Is ABC Killing Walt Disney's Dream??

Cliff

Original Poster
Is it just me, or does it seem to anyone that ABC is draining the lifeblood out of Walt Disney's dream.

ABC is in deep financial trouble right now. Meanwhile, Disney keeps sinking profits that come from the "Disney" brand into ABC to try and prop it up and keep it alive.

I believe that money made from the "Disney" brand should STAY within the "Disney" brand and that side of the company. It should NOT cross over to ABC. If ABC can't survive on it's own merrit, it needs to be sold.

Could you imagine how nice the parks would be today if the profits they generated were invested BACK into the parks?

Instead, the "Disney" brand is being forced to lug around this GIANT dying TV company on it's back. This gorilla weighs a TON and is really hurting Disney.

Everything Walt built, had something "magical" to it. Where is the "magic" in anything ABC? (I don't mind ESPN so much. At least it carries it's own weight and it not a real burden.)

The "Disney" brand is a VERY strong one. But this name has been leveraged far too much and spread too thin in recent years. The brand is NOT all powerfull and indestructable. (Some executive board members seem to throw it around like it is.)

I say cut the dead weight and let the company RUN agian. I'm sick and tired of seeing it "crawl" for no reason. ( executive greed?? )

CT : - )

Peter Jennings should end every nightly news broadcast with: "Thank you Disney park goers for making my paychecks possible."

:brick:

wed050499

Hey everyone,

In reply, I would have to say that I do believe I am one of the few people that think ABC was a good purchase for Disney and continues to be. The history between the two companies has been very long in terms of corporate relationships. Walt's dream was broadcast to the people of the United States through ABC and it was ABC that allowed one of his largest dreams come true. Disneyland. I for one believe it is a good thing to have the free marketing ability and broadcasting power to reach out to America.

Just a thought though,
Brian

KathyG/poohbear

I just want to see the Disney Corp successful again so maybe all the cast members will be cast members and not employees and the WDW can be more magical again.

JLW11Hi

Television was one of Walt's favorite ways of getting across to the public. It worked on so many levels back in the day, with hit shows like MMC, Zorro, Disneyland, etc. Now that Disney has control over one of the 3 "big networks", they just need to learn to use it wisely. Whether that wil happen or not, I dont know. If they did improve on their programing, it would be awesome, in my opinion. To me, Disney is more than just the parks. Television and movies shoudl remain a part of the Disney company, they just need to make TV one of their strengths, rather than one of their weaknesses.

pheneix

ABC had so much potential...

It could have been an outlet for a to introduce new shows to the masses...

It could have been a way for a company to take synergy to a whole new level by advertising their theme and/or amusement parks...

It could have been a huge profit-churning machine to fuel theme park expansion for that company....

And finally, it could have been an outlet for aspiring young writers and directors to create original and exciting TV shows that would have led the media world down a bright new path...

But alas, Eisner had to buy it, and like Eisner has done with so many great things that had potential, he dismantled it and molded it into a bizarre form of yuppie entertainment that ended up appealing to no one.

ABC is now the worst performing major broadcast network in America, and is being eclipsed by cable stations. They now have no way to promote any new and exciting programming, because no one watches their station anymore. They no longer have an outlet for free promotion for their parks because no one cares about watching their pitiful N'Sync concerts from Epcot anymore. They now don't have a profit churning machine to fuel expansion, but rather a white elephant that is $ucking the life out of it's parent company.

ABC had so much potential, but it's over now. Disney would be wise to find a good banker and dump ABC* while they still have the chance. Because if ABC continues to be a part of Disney, it WILL take them out painfully.

* While they're at it, they can also dump ABC Family and that freak who slanders gay people in the name of his own demented version of Christianity (don't freak out everyone, I'm a Christian and believe that Jesus is the son of God, but I've got to call it like I see it). They've become the laughing stock of Hollywood since taking on that sinking ship.

[Note to administrator] Why is the word "s u c k i n g" censored?

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by pheneix
* While they're at it, they can also dump ABC Family and that freak who slanders gay people in the name of his own demented version of Christianity (don't freak out everyone, I'm a Christian and believe that Jesus is the son of God, but I've got to call it like I see it). They've become the laughing stock of Hollywood since taking on that sinking ship.

[Note to administrator] Why is the word "s u c k i n g" censored?

what one guy are you talking about? I dont watch ABC Family (except for Who's Line, the one kick a$$ show ABC has!)

pheneix

I can't remember his name exactly, I think it was Jerry Falwell. Anyway, he is/was the ring leader of this insane campaign against gay people, and even went to the lengths of blaming Sept. 11th on them. It is actually very creepy.

There was also a group using guerilla tactics during Gay Days last year to catch "sins" on video. One particular case had them sneaking in video cameras to a Pleasure Island nightclub. From what I recall they were connected to him, but I'm not sure.

Bagheera

You're talking about Pat Robertson, host of The 700 Club. Remember, the Family Channel started life as the Christian Broadcast Network (CBN), funded by Pat and his organization. Then, they changed the name to The Family Channel, in hopes of increasing the audience. Next, TFC was sold to Fox and Haim Saban and renamed the Fox Family Channel. Part of the terms of the sale were that Pat got to keep his show. When Fox and Saban (owner of those Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, which were part of the deal) sold FFC to Disney to become the ABC Family Channel, Pat came along as part of the deal because of the terms of his deal with Fox and Saban. Disney can't get rid of Robertson without his agreement, and he'd much rather have the guaranteed media outlet for his rantings. Therefore, Robertson and The 700 Club will be on ABC Family for as long as he wants. Sux, I know, but Disney can't do thing one about it.

Cliff

Original Poster
I guess looking back now, It might not have been a bad idea at the time. The company was doing VERY well and it DID seem like a feather in their cap. ( although a strange one)

But now I think the company needs to get back to it's "roots". It needs to protect it's core business. That being anything with Walt's last name on it.

It seems to me that Walt had a very carefully crafted formula for success. I think Disney now has strayed outside of that too far, led by executives that didn't truely understand it.

OK here is a Walt quote that I am really going to mangle;

"Build things that the people really what ,....NOT things YOU want them to have" ( sorry Walt )

I'm tired of seeing the Disney name suffer over ABC.

CT :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:

Merlin

Account Suspended
Back when Disney first purchased ABC, I remember I was NOT happy about it. And what I feared is precisely what happened...They have oversaturated the market with the Disney brand. Seeing the network as an opportunity to build synergy between itself and other parts of the company was also a mistake in my opinion. Now, if a character on an ABC show talks about going to Disney park or seeing a Disney movie (or having a Disney plush toy in the background somewhere), seems really transparent and loses credibility for the show and for Disney. Likewise, it is a little annoying to visit MGM in Florida and the Hollywood section of DCA and have ABC crammed down your throat.

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by Bagheera
You're talking about Pat Robertson, host of The 700 Club. Remember, the Family Channel started life as the Christian Broadcast Network (CBN), funded by Pat and his organization. Then, they changed the name to The Family Channel, in hopes of increasing the audience. Next, TFC was sold to Fox and Haim Saban and renamed the Fox Family Channel. Part of the terms of the sale were that Pat got to keep his show. When Fox and Saban (owner of those Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, which were part of the deal) sold FFC to Disney to become the ABC Family Channel, Pat came along as part of the deal because of the terms of his deal with Fox and Saban. Disney can't get rid of Robertson without his agreement, and he'd much rather have the guaranteed media outlet for his rantings. Therefore, Robertson and The 700 Club will be on ABC Family for as long as he wants. Sux, I know, but Disney can't do thing one about it.

This information troubles me...

I have to take several moments on this one - it is too disturbing for me to even try to discuss on a thread :(

jrashadb

Originally posted by cymbaldiva

This information troubles me...

I have to take several moments on this one - it is too disturbing for me to even try to discuss on a thread :(

Robertson... Grrrr... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I was lucky enough to be writing editorials for my college newspaper when he made his amazingly stupid comment about 9-11. The man is an absolute moron. He's one of my least favorite people on the planet right now. Someone who considers himself a holy man should make awhole hell of a lot more sense than he does...
I ciould go on, but I'll just leave it as that.

:zipit: :zipit: :zipit:

Legacy

Isn't Robertson the jackass who a few years ago blamed the brushfires that were going on in Florida or something on Disney? That God was 'getting revenge' so to speak?

I surprisingly didn't hear about his 9-11 comments... which is probably a good thing. That would have been it for me I would still be ranting about it.......

.....anybody have a link to this?......

dizpins14

It's free advertisement for Disney and since not everyone has Disney Channel or ABC Family, ABC seems to be the one way to make sure Disney gets into homes.

RPMdfw

Originally posted by Bagheera

WOW! and I thought politics made strange bedfellows! :lol:

Cliff

Original Poster
"It's free advertisement for Disney and since not everyone has Disney Channel or ABC Family, ABC seems to be the one way to make sure Disney gets into homes."

It's not free. It's quite expensive actually.

With the amout of money they lose on ABC, they could buy lots of advertising on ANY top ten rated show on NBC or CBS and still save money for the parks.

It's just not worth it.

CT : - )

dizpins14

when Lilo and Stitch came out I know Disney did not have to pay ABC to put Lilo and Stitch dancing around the ABC symbol. On another channel Disney would have to pay and arm and a leg for that kind of stuff.

pheneix

>>>On another channel Disney would have to pay and arm and a leg for that kind of stuff.<<<

Disney is paying arms, legs, and heads to keep ABC running right now.

prberk

Originally posted by JLW11Hi
Television was one of Walt's favorite ways of getting across to the public. It worked on so many levels back in the day, with hit shows like MMC, Zorro, Disneyland, etc. Now that Disney has control over one of the 3 "big networks", they just need to learn to use it wisely. Whether that wil happen or not, I dont know. If they did improve on their programing, it would be awesome, in my opinion. To me, Disney is more than just the parks. Television and movies shoudl remain a part of the Disney company, they just need to make TV one of their strengths, rather than one of their weaknesses.

I agree. I also agree with wed050499 in his first reply.

I think we need to remember, first, that the entertainment world is cyclical and ever-evolving. What is number one one year can be last the next. How many of you who are bashing Disney's management of ABC now bashed it a year or two ago when Millionaire was raking in viewers (and money, I presume)?

Recent ratings are showing strength on Tuesday nights, also. And Monday Night Football, though costly, is still a powerhouse and a place to grow.

Disney definitely has some lessons to learn, but I do not think it is in a bad marriage with ABC. I mostly think that management needs to keep things in perspective (don't overkill a hit, like Millionaire), seek out good talent, and run a steady, high-quality ship (including the news department -- another topic in itself, but still a valuable public service as well as a value to the company for both respect and for the upscale viewers that complement and add value to the otherwise mass-market fan base of entertainment marketing: i.e. selling Volvos as well as Coca-Colas).

Walt would use TV -- he was a master of it.

As for Pat Robertson, he has made some unfortunate comments that were a little unsettling, but his show (The 700 Club) is more than Pat Robertson, and I still find some of their reports useful. Give it a watch sometime and decide for yourself. Everyone on this board should know the dangers of making decisions about people and products solely based on media reports and heresay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom