Interesting article about Soarin's little brother in Vancouver

michmousefan

Original Poster
InPark magazine has an interesting interview with former WDI Senior VP Rick Rothschild about "FlyOver Canada," a new soarin'-like attraction that opened last week at Canada Place in Vancouver. As Rothschild worked on Soarin', he offers some insight on this next-gen version of the ride.

FlyOver Canada is all-digital, about twice as long as Soarin' and operates in a theater that's just a bit smaller -- the dome size pushes the limit of current digital projector technology, which might explain why Soarin' isn't digital - at least not yet. But it's a great read to learn how the attraction was planned and how technology has improved since Soarin' was shot. Digital offers a bunch of advantages including going for what sounds like some really creative shot selections.

It will be interesting to learn whether Soarin' Over The World (or whatever the "sequel" is called) wil be shot digitally or on conventional film. Obviously hoping for the former but sorta expecting the latter.

Until then... perhaps a field trip to Vancouver?

Article here:

http://www.inparkmagazine.com/rick-...ion-of-flying-attraction-with-flyover-canada/

Cosmic Commando

Please come to Toronto... please come to Toronto... please come to Toronto...

I wonder what the soundtrack is like? I think that is one of the things that really makes Soarin' stand out over similar rides.

articos

InPark magazine has an interesting interview with former WDI Senior VP Rick Rothschild about "FlyOver Canada," a new soarin'-like attraction that opened last week at Canada Place in Vancouver. As Rothschild worked on Soarin', he offers some insight on this next-gen version of the ride.

FlyOver Canada is all-digital, about twice as long as Soarin' and operates in a theater that's just a bit smaller -- the dome size pushes the limit of current digital projector technology, which might explain why Soarin' isn't digital - at least not yet. But it's a great read to learn how the attraction was planned and how technology has improved since Soarin' was shot. Digital offers a bunch of advantages including going for what sounds like some really creative shot selections.

It will be interesting to learn whether Soarin' Over The World (or whatever the "sequel" is called) wil be shot digitally or on conventional film. Obviously hoping for the former but sorta expecting the latter.

Until then... perhaps a field trip to Vancouver?

Article here:

http://www.inparkmagazine.com/rick-...ion-of-flying-attraction-with-flyover-canada/
The next iteration of Soarin' will be shot using digital.

Astro Blaster

Nice read! Wish that could be in EPCOT's Canada pavilion. I liked how the seat layout is pretty much identical to Soarin'. If I'm ever in Vancouver I'll have to check it out.

BrianLo

One of the reviews on Trip Advisor said it was 10 minutes, including pre-show. Doesn't seem worth $20 to me.

The article outlines the ride is 8 minutes and the pre-show 7.5. The actual ride being twice the length of Soarin'.

Also - damn, damn, damn I was just staying at Canada Place about 3 weeks ago! I saw the construction walls/advertisement in the plaza but didn't think much of it...

AngryEyes

The article outlines the ride is 8 minutes and the pre-show 7.5. The actual ride being twice the length of Soarin'.

Also - damn, damn, damn I was just staying at Canada Place about 3 weeks ago! I saw the construction walls/advertisement in the plaza but didn't think much of it...

I must have misread the review or more likely, the writer used confusing language ( ;) ), but that still doesn't make it worth $20 to me. Cut that price in half and maybe.

Mickey1984

Is it just me or wouldn't this video be loads better with a bit of "Cannaddddaaaaa ..... ooooooooooo Canadaaaaaa, you're a life time journey ...."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom