igt, ogt, vgt, mto discounts ?

mikewdw

Original Poster
seen these mentioned but dont know anything about them. how do these discounts work? just finished first cruise, and loved it! we are both teachers and if price was right might could go with only a few days notice during summer. we are 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) and I don't know enough yet to understand how this whole process works. any info appreciated or if there is a thread that explains it please let me know.
thanks
mikewdw

sweetpee_1993

Basically, when cruises haven't sold enough Disney will release rooms at discounted rates. Usually this happens once it's inside the 75 day paid in full date so that people who booked ahead will already be paid & subject to cancellation fees. Some special sailings will offer discount rates before the 75 day mark but that's not very common. You just have to look. The way to find these discounted fares is to go into DCL's website searching for cruises. If there's discounts available you will see them listed as a stateroom category at the top of each type of stateroom tab. IGT stands for inside guarantee, OGT for ocean view guarantee, and VGT for verandah guarantee. When booking these discount cruise fares you do not pick a stateroom number/location. One will be assigned to you usually within 10 days of sailing. Each of these guarantees you at least a room of that type, not less. So you won't book a VGT and get assigned an inside stateroom. You'll get at least a verandah room. But, if you book an IGT it's possible you could get assigned a higher category like an ocean view or verandah. It happens from time to time. One rule to remember with these discount fares is that you MUST pay in full at the time of booking and I think all monies are 100% non-refundable if you cancel.

Right now *GT fares are on most sailings thru the end of July and into early August here & there. I'm watching carefully for late September/early October. ;)

Because of your family size you may not find a whole lot pop up. Try looking with just 2 or 3 of you and get 2 rooms. I'm not sure how it would work getting 2 rooms and guaranteeing they are connected. That may not happen. Maybe call Disney Cruise Line and ask on that one.

sweetpee_1993

MTO is the military discount code. On the search page it has a spot on the lower left to enter a discount code. MTO is for military (retired or active duty). There's also FLR for Florida residents (must provide proof of residency within 48 hrs of booking) and KSF for the veeeeeery rare "kids sail free" discount. There hasn't been a KSF since Galveston in 2013. ;)

mikewdw

Original Poster
how much of a discount is it usually? I know it probably varies but just trying to get an idea of the money

PolynesianPrincess

how much of a discount is it usually? I know it probably varies but just trying to get an idea of the money

I know that when we booked a VGT room on the Dream for a 4 night cruise back in February, the rooms were previously going for about $750 per person when we wanted to book ($2,250 total - I don't remember what category but it was a verandah room) and we ended up booking for $590 I believe ($1770 total) so we saved about $480 total. While it's not a lot, it's something! That paid for our cabana on Castaway Cay :)

Oh, and it ended up our room was on deck7, family size. So if you compared the price for THAT category with the VGT rate, it was more than $480 savings. We were just comparing the lowest price verandah room as that is what we would have booked.

Disneyfalcon

Kelly is right on, it really does vary. Often they take you down to opening day prices, but it can be more.

Military and Florida resident rates are different, the discounts there are huge. If you're eligible, definitely take advantage.

cgnsc2

Basically, when cruises haven't sold enough Disney will release rooms at discounted rates. Usually this happens once it's inside the 75 day paid in full date so that people who booked ahead will already be paid & subject to cancellation fees. Some special sailings will offer discount rates before the 75 day mark but that's not very common. You just have to look. The way to find these discounted fares is to go into DCL's website searching for cruises. If there's discounts available you will see them listed as a stateroom category at the top of each type of stateroom tab. IGT stands for inside guarantee, OGT for ocean view guarantee, and VGT for verandah guarantee. When booking these discount cruise fares you do not pick a stateroom number/location. One will be assigned to you usually within 10 days of sailing. Each of these guarantees you at least a room of that type, not less. So you won't book a VGT and get assigned an inside stateroom. You'll get at least a verandah room. But, if you book an IGT it's possible you could get assigned a higher category like an ocean view or verandah. It happens from time to time. One rule to remember with these discount fares is that you MUST pay in full at the time of booking and I think all monies are 100% non-refundable if you cancel.

Right now *GT fares are on most sailings thru the end of July and into early August here & there. I'm watching carefully for late September/early October. ;)

Because of your family size you may not find a whole lot pop up. Try looking with just 2 or 3 of you and get 2 rooms. I'm not sure how it would work getting 2 rooms and guaranteeing they are connected. That may not happen. Maybe call Disney Cruise Line and ask on that one.

cgnsc2

Hello! If we are able to get the IGT/OGT rate and it is paid immediately and not refundable, does that also mean it is not refundable with trip insurance that they offer? I ask because my 6 yo daughter has a rare disorder and if she gets sick at sea we may be fine with the Dr. and facilities on board, but then again, we may need to use the insurance. Thanks for your reply!

EOD K9

MTO is the military discount code. On the search page it has a spot on the lower left to enter a discount code. MTO is for military (retired or active duty). There's also FLR for Florida residents (must provide proof of residency within 48 hrs of booking) and KSF for the veeeeeery rare "kids sail free" discount. There hasn't been a KSF since Galveston in 2013. ;)
Not for nothing regarding KSF, I will have my ten month old twins on my next cruise....how much of the ship's services are we really taking up? 12 months and less should be free.

Disneyfalcon

Hello! If we are able to get the IGT/OGT rate and it is paid immediately and not refundable, does that also mean it is not refundable with trip insurance that they offer? I ask because my 6 yo daughter has a rare disorder and if she gets sick at sea we may be fine with the Dr. and facilities on board, but then again, we may need to use the insurance. Thanks for your reply!

Trip insurance still fully applies. No worries. :)

IGT stands for inside guarantee, OGT for ocean view guarantee, and VGT for verandah guarantee.

A little off topic, but do you know what GTY stands for? That's what my stateroom is listed as at the moment....I just booked 3 days ago for a cruise mid-November for an INSANELY cheap rate thanks to a good friend of mine who works for DCL, so really they can throw me in a mop closet and I'll be happy...but I'm still very curious haha :)

Bolna

A little off topic, but do you know what GTY stands for? That's what my stateroom is listed as at the moment....I just booked 3 days ago for a cruise mid-November for an INSANELY cheap rate thanks to a good friend of mine who works for DCL, so really they can throw me in a mop closet and I'll be happy...but I'm still very curious haha :)

GTY stands for guarantee. It means that you will be placed in at least the category you booked, by they can place you in any higher category as well.

So, if for example you have a 10 B stateroom booked, it means that you could get a 10B, 10A or any oceanview or balcony stateroom.

Bolna

Oh, and GTY is usually assigned about 50 days before the cruise while IGT, OGT and VGT are mostly assigned only a few days before the cruise. If you retrieve your reservation on the DCL website, you can look at the details of your booking and see if they have assigned you a stateroom already. Since your cruise is so soon, they might have already done it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom