Interesting Horizons article

Goofyernmost

Well, that is one spin on it. It does make sense in many ways. Not being included in one of those brain storming sessions, I don't know, but, I do know that it is what it is and I am thankful that I don't have to make those spending vs. return decisions. One of the things with the "boards" is that they are a sounding place for all armchair quarterbacks that always seem to have a better idea. You'd think that they should be pulling down those millions per year wouldn't you?

FettFan

As mentioned in the article, New Horizons will remain DOA unless it gets corporate sponsorship.

Horizons, presented by APPLE.

copcarguyp71

As mentioned in the article, New Horizons will remain DOA unless it gets corporate sponsorship.

Horizons, presented by APPLE.

While I agree Apple would be an excellent sponsor if they were willing I would assume that would go against or in direct competition to the HP sponsorship of MS. They may even have something in their contract about non-compete issues for neighboring or alternate sponsorship's. In the corporate climate I would highly doubt it could happen....but I agree it would be great!

There are some who would say it should not matter...but I doubt they work for or have stock in HP.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I bet Green Builder Meia would sponsor Horizons. They should just replace Universe of Energy with Horizons because energy and efficiency is 75 percent of today's futureistic vishion.

Goofyernmost

I turned off when they said the building had structural issues.

I know that you know Disney inside and out, so I must ask this question. You apparently feel that this particular reason was bogus and I am curious as to how you know that and what your opinion of the entire situation, including that is.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I know that you know Disney inside and out, so I must ask this question. You apparently feel that this particular reason was bogus and I am curious as to how you know that and what your opinion of the entire situation, including that is.
I got it from the horses mouth, as they say. George McGinnis is a friend of mine, and he too was obviously worried being one of the principle designers of the pavilion that he had somehow "messed up". He was assured from those within that the building was sound.

Add to that the fact the "dangerous" building was reopened in 1996-7 for guests to ride when Test Track and Energy refurbs went behind schedule at the same time. Plus, Disney proposed retrofitting the "dangerous" building at one time into a Space pavilion.

The official reason was the building was "too small" for Mission:Space, when as you know M:S is actually smaller. The 4 bay centrifuge would have been difficult to squeeze into the Horizons building.

The real reason was TDO, and Eisner, balked at the proposed refurb cost to bring Horizons up to date with an SSE style makeover. They couldn't get a sponsor to pay either. Compaq offered to sponsor a space attraction, but it needed to be hi tech, thrilling and popular. They offered to pay all demolition costs AND pay for a new building to house a new attraction. Naturally Disney said yes. They remove a dated attraction without needing to pay for a makeover, AND get something new to market. All with someone else's money.

In a nutshell.

Goofyernmost

I got it from the horses mouth, as they say. George McGinnis is a friend of mine, and he too was obviously worried being one of the principle designers of the pavilion that he had somehow "messed up". He was assured from those within that the building was sound.

Add to that the fact the "dangerous" building was reopened in 1996-7 for guests to ride when Test Track and Energy refurbs went behind schedule at the same time. Plus, Disney proposed retrofitting the "dangerous" building at one time into a Space pavilion.

The official reason was the building was "too small" for Mission:Space, when as you know M:S is actually smaller. The 4 bay centrifuge would have been difficult to squeeze into the Horizons building.

The real reason was TDO, and Eisner, balked at the proposed refurb cost to bring Horizons up to date with an SSE style makeover. They couldn't get a sponsor to pay either. Compaq offered to sponsor a space attraction, but it needed to be hi tech, thrilling and popular. They offered to pay all demolition costs AND pay for a new building to house a new attraction. Naturally Disney said yes. They remove a dated attraction without needing to pay for a makeover, AND get something new to market. All with someone else's money.

In a nutshell.

Thanks for the answer, I appreciate it. :D

copcarguyp71

In a nutshell.

Good lord...what I wouldn't give to have a USB port installed in the back of your head and download to my hearts content!!!

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I would love to see this but no one is 'screaming' for Horizons except for us.

I'm a Horizons lover and there are many others. Unfortunately, many have the exact opposite opinion. Last weekend, I took a trip to visit all my old HS buddies (my Christmas present). One of them recently went theme parking with his family and he went on a rant about what a piece of crap Horizons was. I just got up and grabbed a beer. It's called avoidance and it works well in some situations. lol

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I think that EPCOT should add an old school 15 minute educational dark ride with some Disney whimsy. It's been a while since they've thrown that portion of their fan base a bone. It would keep us quiet and satisfied for a while (7.89 years to be precise), assuming it's well done.

JonPlsek

Great to see that post on Horizons getting some play. I had heard some grumblings about the building/sinkhole story being bogus, but sometimes it's hard to separate "conspiracy" from "theory," especially with all the passion among true Disney fans. I'm glad to find someone (marni1971) with an explanation that connects the dots. The loss of Horizons is sad, but at least understanding the how and the why helps see things from the decision makers' point of view.

George Lucas on a Bench

The second paragraph where he recollects enjoying the ride, forgetting it, confusing it with other rides and then remembering it through home videos is spot on for me as well. I confused elements of Horizons, World of Motion, Delta Dreamflight, Imagination, a ride at Story Land New Hampshire called Voyage to the Moon (????) and others. This is what happens when you first visit as a child in the early 90s and everything is suddenly changed around.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
The second paragraph where he recollects enjoying the ride, forgetting it, confusing it with other rides and then remembering it through home videos is spot on for me as well. I confused elements of Horizons, World of Motion, Delta Dreamflight, Imagination, a ride at Story Land New Hampshire called Voyage to the Moon (????) and others. This is what happens when you first visit as a child in the early 90s and everything is suddenly changed around.
You should have went to Santas Village down he road, that place only keeps getting better and better.

JonPlsek

Yes! I wrapped up memories of Horizons in those exact rides! (minus the Story Land attraction—never been there) It's amazing how long lost Epcot has managed to sneak its way into so many vague parts of childhood. Clearly a place that really meant something to alot of kids from that time.

EOD K9

If it makes any of you feel better, when I hit Lotto, I will become a sponsor and have WDI dust of the blueprints and get to work. I'll tell Iger there will be no out of pocket costs for the build. I will also throw in a one day/one park pass for those regulars I see on here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom