Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Lilofan

I just checked and according to google the average annual household income is 71k.

That not enough to survive on let alone go to Disney.

According to google I’m in the top 1%, that really surprised me since I don’t make that much, and I scoff at these prices.

So who the heck is taking these trips ?
USA is a slaves to debt society.

DisneyHead123

This is purely anecdotal, but of the few people I know who have decided to halt Disney trips for awhile, lackluster park visits were the reason. One person mentioned loss of FastPass and Genie not working well with the big crowds, another said transportation with the bus system was becoming too slow and cumbersome, another mentioned crowds. All said they’ll go back at some point but don’t feel like Disney is worth it at this exact moment.

No idea if that’s representative at all and I do think a myriad of reasons come into play, but did find that interesting. I don’t know if I’d be excited about going back either if not for my son (he recently reached a point where he finally seems to be outgrowing the endless meltdowns that ensued whenever we traveled, and will actually go on some rides). But I do think that if something is an amazing experience for people, they’re more likely to “find a way”. Shorter trip, less expensive hotel, no character meals, etc. If the experience is a bit meh then suddenly it’s easier to rationalize various reasons not to go and let them take precedence.

DopeyRunner

I mean, he's supposed to exit in under two years anyway.
We know he will bail if another bad economic environment hits, i.e. another black swan event. His image and bonus are what’s most important, so if we can just watch the Disney crowds (summit) plummet a bit more, and D+ continues to drag, he may resign for “other reasons”…

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I've been told that travel agencies are seeing ~20-25% drops in WDW volume. And that's carrying over to Universal Orlando, so it's not just WDW.

I would bet a lot of money that that number is accurate, based on what we're seeing with our site. I'm almost certain it's true.

DCL passenger volume at Port Canaveral is up YOY, so that's a bright spot. And DLR hasn't dropped as much.

For WDW, it's a combination of two things, according to Disney's own internal surveys:
  • Young families are priced out
  • Some of the "Over 50" demographic is put off by the Disney/DeSantis thing

A 25% drop in booking volume seems huge. And if it’s showing in the travel agents what is the drop off Disney is seeing directly? It would assume most people book direct and not with an agent.

DopeyRunner

Definitely interesting times

I feel like Disney took the hard core fans for granted, figuring they would come no matter what - and they are right to some extent - and focused on attracting new guests / once in a lifetime guests, and maximizing th $ they got from their 1 trip

But now that group is harder to attract/turned off and their bread and butter guests are feeling a bit disenfranchised. Whil never cheap it used to be fairly easy to book/execute a family trip to WDW - and felt like you got good value for your $, and now doesn't feel like it
I was discussing this with my wife this morning. The hard-core fans (us included) will continue to go, but I suspect at a lower frequency (we used to go 2-3 times a year, and even got married back in December). We’re going in Nov. for wine and dine race weekend, but outside of race weekends, we don’t plan on going. I would imagine some other fans feel this way too, and while it’s true the DHFs don’t spend as much per trip compared to the once in a few years crowd, our overall $ value is certainly much higher. I wouldn’t be surprised if the actual KPI leadership cares about is/was $/family-trip.

SamusAranX

I've been told that travel agencies are seeing ~20-25% drops in WDW volume. And that's carrying over to Universal Orlando, so it's not just WDW.

I would bet a lot of money that that number is accurate, based on what we're seeing with our site. I'm almost certain it's true.

DCL passenger volume at Port Canaveral is up YOY, so that's a bright spot. And DLR hasn't dropped as much.

For WDW, it's a combination of two things, according to Disney's own internal surveys:
For DCL they actually got it right….they charge premium market rates but EVERY person I’ve met or friend I’ve had who’s done DC said it’s head and shoulders above the competition and their favorite CL….if only Disney would do this with the parks. If you’re gonna charge a higher rate, make the experience match.

mightynine

Ding ding ding. This, to me, is the biggest problem. That's your next generation of regular visitors right there and leadership only cared about goosing quarterly numbers rather than trying to give a good experience that would lead them to go back home and talk about how great of a time they had.

And then the people that can (maybe?) afford it come back and say it's too complicated, don't bother.

Also, doesn't surprise me UO would feel the spillover from WDW. IMO, it's still dependent on getting people visiting both while in Orlando, not planning an Orlando trip exclusively for UO.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

We need folks who actually are in the parks daily to report back and tell us if they see or feel if the crowds are less and the guest experience is better.

Perhaps some numbers are down but are the queues are still packed and is it true the only way to get on an attraction is in the last hour the park is open?

hopemax

These are some long term problems. Eventually the reason why the current "Over 50" crowd stops showing up won't be politics that may be temporary, but because they are no longer traveling / living. If Disney isn't replacing them, naturally, with younger families that's a demographic time bomb.

Also probably means that Disney will be loathe to actually meaningfully increase capacity. More gimmicks until the Boomers are removed from the calculations.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The answer to the first question is no. They don’t understand their customer and guest experience(s) planning and doing a parks vacation anymore.

How many of those decisions makers have ever had to make park reservations, dining reservations, genie+ purchases, 7am ILL and LL selections, rope drop sprints, etc etc etc etc etc
I’ve been warning about this for a decade

And I hate myself for it 🙄

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just checked and according to google the average annual household income is 71k.

That not enough to survive on let alone go to Disney.

According to google I’m in the top 1%, that really surprised me since I don’t make that much, and I scoff at these prices.

So who the heck is taking these trips ?
Most of the “under” dragging that Nineveh down were never going anyway

But they outpriced themselves. Really did an awful just of preparing for a downturn…because Bob doesn’t believe he has to.

It’s not negligence…it’s malfeasance.

TheMaxRebo

For DCL they actually got it right….they charge premium market rates but EVERY person I’ve met or friend I’ve had who’s done DC said it’s head and shoulders above the competition and their favorite CL….if only Disney would do this with the parks. If you’re gonna charge a higher rate, make the experience match.

DCL is such an interesting situation as a high % of their cruisers say if it wasn't for DCL they wouldn't cruise

I feel like that used to be a high % of WDW's guests but now more are finding alternatives

Will also be interesting to see how things progress as Royal Caribbean is clearly targeting Families/the DCL client base with their new ships - and I know DCL probably ced us out and we did Royal and really liked it and are converted

seabreezept813

This is purely anecdotal, but of the few people I know who have decided to halt Disney trips for awhile, lackluster park visits were the reason. One person mentioned loss of FastPass and Genie not working well with the big crowds, another said transportation with the bus system was becoming too slow and cumbersome, another mentioned crowds. All said they’ll go back at some point but don’t feel like Disney is worth it at this exact moment.

No idea if that’s representative at all and I do think a myriad of reasons come into play, but did find that interesting. I don’t know if I’d be excited about going back either if not for my son (he recently reached a point where he finally seems to be outgrowing the endless meltdowns that ensued whenever we traveled, and will actually go on some rides). But I do think that if something is an amazing experience for people, they’re more likely to “find a way”. Shorter trip, less expensive hotel, no character meals, etc. If the experience is a bit meh then suddenly it’s easier to rationalize various reasons not to go and let them take precedence.
There's definitely something to be said for the last part that when the experience is excellent you make more of an effort to make it work. When we went last summer, my husband was like are we really going to go again with a 1 year old, and on the trip he goes okay you're right this is amazing all of our girls 18, 4, and 1 at the time were having a blast. So it didn't take much convincing to get him to okay going this summer. But our trip was amazing partly due to the hours of time I spent planning it, which is fun for me. The cost is ridiculous, but we are pretty frugal and careful in other areas of our budget.

Ayla

These are some long term problems. Eventually the reason why the current "Over 50" crowd stops showing up won't be politics that may be temporary, but because they are no longer traveling / living. If Disney isn't replacing them, naturally, with younger families that's a demographic time bomb.

Also probably means that Disney will be loathe to actually meaningfully increase capacity. More gimmicks until the Boomers are removed from the calculations.
Younger baby boomers are nearing 70, so it won't be long before they're removed from the calculations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom