Interesting DCL Survey

Mkmommy

My take on the survey is they are finding more people are holding out for last minthte discounts and they are looking for ways to encourage people to book . Also ways to get more people in Palo's and at what price point can they push it.

sweetpee_1993

Options A & B both pretty much exist now. I will say this: I will not pay full rack rate for another Disney cruise because I think they're priced somewhat high and I don't feel I need to. I will use an onboard booking for a discount or I'll book a special fare. If neither of those are doable, there's other cruise lines eager to have my business. Disney doesn't have the corner on excellent service or beautiful ships. I'm okay with going elsewhere.

I'm a bit torn on the teenagers. I think those of us with teens probably have a different perspective on this part. My oldest will be 18 in just a few weeks so I'm not worried about him. But, my youngest is 16 & has roughly 21 months to go before he's 18. One thing I liked about Royal Caribbean over Disney is that the adult deck areas were available to 16+. Fine restaurants were fine for him to join us before a certain hour as previously mentioned. It was nice to have the opportunity to enjoy these things together as a family. That said, wanna know how often my teenagers or their cousins & friends hung out at the adult deck space???? Zero! They were off doing fun active teenager stuff, not snores-ville grown-up stuff. And regardless of age, if anyone disrupts the vibe at Quiet Cove CMs absolutely should be proactive in asking security to right the situation. Yes? Maybe 16-17 yro's could be required to be accompanied by an adult over 21. Same for Palo & Remy. Maybe from 5-7 at Palo dinner is okay for Vibe age kids when accompanied by an adult over 21. Maybe an effort is made to seat families with teens towards the front then couples/adults towards the back creating a little separation. Remy, maybe set aside an evening on cruises 7+ nights for teens to be allowed. Brunch? On cruises 7+ nights allot 1 day. Make that day a port day! It might entice families to stay onboard and spend $$ with the ship vs. the port. There's ways to compromise without killing the adult atmosphere. I firmly believe in the idea that children learn how to handle things by experience. As toddlers we took ours to restaurants such as Applebee's or Outback as teaching experiences. As teens it'd be awesome to take them to finer meals to teach them appreciation & etiquette. You know? Disney can always reserve the right to ask inappropriate people who can't handle it, regardless of age, to leave.

DISNEY FANTASY

Original Poster
Options A & B both pretty much exist now. I will say this: I will not pay full rack rate for another Disney cruise because I think they're priced somewhat high and I don't feel I need to. I will use an onboard booking for a discount or I'll book a special fare. If neither of those are doable, there's other cruise lines eager to have my business. Disney doesn't have the corner on excellent service or beautiful ships. I'm okay with going elsewhere.

I'm a bit torn on the teenagers. I think those of us with teens probably have a different perspective on this part. My oldest will be 18 in just a few weeks so I'm not worried about him. But, my youngest is 16 & has roughly 21 months to go before he's 18. One thing I liked about Royal Caribbean over Disney is that the adult deck areas were available to 16+. Fine restaurants were fine for him to join us before a certain hour as previously mentioned. It was nice to have the opportunity to enjoy these things together as a family. That said, wanna know how often my teenagers or their cousins & friends hung out at the adult deck space???? Zero! They were off doing fun active teenager stuff, not snores-ville grown-up stuff. And regardless of age, if anyone disrupts the vibe at Quiet Cove CMs absolutely should be proactive in asking security to right the situation. Yes? Maybe 16-17 yro's could be required to be accompanied by an adult over 21. Same for Palo & Remy. Maybe from 5-7 at Palo dinner is okay for Vibe age kids when accompanied by an adult over 21. Maybe an effort is made to seat families with teens towards the front then couples/adults towards the back creating a little separation. Remy, maybe set aside an evening on cruises 7+ nights for teens to be allowed. Brunch? On cruises 7+ nights allot 1 day. Make that day a port day! It might entice families to stay onboard and spend $$ with the ship vs. the port. There's ways to compromise without killing the adult atmosphere. I firmly believe in the idea that children learn how to handle things by experience. As toddlers we took ours to restaurants such as Applebee's or Outback as teaching experiences. As teens it'd be awesome to take them to finer meals to teach them appreciation & etiquette. You know? Disney can always reserve the right to ask inappropriate people who can't handle it, regardless of age, to leave.
Agree!

Nmoody1

As an adult who cruises without kids - I dont have a problem with 16 year olds at the pool.... I think younger than that they shouldnt be allowed at the adult pool. I think the same for dining also - 16 years+ if accompanied by an adult in PALO - keep remy as adult exclusive - it needs to be special.... its a lovely atmosphere and a quiet dining place.

However, maybe if they introduced a remy or palo brunch on port days then allow 14 year plus in.... but dont take away from adults who already find it hard enough to book.... these are big ships with endless opportunities for children, tweens and teens... I think some things should be kept for the adults.

As for dress codes - keep them at Remy and Palo. Its already taken away from the ambience to have people rocking up to dinner in thier casual attire... to do that to these beautiful restaurants would be a shame. Not that it REALLY matters, its more of a NICE thing, creating an exclusive experience. If you cant handle dressing up just for dinner, there are some great pizzas and burgers available for you on the upper deck. Again, I understand kids not wanting to dress for dinner, but there is no excuse for grown adults.

Just my personal thoughts.

Ralphlaw

Sometimes surveys like this are just "Let's shoot some ideas out over the bow" exercises. If the responses are positive, but not overwhelmingly agreed to, nothing changes. If some crazy ideas are overwhelmingly popular on the survey, then perhaps changes will be considered. I don't think this survey means that changes are in the offing. I think it's just a "testing the waters" survey.

Also, I think these surveys often confirm what is already known, that things are being run pretty well right now. It gets guests thinking, and usually confirms that they're satisfied with how things are already being run.

mammaminnie

My kids are still fairly young, so adding teens to Palo and Remy wouldn't affect us for some time. That said, if they are going to do it, I like the idea of allotting 1 day per cruise (port day) for this. However, I agree with those that said keep Remy adults only. My husband and I absolutely enjoyed our dinner at Remy and a big part of that was the very quiet and intimate feel of a small adults only restaurant. There is something to be said for the romantic appeal that comes along with a restaurant only allowing in adults.

As for the pricing options, I am definitely more of an A type of girl. I like to plan plan plan, and I can't do that on last minute trips (let alone also giving away a chunk of my planning ability).

CheshireCat12

I am definitely all for advance notice on dining rotation.

I'm pretty firmly in the camp of keeping adult things adult as well. My 16 year old daughter was so sad she couldn't go to Palo with us now that her brother can, but it's something to look forward to one day.

I wouldn't be against letting teenagers in only at specific times though. Then those that wanted to avoid that time could. My only fear there is that Brunch can be hard enough to get in as is. I hate to have 14 year olds taking the spots of adults in an adult venue.
I see no reason why teenagers should not be allowed at Palo. By the time you are 14 you should know how to behave in a place like that. If your kids can't do that, don't take them. But it would be nice to keep it up to the family. At Victoria and Albert's (WDW @ GF) kids only have to be 10.

Disneyfalcon

I see no reason why teenagers should not be allowed at Palo. By the time you are 14 you should know how to behave in a place like that. If your kids can't do that, don't take them. But it would be nice to keep it up to the family. At Victoria and Albert's (WDW @ GF) kids only have to be 10.

They should know how to act, definitely. I'm still fairly torn on letting them in though. I wouldn't mind specific times for them, but availability is so hard to begin with that makes it tough. :)

wdwstateofmind

I couldn't let someone pick where my room is on a rocking boat, too many nauseating circumstances. And our cruise usually is booked as one thing and completely changes as time goes on. Option A sounds nice, I'd really like knowing where I was eating before hand so I could plan accordingly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom