown Disney and only a couple blocks from the entrance to Disneyland. It's VERY convenient.

We've also stayed at Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier. Both were very nice, but there's nothing "magical" about either of them. They're highrise hotels that have had some Disney graphics applied to them. Don't get me wrong - they're very nice. The rooms are deluxe, especially those at Disneyland Hotel with the fancy headboards, but the buildings and properties are bland.

Also, Disneyland Hotel is quite a haul from the parks. Paradise Pier is a bit closer, but still requires dodging psychotic drivers as you cross a 5-lane road. Those two hotels just didn't do anything for me, but GCR "IS" Disney.

It definitely costs more, but you won't be disappointed. I'm not sure what the negative reviews are about, but I take online hotel reviews for a grain of salt. Only people who want to complain will post reviews, and they usually only do so without sleeping on it. They just spout off about something that was likely an isolated incident, or just didn't meet their unjust expectations.

TP2000

I've stayed at the GCH, and had family stay there. It's convenient to DCA, less so to Disneyland, especially at Disneyland closing time or if bag check lines are long. The Napa Rose and its cocktail lounge are very good. But...

You are paying Mandarin Oriental or Four Seasons prices for the GCH, but getting Sheraton service. The service just isn't as polished and professional as it should be at those prices, which stings more because Orange County has truly great luxury hotels perched on cliffs above the ocean that deliver that type of top-notch, personal service. (I've always been treated phenomenally well by the entire team at Hotel Montage or the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Beach, for example.) And those cliff-top luxury hotels have prices comparable or a tad less than what Disney charges at the GCH.

The valet runners and front desk staff are the weakest links of service at the GCH; either sloppy and unpolished (valet parking guys), or a tad smarmy with a dollop of attitude for no good reason (front desk clerks). The lobby area always has a couple Security guards in polyester uniforms eyeing everyone indiscreetly and making Barney Fife look smooth. The GCH restaurant and bar staff are better, but not sparkling. The only department that routinely looked me in the eye, smiled, and then said something shocking like "Good morning, sir" was the GCH housekeepers and housemen in the halls. No one else could be bothered.

And don't get me started on the GCH Concierge Lounge hostess who didn't have coffee to offer at 10:30 AM. (But told me with a cheesy smile that I could walk down to La Brea Bakery and get some myself.)

If I had to stay on Disneyland Resort property, I'd choose the Disneyland Hotel. It's the same Sheraton-level service with a Disney nametag overlay, but at least it's a bit cheaper than the GCH.

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

To me, it's not worth the money. The rooms aren't nice enough and the service isn't up to what they charge, as described above. You're paying purely for the location, and that's not enough for me. On property I prefer DLH, but it's too expensive for what it is as well.

I think GCH is a good once-in-a-lifetime thing - do it once to get it out of your system if you can afford it.

kkocka

Overall I'd say that the Grand Californian is a better hotel experience: it's layout being indoors, the restaurants, shops, bar, fireplace, spa/gym/pool, and lobby all convenient and of course the attached entrance to DCA. Very well crafted. Although the theming is fantastic (esp at Christmas, you definitely don't feel you're in Southern California), for the price I tend to choose The Disneyland Hotel. It has had a fantastic redesign and has all those tasteful and subtle Disney touches everywhere - the bathroom hardware, carpet, lighting, etc. Each tower is different though you have to go outside to venture between them. Definitely a contemporary feel, plus you have Trader Sam's right by you.

Unfortunately the price gap between The Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier Hotel is so narrow that I never consider Paradise Pier - it has a special place in my heart and a special appreciation, but I doubt I'll be choosing it anytime soon. Definitely a step down in quality between the two (its not bad, just plain and bare-minimum in comparison).

KeithVH

Just got back from 4 days at GCH. I would agree with the "do it once" mentality. From afar, it is nice. Up close, it is tired. But that wasn't our issue. Beyond the staff service issues noted above (we experienced the same thing, especially Guest Services), we felt they had bigger issues.

Because of accessibility, it's amazing how many non-hotel guests make themselves at home in the lobby and common areas. Yes, I get they're public areas, but it got so crowded, I heard more than one hotel guest complain how they couldn't enjoy the lobby, tree, decorations, etc. I mean, at the point you see large families having a picnic out of the cooler on their stroller (including blanket on the floor and everything), you start to wonder why you paid the premium price for that type of experience. Real high class people, you know?

And heaven forbid you need to get back to your room (above Napa Rose) from DD and WoC just ended. It boggles my mind that the mass of humanity lacked the understanding that people can walk through doors BOTH ways. Way too much stink-eye from people who were wishing for a one-way sign, I guess.

Theming - meh. Very understated, very lodge-y. For the rooms, I always thought PP did a better theming job overall; you knew you were in a Disney room.

Don't get me wrong, we had a good time. But it COULD have been MUCH better. PP really does get you more bang for your buck. But I will repeat myself - enjoy it at least once.

TP2000

Just got back from 4 days at GCH. I would agree with the "do it once" mentality. From afar, it is nice. Up close, it is tired. But that wasn't our issue. Beyond the staff service issues noted above (we experienced the same thing, especially Guest Services), we felt they had bigger issues.

Thank God. Sometimes I'm afraid that I'm just a cranky old man who expects too much from service staff at expensive hotels. (And too many of the GCH CM's certainly don't understand that they are in the "service" industry, they apparently think they are cooler than their paying guests.)

I'm glad, yet sad, that I'm not the only one who notices the mediocre Sheraton-level service at extravagant Four Seasons prices at Disney's "deluxe" hotels in this country.

Want a truly wonderful and spectacularly polished Disney hotel experience? Ask me about my stay at Disney's MiraCosta Hotel at Tokyo Disney Resort. It makes the Grand Californian look like a highway Motel 6 on a bad night.

Polished, professional, and personal service is possible at a Disney owned and branded hotel. But apparently not in this country. You have to go to Tokyo to get that level of service.

Sorry this turned into a bit of a rant thread. But the real blame is on the management of the Grand Californian Hotel and their big bosses in TDA. They aren't doing their jobs correctly.

Last edited:

stevehousse

Hello,

My girlfriend wants to take me on a very special trip this year, and she's given me a few choices. One of those is to go to Disneyland and stay at the Grand Californian, which she knows is something I've always been intrigued to do, but haven't yet because of the price. I would love to hear opinions about whether or not it's worth the price and whether I should maybe "downgrade" to Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier. I checked reviews of the Grand Californian on Yelp, and they were somewhat disappointing. Any insights from those of you who have stayed there would be great! I've been in the hotel countless times and have explored the lobby, shops and restaurants, but have just never stayed there.

Can't speak for the hotels as I have never stayed at GC but do not use Yelp as a guide for reviews for anything! Use any other service that provides reviews but Yelp. Sorry to rant, but their practices are extremely unfair and they basically blackmail businesses into buying into their services for "good reviews". :)

spock

Original Poster
Thank you so much to everyone for your advice! As it turns out, my girlfriend ended up going ahead and booking it, so I'll get to find out for myself soon. The advice was great though as far as setting my expectations appropriately! Thanks again!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom