Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

LittleBuford

Euro is the best single “castle” park

So I don’t need 15,000 college kids hung over to make it “pop”
It’s a matter of opinion, of course; I’m just offering mine.

A number of years ago, I complained to several Disneyland Paris CMs about guests who were smoking where they weren't allowed to. Most of them responded with absolute indifference, which sums up the kind of “unmagical” attitude I’m talking about. To be fair, I’ve also had wonderful interactions there, though it’s telling that when I went to Guest Relations to pay someone a Cast Compliment during my last visit, they responded with considerable annoyance at the extra paperwork I was creating for them.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

The bigger issue for Disneyland Paris (at least for me) is that if I'm flying overnight to get to Europe, there are far, far too many other things I want to see/experience over visiting a theme park, despite DLP looking wonderful.
It is a nice add-on to a larger trip but should not, in my opinion, be a destination in its own right for those who haven’t already explored Europe.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s a matter of opinion, of course; I’m just offering mine.

A number of years ago, I complained to several Disneyland Paris CMs about guests who were smoking. Most of them responded with absolute indifference, which sums up the kind of “unmagical” attitude I’m talking about. To be fair, I’ve also had wonderful interactions there, though it’s telling that when I went to Guest Relations to pay someone a Cast Compliment during my last visit, they responded with considerable annoyance at the extra paperwork I was creating for them.
…you know it’s in France, right?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The bigger issue for Disneyland Paris (at least for me) is that if I'm flying overnight to get to Europe, there are far, far too many other things I want to see/experience over visiting a theme park, despite DLP looking wonderful.
Visiting DLP is a great gateway to doing the many other things. You simply cannot do it all in one trip, you need multiple trips (unless you're independently wealthy and can afford to bounce around France and/or other countries in the EU for a month or more at at time). We did DLP with a day trip into Paris, but you can easily spend 2 weeks doing things just in and around France.

UNCgolf

It is a nice add-on to a larger trip but should not, in my opinion, be a destination in its own right for those who haven’t already explored Europe.

I've been in Paris for just under a week, and think I'd need to spend at least 2-3 more weeks there before DLP would enter the picture (especially when factoring in things that can be done as day trips outside of Paris itself).

And that's solely talking about Paris and the immediate surrounds, not the whole of France.

davis_unoxx

Disneyland Paris can’t compare to the American parks in terms of “feel”. It’s beautiful and has many wonderful things to experience, but it lacks that special quality that American CMs are able to impart.
Anaheim CMs unfortunately are lacking lately, WDW ones much better overall no grouping. Saying this as someone who was a DLR CM until two months ago, it’s a huge problem at DLR last couple years in parks.

JoeCamel

Anaheim CMs unfortunately are lacking lately, WDW ones much better overall no grouping. Saying this as someone who was a DLR CM until two months ago, it’s a huge problem at DLR last couple years in parks.
Do you think it is the onslaught of increasing guest counts and little backup from management that is killing the dedication to customer service they are known for?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That was my point: the same level of customer service, which to me is part of the Disney experience, isn't to be found in Europe (the UK included).
Disney decided to move away from more experienced, tenured staff to a cheaper, more disposable staff starting in 1994. It was a conscious decision.

Fans make the mistake every day of thinking that the price directly determines the quality of the staff. It does not.

Particularly in Orlando.

davis_unoxx

Do you think it is the onslaught of increasing guest counts and little backup from management that is killing the dedication to customer service they are known for?
Honestly in some areas there’s too many managers in charge, and some of them clash with each other their ideas so that is a problem. Where I worked was never that busy, and we were paid almost $30 an hour and still had a huge issue with cast grouping and not doing their job.

Lilofan

What's the feedback from management when cast went to them with these concerns?

LittleBuford

Disney decided to move away from more experienced, tenured staff to a cheaper, more disposable staff starting in 1994. It was a conscious decision.

Fans make the mistake every day of thinking that the price directly determines the quality of the staff. It does not.

Particularly in Orlando.
I’m not sure how this relates to my point, which is that today’s American CMs create a better mood (in my opinion, at least) than their European counterparts.

LittleBuford

I’ve generally had great experiences with CMs on both coasts in recent years. I’m sorry to hear that hasn’t been the case for you.

AEfx

Back in the day we rely on word of mouth or ie Fodors travel guide. Now info is your fingertips on any info you want.
It is...but it isn't. Or at least the circumstances have changed quite a bit. And it's not just because of the internet - I mean, the internet has been pretty widely available for a quarter century now. Most people have even have had smartphones for well over a decade. A wide variety of things have changed, but two things have primarily happened.

First, there is an absolute glut of "information" out there from sources who are giving you "tips" that really are to drive you to spend more money (Disney's own sites, their blogs, as well as all the amateur "trip planners" out there on social media, and not even to mention the "influencers").

Second, starting with FP+ and then all the horrors new "benefits" that have come since, as well as the restrictions - there really aren't many "tips" to give any more. "Spend all day on your phone, and play the lottery - if you pay more, you can win even easier". Basically, just try to figure out all the convoluted systems that Disney tells you about on your website and plan to be spending a lot of time on your phone.

Besides all that, when you start looking at how things have cut back, all the further homogenization of what's left, and the lack of overall development in many of the parks, there really isn't much left to say to folks these days but, "Good luck".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom