Imagination! Being Replaced w. Dr. Doof?

misterID

Forgive me for not reading all 19 pages, but I gotta ask.... What is a Doof?

Robert_Iger.png

wdwfan22

In my opinion to make the Imagination pavilion a must see the pavilion must go a whole new direction. I think they should drop the One Little Spark, Figment, Dream Finder and Dr Nigel Channings references and create a brand new show.

dlpwishes

In my opinion to make the Imagination pavilion a must see the pavilion must go a whole new direction. I think they should drop the One Little Spark, Figment, Dream Finder and Dr Nigel Channings references and create a brand new show.

Agreed. And not with a character overlay either.
There is so much to do with 'imagination' in terms of new technology that could be showcased/utilised to make a really great, immersive attraction using that space.

If anything should feature characters in some shape or form it's the 3D theatre next door. But BOTH levels should be used for a new ride/post show

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
The original JII was practically timeless. Of all the pavilions in EPCOT Center, it seemed to make the least amount of sense to change this one.

I would like to see them retell the original story in a new way to bring it up to modern standards. I would like it to remain an OmniMover attraction as well.

And can we please do SOMETHING upstairs?! Turn the empty space within the glass pyramids into the EPCOT Preview Center to showcase new ideas for future developments. Then have future developments. (Updated Energy, SOMETHING in WOL building, new nations in WS, etc.)

montyz81

The original JII was practically timeless. Of all the pavilions in EPCOT Center, it seemed to make the least amount of sense to change this one.

I would like to see them retell the original story in a new way to bring it up to modern standards. I would like it to remain an OmniMover attraction as well.

And can we please do SOMETHING upstairs?! Turn the empty space within the glass pyramids into the EPCOT Preview Center to showcase new ideas for future developments. Then have future developments. (Updated Energy, SOMETHING in WOL building, new nations in WS, etc.)
And connect it back to the original track! Even better maybe they could use the floatingomnimover to tell the story

FrankLapidus

Having been off the forum for a few weeks, seeing this thread title sent a shiver down my spine. I've got nothing against Phineas & Ferb but for me this is a horrific idea that would pretty much kill any faith I have left in an eventual turnaround in quality at Epcot. It will be a sad day for the park when they've finally gotten rid of all traces of Figment.

ExtinctJenn

Having been off the forum for a few weeks, seeing this thread title sent a shiver down my spine. I've got nothing against Phineas & Ferb but for me this is a horrific idea that would pretty much kill any faith I have left in an eventual turnaround in quality at Epcot. It will be a sad day for the park when they've finally gotten rid of all traces of Figment.
Y'know while I agree with you (admittedly mostly because since 1983 Figment just "spoke" to me and was always a staple) there is also a part of me that remembers that Walt's vision for anything he did was always to keep moving forward with new ideas. Now that said, when it comes to "characters" that's not necessarily true obviously because Mickey isn't going anywhere but... Figment has a direct association with a ride and was created specifically for said attraction in 1982. He's not a character that exists outside that world in anyway. I would hate to see him gone but I also kind of see the point that he's been around forever and, especially now with the horrible version of the attraction guests experience, his purpose is lost. He was central to the original attraction but in this version, he was added after a poorly done refurb as a result of people screaming to bring him back. What did we get as a result? Figment overload... just flat out make you sick of the color purple by the end of the ride. The last scene is just a sparkling example of that in my opinion. It's like they said "You want Figment back? Well here ya go... now you're gonna puke purple all day after riding!"

It's one of those 50/50 things to me. I'd love to see something done with the pavillion that harkens back to the original concept of truly focusing on imagination and the great things that come from it. I'd love for that to mean that Figment is a continued part of it (where it makes sense) but I also know that without basically just recreating what they had in '82, to really do a complete overhaul of story and attraction, it probably would require a fresh look without the incuberance of the past. The only thing I'm sure of is that the current attraction is just a sad use of a fantastic pavillion that had an amazing amount of space that is now wasted.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

This is a great idea! DLR has the Blue Sky Cellar in DCA that has been show casing all the changes at DLR. They have even shown a few WDW things occasionally. This would be a great use of the Imagination Buildings top floor. I would love to visit the "Blue Sky Loft" and see the things that were coming to WDW in the future.

djlaosc

This is a great idea! DLR has the Blue Sky Cellar in DCA that has been show casing all the changes at DLR. They have even shown a few WDW things occasionally. This would be a great use of the Imagination Buildings top floor. I would love to visit the "Blue Sky Loft" and see the things that were coming to WDW in the future.

Unfortunately, things would have to be coming to WDW in the future before they could have an exhibit about it...

I guess our version is in One Man's Dream where they had the Fantasyland Expansion model - the rest of the space is filled with projects built years ago...

flavious27

I would like this idea, but not in epcot. They have held back on having any franchises in the park, and it gives the park a good vibe. I liked the living seas much more before they put nemo in it.

WDWYankee15

Y'know while I agree with you (admittedly mostly because since 1983 Figment just "spoke" to me and was always a staple) there is also a part of me that remembers that Walt's vision for anything he did was always to keep moving forward with new ideas. Now that said, when it comes to "characters" that's not necessarily true obviously because Mickey isn't going anywhere but... Figment has a direct association with a ride and was created specifically for said attraction in 1982. He's not a character that exists outside that world in anyway. I would hate to see him gone but I also kind of see the point that he's been around forever and, especially now with the horrible version of the attraction guests experience, his purpose is lost. He was central to the original attraction but in this version, he was added after a poorly done refurb as a result of people screaming to bring him back. What did we get as a result? Figment overload... just flat out make you sick of the color purple by the end of the ride. The last scene is just a sparkling example of that in my opinion. It's like they said "You want Figment back? Well here ya go... now you're gonna puke purple all day after riding!"

It's one of those 50/50 things to me. I'd love to see something done with the pavillion that harkens back to the original concept of truly focusing on imagination and the great things that come from it. I'd love for that to mean that Figment is a continued part of it (where it makes sense) but I also know that without basically just recreating what they had in '82, to really do a complete overhaul of story and attraction, it probably would require a fresh look without the incuberance of the past. The only thing I'm sure of is that the current attraction is just a sad use of a fantastic pavillion that had an amazing amount of space that is now wasted.
Amazingly put. Could not agree more. I love Figment and in 1987 when I went to the World for the first time he was the plush I brought home. I still have him and proudly shared him with my children when we returned for our family's first trip. I would hate to see a part of my childhood memories go away, but my memories are really of that original attraction and so really he is gone in a lot of ways.

I hate visiting Doctor Nigel Channing.

ExtinctJenn

Amazingly put. Could not agree more. I love Figment and in 1987 when I went to the World for the first time he was the plush I brought home. I still have him and proudly shared him with my children when we returned for our family's first trip. I would hate to see a part of my childhood memories go away, but my memories are really of that original attraction and so really he is gone in a lot of ways.

I hate visiting Doctor Nigel Channing.
Thank you and yes I agree! My family went on the current version twice last week while we were there but to be quite honest part of it was for selfish reasons (I ride it and "see" the original) as well as because I have a gut feeling it will change again (possibly before we get to do it again).

A quick side story though that really shows the lack of imagination in the imagination pavillion...

My son didn't want to ride. Not because he doesn't like it, he does, but he hates the scent sense room (the skunk smell). I was literally dragging him and he was screaming about not wanting to go. The CM outside the attraction saw and went up to him and asked him why. He told her because he doesn't like the skunk smell. She pulled him close and said she had a secret to tell him. She whispered into his ear that the skunk smell was really just the smell of burnt coffee. I laughed but it worked and he agreed to do it.

Let me tell you... she was NOT making it up. Once you know that and you ride it you don't smell skunk, you smell burnt coffee. How does this relate to the lack of imagination in the pavillion? Simple... if they had actually focused on the fact that TELLING you it's skunk when it isn't makes you SMELL it as skunk and it's because your imagination plays tricks on you... they so could've played up that aspect! They could've focused on that being your imagination and not Figment farting skunk at you. It was one of those moments where the rest of the day we just kept thinking about how there was an insanely obvious direction they could've went, even with the exact same attraction but with different dialog/story.

On a positive note... my son loved sitting there saying "mmmm coffee" the 2nd time and knowing he had the inside scoop. He also said he's going to be an Imagineer when he grows up so he can remake the attraction into things that your imagination sees/smells/etc. that aren't really there. At least my 6-year old gets it! :D

WDWYankee15

Thank you and yes I agree! My family went on the current version twice last week while we were there but to be quite honest part of it was for selfish reasons (I ride it and "see" the original) as well as because I have a gut feeling it will change again (possibly before we get to do it again).

A quick side story though that really shows the lack of imagination in the imagination pavillion...

My son didn't want to ride. Not because he doesn't like it, he does, but he hates the scent sense room (the skunk smell). I was literally dragging him and he was screaming about not wanting to go. The CM outside the attraction saw and went up to him and asked him why. He told her because he doesn't like the skunk smell. She pulled him close and said she had a secret to tell him. She whispered into his ear that the skunk smell was really just the smell of burnt coffee. I laughed but it worked and he agreed to do it.

Let me tell you... she was NOT making it up. Once you know that and you ride it you don't smell skunk, you smell burnt coffee. How does this relate to the lack of imagination in the pavillion? Simple... if they had actually focused on the fact that TELLING you it's skunk when it isn't makes you SMELL it as skunk and it's because your imagination plays tricks on you... they so could've played up that aspect! They could've focused on that being your imagination and not Figment farting skunk at you. It was one of those moments where the rest of the day we just kept thinking about how there was an insanely obvious direction they could've went, even with the exact same attraction but with different dialog/story.

On a positive note... my son loved sitting there saying "mmmm coffee" the 2nd time and knowing he had the inside scoop. He also said he's going to be an Imagineer when he grows up so he can remake the attraction into things that your imagination sees/smells/etc. that aren't really there. At least my 6-year old gets it! :D
So instead of Journey Into YOUR Imagination, they should rename it Journey Into Someone's LACK of Imagination. ... Makeover complete!:p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom