In regard to Beast, Mermaid, & Indiana

YodaMan

The biggest issue right now is that shows are Studios best attempt at high-capacity and low-demand attractions. MK is finally getting a huge theater because it's a great way to add something that thousands of people can experience a day, but won't be a huge draw that will overly increase daily attendance. When Galaxy's Edge opens and packs the parks, Studios will need as many things as possible that guests will want to experience in addition to GE, but won't be the reason why people are coming to Studios. And it's then that Studios will need brand new shows the most. If they replace everything this year, those shows will be "old" by 2019 and won't nearly be as helpful in taking the pressure off GE. They really need to replace ALL of their shows just shortly before GE opens in order to gain the most from them.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
The biggest issue right now is that shows are Studios best attempt at high-capacity and low-demand attractions. MK is finally getting a huge theater because it's a great way to add something that thousands of people can experience a day, but won't be a huge draw that will overly increase daily attendance. When Galaxy's Edge opens and packs the parks, Studios will need as many things as possible that guests will want to experience in addition to GE, but won't be the reason why people are coming to Studios. And it's then that Studios will need brand new shows the most. If they replace everything this year, those shows will be "old" by 2019 and won't nearly be as helpful in taking the pressure off GE. They really need to replace ALL of their shows just shortly before GE opens in order to gain the most from them.
That's like saying Horizons wouldn't have helped take pressure off Test Track.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
But I agree with the rest of your post!!

The shows do need updates/replacements. I just cannot see that happening before 2019.

As it is, we're probably skipping DHS on our trip in September.

NoChesterHester

But I agree with the rest of your post!!

The shows do need updates/replacements. I just cannot see that happening before 2019.

As it is, we're probably skipping DHS on our trip in September.

Even with all the closures DHS still has four of the best rides in WDW.

Also, if you haven't seen the Star Wars fireworks show it is alone worth a trip to DHS.

roj2323

I don't know exact numbers for intended shelf life but it certainly isn't 25 years!!

Considering the Disneyland and Disneyland Paris versions of Beauty and the Beast lasted 3 and 4 years respectively it's beyond ridiculous that the show is still running at DHS.

Speak for yourself. as a 34 yr old Man I really quite enjoy the Beauty and the Beast show and while I certainly think it needs a few updates I fail to see why a show would need to be replaced simply because it's old especially since it still fills the theater for every performance.

Robbiem

I haven't been to WDW for many years but I can't believe that these shows are still there.

Similarly lion king at AK was only a temporary stop gap when the park opened but is now permanent - It is always sad when things outstay their welcome, rather than being remembered as a fun experience people just remember how old and creaky the performance was - theatre is supposed to be transient that is part of the appeal, keeping things fresh and giving opportunities to try new things.

It would be great to see some new shows at the studios, maybe the sunset showplace could be used for a new show allowing BATB or mermaid to be replaced.

I'd love to see something not tied to a specific movie - an updated version of the golden Mickeys show from Hong Kong or a Tinseltown version of a big band beat type show from Tokyo would fit the studios theme really well. Without a specific movie tie in anyone can enjoy it (some shows require you to know the plot of the movie to understand it).

I know there are contractual issues but if there is room for manoeuvre a big marvel arena show like the touring marvel universe show (perhaps using characters not used by uni) could be a good replacement for Indy (who really needs a land with some rides like lost river delta in Tokyo) or take things in a different direction and make it a cirque type take on superheroes like the ka show in Las Vegas.

I doubt any of the above will ever happen as focus appears to be shifting to EPCOT but it's still fun to armchair imagineer

wdrive

Speak for yourself. as a 34 yr old Man I really quite enjoy the Beauty and the Beast show and while I certainly think it needs a few updates I fail to see why a show would need to be replaced simply because it's old especially since it still fills the theater for every performance.

I feel theme park stage shows shouldn't be a permanent fixture and should be changed out every few years.
Saying that I'd be pleased if they did make a few updates to the show and spent a bit of money updating the sets/costumes.

But considering Disneyland and Disneyland Paris' shows are long long long gone and the theaters where the show took place have had multiple shows since, WDW should really have something new by now (but this seems to be a common theme at WDW), whether that's a new updated Beauty and the Beast or entirely new show doesn't hugely bother me.

UpAllNight

I feel this way to, but I am not sure why. Haunted Mansion hasn't had many major changes over the years but I happily go on it every trip and I never find my self thinking they should re-theme it every couple years.

Shows don't have good repeat factor in my opinion unless they're top quality. I feel like I can watch Lion King or Nemo any trip...along with every nighttime spectacular, but I have seen these 3 shows once and although I enjoyed them, have no desire to see them again. I think music adds to the emotional connection & desire for repeat viewings...Lion King inparticular does this very well. BatB has the music connection but the fact it is so dated overrides the desire to see it again. With rides it's a sensory overload, and the sounds & music plays a vital role in allowing us to connect.

I'd actually say I'm more likely to want to see Frozen singalong again before any of these 3.

francism

I feel this way to, but I am not sure why. Haunted Mansion hasn't had many major changes over the years but I happily go on it every trip and I never find my self thinking they should re-theme it every couple years.

I think you have regular attractions at Disney World and then you have attractions that if Disney announced they were closing them down, people would book entire trips to experience them one last time. Haunted Mansion is in the latter category while the DHS attractions mentioned would be in the former. There's only a handful of attractions outside of the Magic Kingdom that would fall into the latter category.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone here is booking a special trip in the next few weeks to see the Great Movie Ride or Ellen's Energy Adventure before they go dark for good. I have a feeling that there aren't that many people who are.

WildcatDen

It's past time to change/update these three shows.

@marni1971 @MansionButler84 @WildcatDen @Magic Feather ... any updates you can give on possible timeframes for these three? Are they going to continue to stay untouched for years to come?
Last I heard, Mermaid was slated to be first, prior to close of 2019. I heard mixed things on Indy and right now, I do not believe this will change near term. BatB, with the plan of enclosing the theater, I do not think this change will start until Mermaid is done.

Kman101

Last I heard, Mermaid was slated to be first, prior to close of 2019. I heard mixed things on Indy and right now, I do not believe this will change near term. BatB, with the plan of enclosing the theater, I do not think this change will start until Mermaid is done.

Thank you! Mermaid first makes sense. I don't consider Indy a 'problem' but an update would be nice. I'd hate to lose the presence. I don't even mind them keeping BaTB if we get something new in Mermaid and the new theater at MK has something interesting in there that's Broadway quality. Hopefully the plan is to still enclose the theater Beauty is in and upgrade the show visually.

Any idea how long they plan to run the Frozen Sing-Along? It's not really a problem either, I love the historians but I'd still have preferred more of a stage musical than a sing-along ... the park has a lot of theaters LOL

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
In regards to Beast, Mermaid, Indiana...
giphy.gif

disneylandcm

I feel theme park stage shows shouldn't be a permanent fixture and should be changed out every few years.
Saying that I'd be pleased if they did make a few updates to the show and spent a bit of money updating the sets/costumes.

But considering Disneyland and Disneyland Paris' shows are long long long gone and the theaters where the show took place have had multiple shows since, WDW should really have something new by now (but this seems to be a common theme at WDW), whether that's a new updated Beauty and the Beast or entirely new show doesn't hugely bother me.
I agree. Attractions are huge investments, and naturally feel like "permanent " additions. Shows and parades are much less expensive to produce and are not permanent constructions. They thus provide excellent and easier opportunity to freshen the Guest experience on successive visits. I am disappointed that Disney doesn't replace live shows and parades every two years or so. (Fantasmic and electrical parades being the exception, but even they could be given occasional updates.)

Sam Magic

I would be fine with BatB if they would renovate the theater and update the show to be a long or longer show. With the recent live action film performing well BatB is still a very popular IP. Update and enhance the show.

Take out Mermaid. It needs to go.

As for Indy...I would only be okay with Indy going if we were guaranteed an Indy attraction. Isn't Disney planning on rebooting Indy at some point?

Karakasa

They're theaters. They can plug in any other show they want. Disney has more than 50 animated movies, just choose one.
You misunderstand. I'm not saying it's okay. I'm saying that's likely their excuse. Why spend money coming up with a new show when the old ones "work"?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom