In-Progress Trip Report, Pt 1

sigsegv

In-Progress Trip Report

Well, I'm trying to do an in-progress trip report. We're down here from 1/11 through 1/18, staying at the Boardwalk Villas.

Let's see here... Where to begin.... We flew out of Dulles on Saturday. We had an afternoon flight that got in around 3pm and it wasn't super crowded. Luckily, we also paid the 1/2 price for a seat for our DD (12 1/2 weeks old), so we got an entire row on one side of the isle. Much more comfortable this way. I was nervous about the flight since this was DD's first one. Not a problem though, as she only cried a short little bit as we taxied to the runway. Since we wanted her eating around take-off anyway, we had the bottle out and just pugged it into her head. Beyond this, though, the flight was fine. DD slept the whole way.

Flight landed a few minutes late, we got our luggage, picked up our rental mini-van, and headed to Boardwalk Villas. Dinner was only a short time away (and DW is very worried about getting to places on-time or early), so we skipped stopping at the grocery store for extra diapers (we had about 15 in the diaper bag) and whipes.

The 2 bedroom villa (2033 and 2035) at BWV was very nice, but the hangers were missing in the coat closet and the remote for the TV in the living room was busted. We looked over the boardwalk, just over one of the stores between the "Haberdashery" and "Good Clothes for Ladies & Gents" signs.

Dinner was at 7:30 at the Flying Fish. We all had mudslides and three of us had the cream of mushroom soup. It was wonderful. Jay, our server, noticed how much my father-in-law liked the soup, so he brought over another bowl, compliments of the house. My mother-in-law and DW had the monkfish with polenta for dinner, while f-i-l had the grouper and I had the NY strip steak with polenta in place of the potatoes. The polenta was great and the steak was good. Everyone loved their dinners. For dessert, I had the banana nepolean, DW had the chocolate bombe, and m&f-i-l shared the cherry tear thing (cannot remember the name). The cherry thing was big, but good. I was disppointed with the banana thing, but DW liked it better than her bombe. Overall, dinner there was much better than when we went 2 years ago. Jay was incredibly nice. Best of all, DD slept through the whole thing.

Afterwards, we wandered the boardwalk for a little bit and headed back to the room to try to get some sleep. We had to be up early for our breakfast at the Crystal Palace and they were expecting traffice problems with the marathon going on.

More later, the babysitter's here and we're about to head out for dinner at the Cali Grill :slurp: , then the Adventurers Club after. :sohappy:

(Edit: removed "pt 1" from the subject)

-sig

Mitzer

First :slurp: to the cream of mushroom soup...one of my favorite things at the FF. Hope you enjoy your much deserved evening out and the Adventurer's Club...I just love that place. Can't wait to hear more!

Upvote 0

Maria

I´m so glad to read this trip report! Thanks!! After all that planning with the baby, I am happy to hear she is behaving better than you expected! Hope she continues that way... hehe :animwink:

Polenta? eeww sorry! hehehe... We have a joke among my friends when we had it once with some chicken and we all thought that it didn´t have any flavor, so it tasted like "nothing". So we kept saying we "ate nothing". :D I guess it is not that funny, but we just had a blast with that meal... lol :animwink:

Waiting for more! :wave:

Upvote 0

Grumpy56

So glad you are having a good time! Can't wait to hear all about the CA Grill as I will be eating there on my trip in 14 days. (Can you tell I'm starting to get excited?) Hope you continue to have fun!

Upvote 0

sigsegv

Original Poster
Sunday, 1/12

On Sunday morning, we got up early for our Crystal Palace ressies. This is a tradition for us; the first full day we spend at WDW is at the MK with breakfast at the CP. Unfortunately, DD decided to get up 1 1/2 hours earlier. :rolleyes:

Due to the WDW Marathon, we needed to provide extra time for travel to the MK. Even though we rented a minivan, the CMs were highly suggesting we take the bus to the MK to avoid all the traffice snarls. It was probably just as well. There were all kinds of detours and the TTC and its parking lots were partially closed for the run. We took the bus to the TTC (no busses were running to the MK then), then took the express monorail to the MK. Between the bus and monorail, we were sent a bit out of our way to avoid the runners too.

Once we got to the MK and activated our APs, we entered through the PS gate. Normally when we do this, Main Street is pretty empty and we can get some nice pictures with the castle in the background. Not this time, though, as runners were streaming up MS to the castle. Oh well, the race looked fun and made me long (well, a little bit), for better knees that could handle running again.

We got the the CP, checked in and waited five minutes. Soon after we were seated, the characters started coming by. DD was mostly indifferent to the characters, but loved Tigger. I think it had to do with the bright color. She we indifferent towards the others, but got kinda upset with Pooh. Oh well, I guess she deals with enough poo already. ;)

Beakfast was pretty good, but not as good as it was the other times we've been there. I was especially disappointed with the breakfast lasagna. :(

We checked out the baby center after breakfast. It's quite nice with lost of nice big changing tables. The lady working it was very friendly and helpful too. Too bad they didn't have any diapers in DD's size (2 or small). We still had a good amount in the diaper bag, but we were getting antsy about running out.

Afterward, we went on Pirates (DD slept through it), BTM (she waited outside with her grandparents), took a round trip on the WDW Railroad, getting on and off at the Frontierland station, rode the HM (again, she slept through it), and headed over to Tomorrowland. As we were about to enter the Buzz queue, DD started getting fussy. After she calmed back down, we rode the WEDway, um... TTA, and headed to Columbia Harbour House for lunch. (Is it just me or do the holes in the bread bowls seem to be getting smaller?)

After lunch, we stopped by the baby center again on the way out and then went back to BWV and all took naps for a while. The busses were running normally by this time and we didn't have to take the monorail to the TTC.

That evening, we drove over to the Grand Floridian for dinner at Narcoossee's. The waitress was inattentive to us (preferring the table next to us who was ordering multiple bottles of wine). The food was okay, even better than I last remember. DW had the scallops, her parents each had the salmon, and I had the filet. Overall, better than our last experience with Narcoossee's, but not great and not worth the price. We won't be returning.

Finally, we headed off to Goodings at the Crossroads center to get diapers, wipes, and breakfast stuff. We were quite surprised to find you cannot buy smaller sized diapers anywhere in WDW. You can buy mediums and larges, but no small ones. Nothing for ~12 pound childern. I didn't mention it in yesterday's or today's reports, but we asked all over WDW at just about every shop we passed and nobody had any.

After Goodings, we went back to BWV and headed to bed, which is what I'm going to do now. Hopefully, I'll have time to post more days tomorrow.

-sig

Upvote 0

orangefan15

Re: Sunday, 1/12

Originally posted by sigsegv
... and headed to Columbia Harbour House for lunch. (Is it just me or do the holes in the bread bowls seem to be getting smaller?)...

-sig

Yeah, we noticed this on our last trip too...still good, but not nearly as good as is used to be.

Glad to hear you're having a good trip.

Upvote 0

sigsegv

Original Poster
Thanks, all, for the encouragement. I'm going to start a new thread on this since it's no longer an "in-progress" report. :(

-sig

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom