Iger: Creativity, technology, globalization will drive future

speck76

Original Poster
By Scott Powers |
Posted April 7, 2006

Walt Disney Co. chief Robert Iger's mantra of creativity, technology and globalization means the company should focus on fewer but higher-quality entertainment projects compared with before he took over last fall.

Iger is at Walt Disney World to celebrate today's grand opening of Expedition Everest, the new roller coaster ride that unofficially opened six weeks ago at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

On Thursday, Iger and two other top Disney executives laid out their plans for the company -- and the area's largest employer -- for about 150 Central Florida community leaders who gathered at one of Walt Disney World's resorts.

Disney's executive triumvirate, including Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo and Parks and Resorts President Al Weiss, largely stuck to the messages that Iger has repeated often, most notably at the Disney corporate shareholders meeting last month: Disney must and will return to its creative roots. Technology is rapidly creating new ways for Disney to deliver its goods. The global market is the key to growth.

And with a renewed focus on quality creativity, less is better, Iger said.

Iger repeated the criticism he leveled last month when, while explaining the company's purchase of Pixar Animation Studios, he said that Disney hadn't made a good animated movie in 10 years. This time he called the recent movies' performance "erratic."

"We really believe we are poised to enter another renaissance period for Disney animation," he said.

But this time Iger tried to make sure he didn't sound specifically critical of his predecessor, Michael Eisner, insisting that Eisner's reign brought a number of great animated movies, from The Little Mermaid in 1989 to The Lion King in 1994.

Iger called the movie business and the theme-park business the company's most important divisions, despite its enterprises ranging from television networks to Internet, cell phone and MP3 player programming. And he called Walt Disney World one of the company's most important businesses.

"If Walt Disney World is successful, the Disney Company will be successful," Iger said.

Among other statements:

Parks and Resorts Chairman Rasulo said the theme parks' current promotional campaign, tied to Disneyland's 50th anniversary, has "exceeded all expectations."

Weiss, who temporarily remains Walt Disney World president even though he was promoted last fall to president of the division overseeing all 11 Disney theme parks, said the new attractions -- Expedition Everest, Lights, Motors, Action! and Soarin' -- should keep attendance strong once the anniversary campaign ends next fall. But after that, he said more new attractions will be needed every year, saying all four parks have plenty of land for expansion.

"You're going to want to continue to reinvest in both Disneyland and Walt Disney World. And the reason for that is such a high percentage of our guests are repeat guests . . . they want to see new things when they come back,"

Weiss would not say when a new president would be named for Walt Disney World.

"It's certainly months away. I don't have anybody in mind, and I don't have anybody, and I don't have anybody on tap right now," Weiss said.

Scott Powers can be reached at 407-420-5441or spowers@orlandosentinel.com.

Shaman

speck76 said:
"Weiss, who temporarily remains Walt Disney World president even though he was promoted last fall to president of the division overseeing all 11 Disney theme parks, said the new attractions -- Expedition Everest, Lights, Motors, Action! and Soarin' -- should keep attendance strong once the anniversary campaign ends next fall. But after that, he said more new attractions will be needed every year, saying all four parks have plenty of land for expansion."

Sounds like great news to me...I just hope they don't get TOO carried away.

:lol: :sohappy:

imagineer99

I saw Iger on CNN on this morning. He seems to genuinely be excited about the possibility of creativity and new attractions entering the parks.

CaptainMichael

imagineer99 said:
I saw Iger on CNN on this morning. He seems to genuinely be excited about the possibility of creativity and new attractions entering the parks.
From what we've heard today, both Nemo attractions seem to be moving in the right directino. Exciting times my friends! An Unofficial Disney Decade.

GrimGhost

Iger repeated the criticism he leveled last month when, while explaining the company's purchase of Pixar Animation Studios, he said that Disney hadn't made a good animated movie in 10 years
"We really believe we are poised to enter another renaissance period for Disney animation," he said.

"If Walt Disney World is successful, the Disney Company will be successful," Iger said.

I'm getting choked up here.

Connor002

Iger knows how to say the right things, but as to whether or not he can deliver, I'll still need to see a bit more...

uklad79

It's good that he can see what people are thinking and can admit that they have lost their way in their quest to grow. Growth is good but financal growth will be better with quality films and improvements and upgrades to the existing parks and he see's that. Now let's wait for the delivery before we sing praises as everything going at the moment was green lit by the previous team.

New2WDW

MuRkErY said:
Very nice, I like it. :D

Iger seems to be saying all the right things, let's hope he delivers.

I agree! Maybe Iger listens to everyone on this board?:lookaroun He may be under an alias even!:lookaroun :lookaroun :lol:

It all sounds very promising. I'm impressed by the fact that he recognizes that Disney hasn't made a good animated film in 10 years which is relatively accurate (I'd be REALLY impressed if they went back to traditional.) Iger's promise of an animation renaissance and theme park expansions is definitely something we all want and can look forward to. All I can say is he'd better deliver or expect an angry mob of P.O.'d Disney fans on his tail.:D

mickeyman65

objr said:
Sounds like great news to me...I just hope they don't get TOO carried away.

:lol: :sohappy:

I have to agree here...we all love new rides but they cost money to build. The rate that they are building and remodeling I'm sure isn't cheap..which can only mean more money for the price of admission...when looking at my records has gone up $14 in 4 years...don't get me wrong I love Disney but where does it stop.

Starman1128

mickeyman65 said:
I have to agree here...we all love new rides but they cost money to build. The rate that they are building and remodeling I'm sure isn't cheap..which can only mean more money for the price of admission...when looking at my records has gone up $14 in 4 years...don't get me wrong I love Disney but where does it stop.

Once poped...the fun don't stop.

Skippy

connor002 said:
Iger knows how to say the right things, but as to whether or not he can deliver, I'll still need to see a bit more...
agreed. so far this sounds great, but there hasn't really been anytime to see if what he's planning on doing will come as he's leading us to believe it will.

worldshwcasefan

speck76 said:
By Scott Powers |
Posted April 7, 2006

Walt Disney Co. chief Robert Iger's mantra of creativity, technology and globalization means the company should focus on fewer but higher-quality entertainment projects compared with before he took over last fall.

Iger is at Walt Disney World to celebrate today's grand opening of Expedition Everest, the new roller coaster ride that unofficially opened six weeks ago at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

On Thursday, Iger and two other top Disney executives laid out their plans for the company -- and the area's largest employer -- for about 150 Central Florida community leaders who gathered at one of Walt Disney World's resorts.

Disney's executive triumvirate, including Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo and Parks and Resorts President Al Weiss, largely stuck to the messages that Iger has repeated often, most notably at the Disney corporate shareholders meeting last month: Disney must and will return to its creative roots. Technology is rapidly creating new ways for Disney to deliver its goods. The global market is the key to growth.

Iger repeated the criticism he leveled last month when, while explaining the company's purchase of Pixar Animation Studios, he said that Disney hadn't made a good animated movie in 10 years. This time he called the recent movies' performance "erratic."

But this time Iger tried to make sure he didn't sound specifically critical of his predecessor, Michael Eisner, insisting that Eisner's reign brought a number of great animated movies, from The Little Mermaid in 1989 to The Lion King in 1994.

Iger called the movie business and the theme-park business the company's most important divisions, despite its enterprises ranging from television networks to Internet, cell phone and MP3 player programming. And he called Walt Disney World one of the company's most important businesses.

Among other statements:

Parks and Resorts Chairman Rasulo said the theme parks' current promotional campaign, tied to Disneyland's 50th anniversary, has "exceeded all expectations."

Weiss, who temporarily remains Walt Disney World president even though he was promoted last fall to president of the division overseeing all 11 Disney theme parks, said the new attractions -- Expedition Everest, Lights, Motors, Action! and Soarin' -- should keep attendance strong once the anniversary campaign ends next fall. But after that, he said more new attractions will be needed every year, saying all four parks have plenty of land for expansion.

"You're going to want to continue to reinvest in both Disneyland and Walt Disney World. And the reason for that is such a high percentage of our guests are repeat guests . . . they want to see new things when they come back,"

Weiss would not say when a new president would be named for Walt Disney World.

"It's certainly months away. I don't have anybody in mind, and I don't have anybody, and I don't have anybody on tap right now," Weiss said.

Scott Powers can be reached at 407-420-5441or spowers@orlandosentinel.com.

Who is going to replace Al Weiss as president of Walt Disney World Co.Inc?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom