Illuminations question

ImaginationHost

Original Poster
Hey,

Got this question from a friend...Any reason why Morocco hasn't been lighting up during Illuminations? Is this just normal or is something wrong?

WDWScottieBoy

This has been discussed many times, but the reason Morocco isn't (along with Norway) was because they wanted the countries to be lit up evenly throughout the WS. Don't hold me to this, but I think that is what I remember it being. If it isn't the reason, I apologize ahead of time and hope someone can get the real answer. But I'm almost positive that's why.

VintageKid21

Answer to Question

The answer to the question for Morocco is that when they went into the WS they did not want to be the perfection that Disney is...they wanted to have flaws as every place does in the real world

imagineer99

nicholas said:
I heard something about religious reasons once. Any substance to that idea?

I heard it's religious reasons as well. Considering Morroco is the only pavillion that is officially sponsored by its host country, this does make sense.

Sharon L

Morocco does not light up because the buildings are modeled after places in Morocco that have religious significance. It is not a mistake by Disney, it is done with respect to the country's values.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The last I heard was in Illuminations (original), and Laserphonic / New World Fantasy, there were no lights on these countries since they were added after EPCOT opened - the other nine were lit or prewired from opening day.

peter11435

marni1971 said:
The last I heard was in Illuminations (original), and Laserphonic / New World Fantasy, there were no lights on these countries since they were added after EPCOT opened - the other nine were lit or prewired from opening day.
Thats not exactly true, their was no night show when Epcot opened, thus no lights on the pavilions. When the lights were installed Morracco was under construction. Lights were not installed due to religious regions. The tower is a religious symbol, and it is against their the rules of the religion to adorn such buildings with decorative lights. When Norway was later constructed they choose not to add lights to it to keep a balance of the same number of lit countries on either side of the AA. This way their is 4-AA-4, instead of 5-AA-4.

swimmom

Sharon L said:
Morocco does not light up because the buildings are modeled after places in Morocco that have religious significance. It is not a mistake by Disney, it is done with respect to the country's values.

We took an Illuminations cruise and this is exactly what the CM told us.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
peter11435 said:
Thats not exactly true, their was no night show when Epcot opened, thus no lights on the pavilions.

Thats not exactly true either. Just after EPCOT Center opened, Carnival de Lumiare was the night time lagoon show, followed in Summer 1983 by New World Fantasy. This ran until summer 1984, when Laserphonic Fantasy took over, until 1988 when Illuminations debued. This ran until 1996, when Illuminations 25 (a) started, quickly followed by Illuminations 25 (b), and then of course RoE Debued in 1999.

I do admit though the religeous stories for Moroccco sound right! :animwink:

peter11435

marni1971 said:
Thats not exactly true either. Just after EPCOT Center opened, Carnival de Lumiare was the night time lagoon show, followed in Summer 1983 by New World Fantasy. This ran until summer 1984, when Laserphonic Fantasy took over, until 1988 when Illuminations debued. This ran until 1996, when Illuminations 25 (a) started, quickly followed by Illuminations 25 (b), and then of course RoE Debued in 1999.

I do admit though the religeous stories for Moroccco sound right! :animwink:
I stand corrected you are right abut the shows, however I don't think the lights were installed before 1988 for Iluminations.

scottnj1966

what is the real truth

Would really like to do what the truth is on this.
I will email Disney and ask.

Seems to be alot of religious reasons. It's a theme park not church.

If they tell me the reason I will post it here.

peter11435

scottnj1966 said:
Would really like to do what the truth is on this.
I will email Disney and ask.

Seems to be alot of religious reasons. It's a theme park not church.

If they tell me the reason I will post it here.
Trust me the reason is what I posted. Yes its a theme park, but thats the thing it is a theme park. They want everything to be very authentic.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I`ll dig out an EPCOT newspaper from 87 - it featured Laserphonic Fantasy. I`ll see who sponsored it and any other tech info - its got me thinking too!

donsullivan

Premium Member
marni1971 said:
...... Illuminations 25 (a) started, quickly followed by Illuminations 25 (b), and then of course RoE Debued in 1999.......:

Ah yes, the ever unpopular Illuminations 25(a). That had the be the the strangest fireworks type show I've ever seen Disney do. It was like the music they played was for a different show. There didn't seem to be any synchronization to it at all.

se8472

On a side note…

You will also notice in Morocco that none of the decorations or art work are perfect. They all have little tiny things wrong with them. Well not all are small but most. This is due to no one is perfect but Allah. Thus only he could create perfect decor.

But I don't know, that lamb sure taste perfect to me

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sad, I know, but this is bugging me now. WDWMagic has an insight, saying Illuminations (1988) added the pavilion lighting http://www.wdwmagic.com/i.htm but I just emailed guest services to see if they can help out. Not that I don`t believe any of you here mind - I asked them several specific questions. Scottnj1966 - if you mail them too, do let us know! They have been spot on in answering some of my qwerky history questions in the past. An American Adventure question took them 3 weeks, but they did come through!

Subnote - Just dug through some videos. Norway at least does have `edge` lighting as the other pavilions do - its used for New Years Eve.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom