Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

el_super

Another interesting article. AAA travel is projecting busy summer travel and Disney is projecting a slow summer.

Disneyland isn't seeing any significant declines in attendance, and the cruise line is booked solid. If the problems are really focused on Florida/ Walt Disney World, then the obvious answer would be falling international demand and tourism where WDW would be significantly more vulnerable than other Disney resorts.

Which means both things can be true: more Americans are traveling (even to Orlando and Anaheim) but they aren't overcoming the decline in international visitation. Additionally, if the dollar is strong abroad, Americans would be more inclined to spend vacation dollars internationally where vacations are cheaper.

None of this is really a deal breaker for WDW. It's designed to bend and flex with these changes in demand. More than likely, if word gets out that the parks are uncrowded and empty, they will fill back up soon enough.

Andrew25

Could be that for the past 2 years Disney has been the target of some brutal articles from popular sites on their pricing/ridiculous crowds and people looking elsewhere for their vacations.

Nubs70

Hopefully the lever that jettisons Iger.
And replace with what?

With the lack of an heir apparent, the best expectation is another Business Process Optimizer. Anyone "creative" will be met with less excitement by The Street than a "formulaic " optimizer.

BlakeW39

And replace with what?

With the lack of an heir apparent, the best expectation is another Business Process Optimizer. Anyone "creative" will be met with less excitement by The Street than a "formulaic " optimizer.

definitely. it seems unlikely the company will be helmed by anyone decent any time soon. parks fans will sadly have to suck it up and go less often (Epic Universe anyone?)

maybe the person after the next guy will be okay. if Disney goes down the toilet enough

Andrew25

definitely. it seems unlikely the company will be helmed by anyone decent any time soon. parks fans will sadly have to suck it up and go less often (Epic Universe anyone?)

maybe the person after the next guy will be okay. if Disney goes down the toilet enough

Adam Silver is pretty good at scripting the NBA and expanding the business.

Tha Realest

And replace with what?

It’s clear no one has been groomed or fast tracked as a successor, even though that was an express reason he was brought back as a caretaker CEO.

Ask yourself - why is that?

Jrb1979

FYI bookings are WAY down at WDW and UOR through Labor Day.
I kinda of figured that with the discounts they are offering. I just got an email from Universal today offering 35% off Portofino this summer. What doesn't add up is seeing different reports of travel up over the holiday weekend and for this summer. Yet WDW UOR are down. It's not a theme park thing as from all reports I've seen a lot of regional parks project to have busy summers.

ToTBellHop

I kinda of figured that with the discounts they are offering. I just got an email from Universal today offering 35% off Portofino this summer. What doesn't add up is seeing different reports of travel up over the holiday weekend and for this summer. Yet WDW UOR are down. It's not a theme park thing as from all reports I've seen a lot of regional parks project to have busy summers.
Well, WDW had a lot of visitors last summer who had not gone in 3 years due to COVID. They were rewarded with heat, downpours, and stressful, pricey vacation planning. It was a squandered opportunity for Disney to rebuild their vacation cult.

So this year, those who can vacation are going elsewhere. The increase in cruise fares, for example, is striking. Even from Florida. So it’s not the heat and rain keeping people away from Central Florida. They’ll sail on Wonder of the Seas but not “it’s a small world.”

And yet Disney slow-walks updates to G+. Foolish.

Unfortunately for UOR, they really do need people to go to WDW if they want them at UOR as well.

Good summer if you already have a WDW trip booked, though!

flyakite

…like before 1988?

They opened about a dozen in the next 6 years 😎
Lol.....yes I guess I have dated myself. :rolleyes: Since my college years approximately 16 additional resorts built, not including some DVC add-ons. Regardless of the present cause(s), I personally am enjoying this anomaly.

Ayla

How's the holiday season looking? Or are we too early to be even looking at that yet?
I don't think it's too early. For the vast majority of people who aren't local, WDW is a vacation that is planned and saved for, not a spur of the moment decision. I think I was in a very small minority who would book and plan a trip with less than a month's notice.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I was shocked at how dead Magic Kingdom was on both Saturday and Sunday. It was busy but not what I recall Memorial Day being like in the few years I was a local. Unfortunately, I didn't get to DHS Friday night due to travel delays and I didn't set foot in Epcot or DAK. SeaWorld was also pretty light on crowds, despite it being the first night of Summer Spectacular (aka Electric Ocean in everything but name) and the opening of Pipeline. The weather was also absolutely amazing. It was the perfect time to be in Orlando.

Disstevefan1

Went to Epcot yesterday out of the blue. I’m a local and an annual Passholder. Didn’t want to wait until 2pm so went ahead a got a reservation. Surprised to see that it was a bonus reservation. Attendance was moderate and comfortable. No one running me into others due to the phone watching or looking backwards while walking. Short kiosk lines and got into the Hacienda without reservation (I don’t know if that is normal though). I like this crowd level. Reminds me of the days before the numerous hotels on property.
EXCELLENT NEWS!

Maybe Yogi was right all along - "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded." - Yogi Berra

flyerjab

We have been on property since Saturday. For a holiday weekend it is not crowded at all. Maybe Iger and Co. are finally managing to cross that magic money line where potential guests are so put off by the high prices and additional cost due to Genie+ that people are finally saying “screw it, this is getting ridiculous!” I wouldn’t blame some people of they were. We are spending more time at the resort and Disney Springs. Genie+ costs is an extra $100/day, which is ridiculous.

Disstevefan1

We have been on property since Saturday. For a holiday weekend it is not crowded at all. Maybe Iger and Co. are finally managing to cross that magic money line where potential guests are so put off by the high prices and additional cost due to Genie+ that people are finally saying “screw it, this is getting ridiculous!” I wouldn’t blame some people of they were. We are spending more time at the resort and Disney Springs. Genie+ costs is an extra $100/day, which is ridiculous.
Agreed. It's possible folks are visiting less frequently, and we know they are spending more when they are visiting.

IF Disney can get as much (OR MORE) money from less folks, that's a win (for both the Disney and the guests?)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom