Ind. Jones Show Turning Into Cali.'s Ride

Sledge

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Ind. Jones Show Turning Into Cali.'s Ride?

From Mickey News.com

However, once the popularity of [Star Tours] took off, Lucas as I remember hearing it wasn’t too happy about the deal he had already made.

In a worst case scenario, this could mean that Lucas would want to pull out of all Disney parks, which would effectively shut down Star Tours and the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, as well as at least one scene from the Great Movie Ride.

However, I doubt this will happen. Disney can loose MGM rather easily if necessary, but Lucas is another story altogether. I’m pretty sure they can patch things up, if they already haven’t.

That’s good news for us especially, since it’s been rumored that the Stunt Spectacular may be replaced in the future with a version of the Indiana Jones ride in California.

I really really, really, really hope so! That ride is the only reason I will ever go back to California so if it comes to Orlando that will be scha-weet! The show is starting to get old. Hasn't it been the same since 1989? Not sure about that though. They either need to get the ride or update the show. The only part of the show that I absolutely love is the first scene, after that it's nothing Spectacular.

stitchcastle

since it’s been rumored

......And it has been for quite some time now

I'd love for this to happen though, that side of MGM needs some real fuel...fuel that won't be sufficed by a 3-shows-a-day motor stunt show

AEfx

stitchcastle said:
......And it has been for quite some time now

I'd love for this to happen though, that side of MGM needs some real fuel...fuel that won't be sufficed by a 3-shows-a-day motor stunt show
Well, that article doesn't reek of authenticity - first, I am almost positive Lucas couldn't "shut down" anything, any more than any sales of MGM or its properties effect existing rides. That means that no matter what, Star Tours, or parts of the GMR, are safe, as long as they aren't changed. However, even a major refurb could infringe, depending on how unhelpful the current owners felt like being (I'm talking about major rehab, i.e. moving entre scenes around, etc.).

I believe this is what has gone on with Star Tours - if it was up to Disney I bet the film would have changed long ago, it's Lucas I hear that doesn't want to change it unless mucho bucks is put in to change more than just the film signifigantly (i.e. digital projection systems, etc.).

As to the rumor, I think we'll know sooner rather than later. I just don't see them running two full casts and two full stunt shows in the same park. As neat as Indy is, I won't be sad when it departs - it's ancient at this point in terms of live-action shows at the parks. Has anything been running continuously for longer in a Disney park?

I'd love to have a East Coast version of the Indy ride. Then again, I also wanna see a Muppet ride. I have a feeling one of these will be the next addition to MGM after the stunt show - and it's all gonna depend on how well the new Muppet TV movie does, and if they get around to making Indy 4 before Harrison Ford is in a wheelchair. Whichever project does better/comes to fruition will likely be the next choice, and it's going to be interesting to watch for.

AEfx

MrNonacho

Premium Member
So... MGM wouldn't be allowed to run an Indiana Jones stunt show, but they could replace it with an Indiana Jones ride? :hammer:

Atta83

I didnt hear it was going to be a ride like Cali. I heard it was going to be a roller coaster type ride where you are in a mine cart like in Tempel of Doom. Who knows though , but I did have a dream I did that stunt show last night :lol:

Coaster3001

This question came up months ago when I was at a cast update about weather Indiana Jones would close and Tom Wolber said No. In fact Disney has been throwing around the idea of a movie stunt weekend.

Bairstow

Atta83 said:
I didnt hear it was going to be a ride like Cali. I heard it was going to be a roller coaster type ride where you are in a mine cart like in Tempel of Doom.

So it would be a clone of the cheaper French version then?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I Hope not - as well themed as it is, the DLP ride is an off the shelf single loop `bob` coaster. Ironically, it was bought to increase park capacity when the planned attraction for this area was shelved. Which was - guess what - an EMV ride...

Lynx04

Sledge said:
I will ever go back to California so if it comes to Orlando that will be scha-weet!
I see this as being the biggest con to getting the Indy Ride. It reduces Disneylands appeal for people to return Disneyland. This is the biggest reason I am against cloning rides. It may be cheaper from an R&D side, however, people will see no reason to go out of their way to visit other Disney parks because there is nothing overly unique to visit.

xfkirsten

Lynx04 said:
I see this as being the biggest con to getting the Indy Ride. It reduces Disneylands appeal for people to return Disneyland. This is the biggest reason I am against cloning rides. It may be cheaper from an R&D side, however, people will see no reason to go out of their way to visit other Disney parks because there is nothing overly unique to visit.

Bingo. My feelings exactly!

Testtrack321

If they open Indy here, why would you go to Disneyland then? We have unique rides, they have unique rides, I don't think Disney World should have every Disney ride under the sun there, it's just bad marketing sense.

m star

NO NO NO Don't get rid of the Indiana Jones Stunt Show! You can go to Disneyland to experience the ride, but once the show is gone, there is no where in the world that you can experience it.

Sledge

Account Suspended
Original Poster
But going to Disneyland is no fun when you can go to Disney World which IMO is by far the superior one. When I reread what I typed earlier it sounded like I was bashing California. I didn't mean it to sound that way, I meant there wasn't a reason for me to go to California for Disneyland when the only ride that really appeals to me now is Indiana Jones.

I agree about the whole keeping things different thing. However, I don't really care since this would be really good for the people that only go to Disney World, like me. If they were smart they won't do it but I really hope they actually do it. Maybe that is selfish of me but I think the stunt show is old now and should be changed. Since they would still need to have something in the park Indiana Jones related it would be awesome to put the ride there.

Lynx04

Sledge said:
But going to Disneyland is no fun when you can go to Disney World which IMO is by far the superior one. When I reread what I typed earlier it sounded like I was bashing California. I didn't mean it to sound that way, I meant there wasn't a reason for me to go to California for Disneyland when the only ride that really appeals to me now is Indiana Jones.

I agree about the whole keeping things different thing. However, I don't really care since this would be really good for the people that only go to Disney World, like me. If they were smart they won't do it but I really hope they actually do it. Maybe that is selfish of me but I think the stunt show is old now and should be changed. Since they would still need to have something in the park Indiana Jones related it would be awesome to put the ride there.
I didn't think you were bashing Disneyland. I thought you comments about the Indy ride being one of the only remaining unique attractive attraction is shared by many, including myself. The only reason I want to visit DL is to ride Indy, that is about it. It is not our fault or any other guests fault. It is Disney's fault for continually cloning attractions

I for one would like to see a Indy attractions placed where the stunt show is, just not a clone. I would like to see disney push the envolope a little. I think something on the side of the mummy at universal, but have them push the tech further, try to nolify the mummy's appeal. I know that EE is opening in about a 1 1/2, but it really isn't that similar to the mummy, besides being rollercoasters.

Scruffy

I don't know if this is ture or not, but when I was in the park in Dec of 2000. I was tould the new gift shop for the Indiana Jones Stunt Show would one day be the exit to a Indiana Jones ride where the stunt show was. The show has not changed at all over the years with MGM. They need to fix Star Tours and add something to Indiana Jones area.

Glasgow

I haven't been on the Indy ride at DL, but is there a way they could reuse the technology from Indy DL but theme it differently so it "seems" like a different ride? So that the two rides are different enough to keep them unique to the park, you know? Anyway, the stunt show is good but it is getting a little bit long in the tooth IMO - probably needs some sort of update.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom