Is DVC for us?

TXDisney

Original Poster
My wife and I have discussed becoming DVC members for a couple years now. What sparked it was us going to WDW 5 times over a 2yr time period. We love wdw obviously, which got us thinking financially is it smarter long term for us to become DVC members, if we plan on going at least 1 week a year. If we decide to go the DVC route... Next would be deciding a resort. The BCV seem to be what my wife wants. Epcot is our favorite park. We would be looking on the resale market as well. Before we purchase... What perks is there to being a DVC member? Is it worth the 30k investment? Any info would be appreciated, as this is becoming hopefully more of a reality.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
BCV is very popular, and a quick check on the Timeshare store has zero resales at the moment. Why 30k? That would get you about 250 points there. Anyway, a few questions to think about.
1) When you went to Disney, where did you stay? Deluxe? Moderate? Do you ever stay Value or off-site just to save money, and do you prefer that? DVC is only for someone wanting to stay at a Deluxe resort, and save a ton of money doing it.
2) If you are sure that you will go every year, then it becomes more of an option for you. If you decide that you don't think you may want to visit the resorts for a few years, you can at least rent your points to pay for your dues that year.
3) One thing to understand about buying resale, is that you are limited to how you can use your points. You will not be able to use your points for a cruise, AdbyD, or the resort collection. You are pretty much limited to DVC resorts, and trading out to RCI. Not an issue for 99% of us, but just want you to understand up front.
4) Maybe start with a smaller contract. We started with 160, but added on another 200 just 2 years later, and will be adding on again soon. They call it add-on-itis and it is real! When we first purchased many years ago, we thought a studio would be just fine for the 2 of us. On one trip we decided to do the 1 bedroom, and we have never looked back. While we don't cook on vacation, having the extra space, king bed, whirlpool tub, washer/dryer, and living room, we have decided that a studio is not for us, unless as a short ad-on to an existing trip.
5) Perks. Well, there are some. We get the Florida resident rate for APs and PAPs, even if you don't live in Florida. Big savings over the normal price. They do have specials to watch out for. A few years ago, they had PAPs for $399!! Wish they would bring that back! We also get the TiW, which really saves on the TS restaurants. There are discounts for some other activities like La Nouba and such. The rest are discounts for shopping that you get as a passholder as well. One thing to remember - ALL of the perks can go away without notice at any time. DO NOT buy into DVC thinking that you will always get discounts on park tickets (unless you live in Florida), TiW, and the other perks. Buy into DVC ONLY to save money on future RESORT costs only.

I have a spreadsheet that I maintain with every penny that we have spent on DVC - buy-in, dues - and how much we would have spent if we would have paid cash. Just in the last several years, with 16 trips, we have saved, just in the cost of the resort, over $12,000. That doesn't even include the savings from the APs and TiW. We live in TX as well, so would normally not be able to purchase the TiW or get Florida resident pricing for the APs. Oh, and I factored in any possible discount that we MIGHT have gotten if we paid cash. That savings has paid for a lot of extras on our trips.

Some naysayers claim that you can do better with a CM discount, or with the other discounts that Disney offers, seemingly every year. What they fail to understand is that not everyone knows a CM (we don't) to get that discount, and Disney can end discounts at any time. In addition, not every room type is available either. If you have extended family that you are bringing down, and want to all stay in a 3 bedroom Grand Villa, well, you will NEVER see those available for cash rentals as they are always booked by DVC members, since is there are so few of them.

So crunch the numbers. It is a good idea to buy where you want to stay, but getting BCV will be difficult, even on the resale market. You'll probably have to contact the resale companies, and get put on a waiting list for what you are looking for.

Good luck, and yes, it was definitely worth the investment to us!

lostpro9het

Trust the Goof!
They call it add-on-itis and it is real!
It is very real and has already hit us in less than a few months of our initial resale purchase.

For us it made economical sense, we go every year and had been renting points and occasionally staying in cash rooms. During our time up to purchasing we stayed in many of the DVC resorts and fell for AKL and made that our home with 160 and are now waiting on ROFR for an additional 50. After a lot of research we did not see the value in a direct purchase. We felt the cruises were a poor use of points, just our opinion, and that Adventures by Disney were not for us. Additionally, things like spending 30 points for a night in AoA during the value season did not make the Disney Collection seem attractive either when that could get a 2-bedroom Villa in AKL during the same time for the same points. This may be an extreme example but it still reflects the poor value, IMO, of using points for the collections. As stated above, do not buy in for any perk other than knowing you have the opportunity to stay in the bubble on an annual or semi-annual basis. Plan for the future! We've already discover that we are quickly outgrowing the studio lifestyle, 13yo DD, and are moving into 1-bedroom stays now. Studios are great for parent trips or when the DD was 10 but now privacy is king! :D This meant we had to get more points to comfortably meet our new needs. Just my personal experience but in one calendar year we will recoup close to 50% of our resale purchase based on the rack rate for the stays we've had and will have in the coming months! Yeah, rack rate is probably a poor guide but if you use discounted rates or even point rental rates we are about a third of the way to recouping our initial resale buy-in in one year. While we are still quite green as being DVC members we have no regrets and look forward to the future!

TXDisney

Original Poster
We absolutely would do a deluxe DVC. We like the boardwalk villas as well, but the pool at BC Villas has us sold. What is the price difference between buying a resale or straight through DVC?

lostpro9het

We absolutely would do a deluxe DVC. We like the boardwalk villas as well, but the pool at BC Villas has us sold. What is the price difference between buying a resale or straight through DVC?
Last I read it was $155/point direct, your resale prices will vary, widely, based on number of points and how loaded the contract is. FYI, if you are able to get a BCV or BWV contract from DVD the expiration date of the contract does not change! So a BWV or BCV contract bought from resale OR DVD will both expire in 2042.

TXDisney

Original Poster
That's roughly 50% more to do it direct. Which is significant. I think I'd rather take my risk on the resale market.

Garfield

Love being a DVC member. Sounds like you would be a good candidate for membership. Definitely buy resale. Our initial purchase was through Disney, but have bought a few other contracts on the resale market, from the sponsor above. No problems. We bought those add-ons (50 point contracts) when the economy was down a few years ago, and now they would sell for $15-$20 per point more than what we paid! I would agree with the others and advise for you to buy a contract between 150-200 points and add on when available. Pick the resort you want to stay at the most or may need the earlier booking window on. Also pay attention to the yearly fees per point each resort charges as this will be a bigger expense over the years, even more than your initial purchase. One other point, we paid cash for ours so if you finance you will have that extra charge.

TXDisney

Original Poster
Risk in that getting the villas we want for the points we want might not be easy. BCV are high priority. And at 200-250pts.

dreamfinder

As of now, all DVC is classified as deluxe. I think @LuvtheGoof was referring more towards break even. If you would normally stay at a deluxe resort your break even comes much faster than if you would normally stay at a value. The only way to tell if DVC might be for you is to run the numbers. See what you have been spending on your resort stays, then compare to what it will cost to stay in DVC. My suggestion is always to ignore rack price on DVC units as they are inflated to make it seem like a better deal.

The price savings from buying resale is pretty big, but you need to be willing to wait until what you want comes up, and then be willing/able to jump on it. As mentioned you do lose some trade out ability, but in most cases the trade out isn't worth it. Be certain you can afford it long term. And at a "sold out" property, DVD basically buys from resale on your behalf by executing ROFR on someone else's sale.

Risk in that getting the villas we want for the points we want might not be easy. BCV are high priority. And at 200-250pts.

Availability all depends on when you go. If you avoid F&W weekends, 7 month availability can still be decent. If you must stay at BCV, then that is where you should buy.

WWWD

I would just make contact with a couple re-sale brokers and tell them what you want and then wait for a contract to come up. We bought our first contract re-sale at BCV and had no problem finding the perfect contract for us within a few months. New contracts become available everyday, have patience to get what you truly want. I know sometimes it's hard with the NEED to become a DVC member right Now.

TXDisney

Original Poster
What is the timeframe once you make the request? Obviously it varies but on average. For let's say 200-250pts at BCV?

WWWD

What is the timeframe once you make the request? Obviously it varies but on average. For let's say 200-250pts at BCV?

Ours came up in less than a couple months and then it takes a while for Disney to OK the sale with their ROFR. Brokers are probably pretty good at "guessing" how often certain contracts come up. Also, remember hot contracts are usually snagged before even hitting the brokers websites. That's why you want them looking for you and not trying to find it yourself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom