iPad help

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
Hoping someone can help me with this. My mom's iPad screen shows pink, gray, and white stripes across it. I've tried turning it off and back on again. I've tried resetting it. Nothing. Does anyone know what to do or should I take it to the Apple store for service?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Hoping someone can help me with this. My mom's iPad screen shows pink, gray, and white stripes across it. I've tried turning it off and back on again. I've tried resetting it. Nothing. Does anyone know what to do or should I take it to the Apple store for service?
Yep. Sounds like hardware failure. It can happen from age, or exposure to certain conditions (heat, cold), extended exposure to direct sunlight, dropping, or sometimes faulty hardware wearing out.

Take it to apple.

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
Yep. Sounds like hardware failure. It can happen from age, or exposure to certain conditions (heat, cold), extended exposure to direct sunlight, dropping, or sometimes faulty hardware wearing out.

Take it to apple.
I did make an appointment. I doubt it was because it had been dropped. My mom said it worked fine, she left it on the table with the cover on, she took the cover off, and it's been like that ever since. When I pressed the home button it said "Siri not available." iTunes and my computer also recognized it. It's so weird and I could find NOTHING on the internet about it.

If it is a hardware failure, will they be able to repair it? Or will she need a new iPad?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I did make an appointment. I doubt it was because it had been dropped. My mom said it worked fine, she left it on the table with the cover on, she took the cover off, and it's been like that ever since. When I pressed the home button it said "Siri not available." iTunes and my computer also recognized it. It's so weird and I could find NOTHING on the internet about it.

If it is a hardware failure, will they be able to repair it? Or will she need a new iPad?
Probably a new one...however, there are services that will replace iPad screens for a few hundred dollars.

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
Anytime.

Let me know what it was after you find out from Apple, if you don't mind. I'm curious.
Absolutely. We're taking it Saturday afternoon.

My mom did remind me that we've taken it in twice before, both times because it was overheating and both times got told nothing was wrong. Wonder if this is related to that.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Absolutely. We're taking it Saturday afternoon.

My mom did remind me that we've taken it in twice before, both times because it was overheating and both times got told nothing was wrong. Wonder if this is related to that.
Could very well be. It sounds like hardware, and overheating could be a sign of faulty internal circuits heating up the chips.

If she knows when she brought it before, and has proof, I'd bring that with you to make a warranty case if they find out it is hardware.

lazyboy97o

Could very well be. It sounds like hardware, and overheating could be a sign of faulty internal circuits heating up the chips.

If she knows when she brought it before, and has proof, I'd bring that with you to make a warranty case if they find out it is hardware.
Apple's warranties typically only last for one year unless Apple Care is purchased.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Apple's warranties typically only last for one year unless Apple Care is purchased.
Yeah, I know, but if they'd taken it to Applecare before, and have proof, but the issue was misdiagnosed, it's at least worth a shot. :p

If it were my unit, I wouldn't even worry about it, and just get a new one, but, this really does sound like hardware.

StarWarsGirl

Original Poster
Anytime.

Let me know what it was after you find out from Apple, if you don't mind. I'm curious.
Well, took it in today. The "genius" took a look at it. They said that it was something wrong internally, probably just with the screen, but they weren't sure; they would have to open it entirely. They offered to replace it for $300. My mom asked for a manager. She came out and my mom explained the issue. Then we told them that we had twice brought in the iPad for overheating when it was still under the warranty. They went back and looked up the appointments in their system using the serial number. As it turns out, they never put in any notes based on the appointment or why we brought it in. So the manager said that someone on their end had dropped the ball. She called her supervisor and ended up authorizing a new iPad (still 3rd generation, but fresh out of the box) to be issued at no cost to us. So...don't know exactly what the issue was, but they made it right.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Well, took it in today. The "genius" took a look at it. They said that it was something wrong internally, probably just with the screen, but they weren't sure; they would have to open it entirely. They offered to replace it for $300. My mom asked for a manager. She came out and my mom explained the issue. Then we told them that we had twice brought in the iPad for overheating when it was still under the warranty. They went back and looked up the appointments in their system using the serial number. As it turns out, they never put in any notes based on the appointment or why we brought it in. So the manager said that someone on their end had dropped the ball. She called her supervisor and ended up authorizing a new iPad (still 3rd generation, but fresh out of the box) to be issued at no cost to us. So...don't know exactly what the issue was, but they made it right.
Excellent news! I'm glad you remembered to mention that overheating under warranty, and that they did the right thing after they dropped the ball.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I'm happy to hear they replaced it at no cost. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom