If You Were CEO of Disney for a decade

rob0519

Would start by getting the company in order... which means selling off ESPN and ABC. They drain way too much money off for things like football and other sports that aren't key to Disney... Then it would be time to open some new parks outside of Anaheim and Orlando... A large true resort in South America modeled after WDW and one smaller park similar to DL in the middle of the country... And then move to open small party places in major cities where you would have a couple of dark ride copies and meet and greet places in a place designed to hold birthday parties providing cake and pizza... nothing major but enough that it would promote the brand and generate interest in the main parks.

In 2013 the media division, which includes ESPN, accounted for approximately 50% of Disney's overall profits. ESPN is bringing in billions in profits annually. Not sure how you see that as a financial drain. While the media landscape may change in the next decade, it Is unlikely the Board of Directors would consider selling off this cash cow anytime soon.

rob0519

Same concept, but hopefully with higher quality... just imagine the amount of money you could rake in to pass along to the real parks by opening these little feeder shops.

In the early 1990s, Disney opened two retail stores which included a quick serve restaurant called Mickey' s Kitchen. One was in Caifornia and the other in the Woodfield Mall outside of Chicago. It served hot dogs, hamburgers, Mickey shaped fries and pizza. I believe you could book birthday parties, but there were no characters on site. I don't think it lasted more than a year. Restaurants can run on a very thin profit margin, so unless you were charging some type of admission, I don't think the profits would be all that significant.

It could also actually dilute the brand rather than enhance it. It's the inability to get the Disney experience anywhere other than their two resorts, here in the U.S., that keeps families flocking to the parks at thousands of dollars per trip.

psukardi

In 2013 the media division, which includes ESPN, accounted for approximately 50% of Disney's overall profits. ESPN is bringing in billions in profits annually. Not sure how you see that as a financial drain. While the media landscape may change in the next decade, it Is unlikely the Board of Directors would consider selling off this cash cow anytime soon.

ESPN controls college football and that's big $$$$

thomas998

In the early 1990s, Disney opened two retail stores which included a quick serve restaurant called Mickey' s Kitchen. One was in Caifornia and the other in the Woodfield Mall outside of Chicago. It served hot dogs, hamburgers, Mickey shaped fries and pizza. I believe you could book birthday parties, but there were no characters on site. I don't think it lasted more than a year. Restaurants can run on a very thin profit margin, so unless you were charging some type of admission, I don't think the profits would be all that significant.

It could also actually dilute the brand rather than enhance it. It's the inability to get the Disney experience anywhere other than their two resorts, here in the U.S., that keeps families flocking to the parks at thousands of dollars per trip.

I didn't know they ever did those things... but it sounds like they didn't go far enough to make it a place you could charge a Disney price. I was thinking of a much more Disneyesque experience.

AintNoOtherMan

Magic Kingdom:
-Update Tomorrowland by replacing Stitch and Laugh Floor with Alien Encounter and a Wall-E dark ride. I would also update the speedway to make it look less like it belongs in Yesterdayland lol Maybe a Tron theme could work. If not that, give it a Cars overlay or something to make it more appealing.
-In Fantasyland, I would simply update all of the rides to make them up to date. Let's be real, most of the rides in FL are extremely dated and need it, but the concept is great and doesn't need changing.
-The other lands are fine the way they are. Maybe a few small updates, but nothing major.

EPCOT:
-Restore Imagination
-Essentially make FW more similar to the original EPCOT Center, but not a replica or tribute. I would put in rides and shows with innovative concepts, but not rebuild the old rides. I would sacrifice rides/shows like Captain EO, Ellen's Energy Adventure, and Circle of Life to do this.
-I would simply make the entire experience more educational (I'm literally one of the only teens in the whole world who would say this haha). EPCOT was made to be an immersive learning experience, so that's what I would make it.
-Soarin' Over the World... I've always felt that Soarin' Over California almost feels misplaced in FL. It fits in DL becaues it is in CA, but this is in Florida...
-I would update Malestrom. Norwegian culture is really interesting, but the ride just doesn't do a great job of representing it imo. I would make it longer and give it more of a plot. I would update (not get rid of) the video at the end, too.
-I would put more rides in the WS. I love the World Showcase, but when I was younger, I didn't think it was as fun. I would do the Gondolas in Italy.
-Greece Pavilion. This was an idea that I came up with about two years ago, and I still think it's a great idea. I would put a Greek amphitheater in the center of the pavilion where Greek myths would be acted out as plays. A Hercules dark ride could be fun, and I would add in a great Greek restaurant (Greek food>>>).

Hollywood Studios:
-Get rid of the hat tbh. It's tacky.
-Completely get rid of the Backlot Tour and LMA. Their prime is over.
-Star Wars land... I'm not a big fan of the movies, but Star Tours is a great ride. There are a lot of fans, and it could be a huge financial opportunity.
-Get rid of Indiana Jones and replace it with a stunt show (obviously much better than LMA or the stunts in the Backlot)
-Expand Pixar Place with an Up ride, and if I didn't go through with the Cars in MK, bring a ride over from Carsland.
-Update Fantasmic! I like the show, but it needs an update. I would just update the effects, because they seem dated.
-I would get rid of SoA. Their only use is for the light show around Christmas, and that could be moved to Sunset Blvd
-DHS needs better dining options, so I'd probably put in a Ratatouille French restaurant in Pixar Place that serves really good French food.

Animal Kingdom
-Scrap Avatarland and built Beastly Kingdom
-Get rid of that cheap, tacky carnival thing in Dinoland.
-Continue with the nightime spectacular they are planning
-Give Rafiki's more of an attraction. It's cute, but it could be great, and it's not.
(I don't understand how people don't think AK has enough.... Imo what it has is already really good)

This is assuming I have unlimited money, lol

Sue_Vongello

Great topic and I have given this a lot of thought … I did not read anyone else’s responses yet so I wouldn't alter my takes (but yes I may repeat some people, so sorry). I tried to approach this from a business standpoint and not just a fan, to maintain or increase current profits.

Sue Vongello’s WDW 10 Year Plan (If she were CEO starting January 2015):

2015:
1. Reduce hotel rates as such indicated only by Peak rates, which would be the highest; Value – Peak Rates $110/Night, Moderate – Peak Rates $160/Night, Deluxe – Peak Rates $250/Night.
2. Publish flat discount AP percentages per season for the year, that have potential to increase in percentage contingent on number of park visits by said pass, accomplishing two goals, encouraging APers to stay on property and incentivizing more visits.
3. Incentivize DVC Membership such as; include Basic AP with membership (that has blackout dates) which can be upgraded for a small fee, reinstate DVC lounges with bottle water and light snacks, and 15-20% off ALL restaurants and ALL shops. This accomplishes a few goals like increasing perceived value of DVC, encouraging more park visits, and more WDW restaurant visits.
4. Reinstate WDW Resort Hotel EXTRA MAGIC HOURS to longer lengths at nights, increasing value to staying on site.
5. CANCEL Avatarland, but hold the cleared land, and commission Imagineering for replacement projects (possibly focusing on Indiana Jones, adventure, and the things we learn from the Earth).
6. CONTINUE nighttime show construction for DAK.
7. Green light fully immersive Star Wars Land for DHS to include at MINIMUM 1 E-Ticket and 2 C-Ticket attractions, table service and quick service locations to compliment Star Tours; area to absorb should be Echo Lake, Indy, and some of Streets of America. Construction Schedule to start Jan 2015 with a grand opening of October 2016 in time for the holidays, aggressive construction schedule.
8. Green Light Imagination Pavilion re-do to feature a modern technology version of the original Journey Into Imagination and a complimentary 3-D show, to be complete by December 2015/Spring 2016 depending on scope.
9. CANCEL Frozen overlay on Maelstrom and reach out to Norwegian government on funds to upgrade current attraction and post-ride film, to be complete by Summer 2016.
10. Commission Imagineering for Frozen attraction ideas to be added to Magic Kingdom, Ideas for Universe of Energy, World Showcase, and Animal Kingdom.
11. Commission Imagineering for Guardians of the Galaxy and Big Hero 6 ideas for Tomorrowland and/or DHS.
12. CANCEL plans to further DVC Wilderness Lodge and prepare/design/bid plans for DVC to be added to EPCOT resort area, preferably on the Monorail loop to open Winter 2017.
13. Increase maintenance budgets by 2% property wide, to accommodate a more robust plan for maintenance in all areas.
14. Initiate a standardized maintenance schedule and system to assume all attractions, resorts, etc … are essentially fully renovated every ten years or sooner.
15. Modify restaurant quality and pricing structure; either increasing food quality to justify prices OR reducing prices to justify quality.
16. Install new segments and upgraded quality on Philharmagic to be complete by Spring 2015.
17. Install new segments and upgraded quality on Soarin’ to be complete by Spring 2015.
18. Install new design team to create unique resort/attraction specific merchandise to be rolled out mid-2015 and increased as demand warrants.
19. Fire all current social media employees and alter ideology on social media to be solely information based, without editorializing, and providing an open forum (within reason) for ALL types of comments and discussion. This includes eliminating or CLEARLY identifying who is a paid brand advocate and who isn’t.

2015 GOAL: Bring back goodwill lost (especially in a year when nothing new will be opened), bring back high standards, restore quality thus creating a clear air of superiority, increase park visits and resort nights, show appreciation for loyal customers, and build buzz around exciting new attractions, which starting in 2016 should be delivered annually for my tenure.

2016:
1. Evaluate resort occupancy and adjust rates accordingly, not to exceed increases of more than 5%, or 7% over the next ten years.
2. Begin construction on EPCOT DVC themed around some sort of international locale, highlighting the international flavor of EPCOT and World Showcase, to be complete Winter 2017, preferably an Arabian theme of some sort (and push Aladdin merch, naturally).
3. Evaluate success of AP and DVC incentives and adjust accordingly, adding incentives for APers that have been holders for a number of consecutive years, such as private viewing areas for shows/fireworks.
4. DEMO Pinocchio Village Haus building (and most likely It’s a Small World too) and Green light Frozen attraction/mini area for Magic Kingdom to be built in that area, sure this wouldn’t be my choice as a FAN but business wise this makes sense, and I get that, to be complete Spring 2018.
5. Green light Monsters Inc. Door Coaster to be complete Summer 2017, and if not done already permanently close LMA in prep for Star Wars Land opening.
6. Determine plan for Avatarland area that is now vacant and begin construction late 2016.
7. OPEN Disney Springs, Imagination Pavilion, and Star Wars Land.

2016 GOAL: Continue incentives, maintain good will, and open major additions.

That’s all the in-depth analysis I will go into but I will give my 10 year highlight outlook below. The overall goal SHOULD be to raise standards and set clear definitions on why WDW is the best travel destination in the world. This is more evident than ever since Universal has stepped up its game immensely and now the differences between the two resorts are harder to identify … my goal as CEO would be to make distinctions in how we are different by the actively increasing the overall quality in all areas of the resort, showing respect to loyal customers, aggressive construction of beloved/marketable properties, and a renewed sense of focus on unique experiences/merchandise.

***ADDITION HIGHLIGHTS***

2015-2016

2015 – UPDATED Philharmagic

2015 – UPDATED Soarin’

2016 – Imagination Pavilion new attraction/new 3-D show

2016 – Norway Pavilion Attraction/Show updates

2016 – Star Wars Land (Attractions/Land/Restaurants)

2017-2020

2017 – Monster’s Inc. Door Coaster @ DHS Pixar Place

2017 – EPCOT DVC Resort

2018 – FROZEN (Mini-Land, D+ Attraction) @ Magic Kingdom (Small World/Village Haus area to be used)

2018 – C-Ticket Dark Ride to add to World Showcase to which ever country can subsidize it.

2019 – Animal Kingdom Major Land (where Avatarland was to go) something themed around Indiana Jones, exploration (Adventurer’s Club), and preservation of Earth through exploration.

2020 – Major E-Ticket @ EPCOT (where Universe of Energy currently sits) to be themed around the old model of educate AND entertain

2020 – DHS Animation Tour update/rethink

2021 – Guardians of the Galaxy Major E-Ticket @ Magic Kingdom (Tomorrowland Speedway area to be used)

2021 – DHS DVC Resort themed around “Old Hollywood”

2021 – C-Ticket The Good Dinosaur Dark Ride @ DAK (knocking out Chester & Hesters and adding this plus a small film educating on dinosaurs)

2021 – Dinosaur Educational film @ DAK (See above)

2022 – New Wonders of Life Pavilion utilizing Inside Out from Pixar, D-Ticket attraction at minimum

2022 – C-Ticket Sleeping Beauty Dark Ride @ MK (where Princess Fairytale Hall currently is)

2023 – Expansion of the Seas @ EPCOT to include new E/D ticket attraction

2024 – A Jungle Book attraction D-Ticket @ DAK Asia area

2025 – Star Wars Land Expansion to completely take over Streets of America/Muppets/Theater adding new content from new films including a new E-Ticket

2025 – Magic Kingdom DVC Resort on the Monorail Loop

Chef Mickey

First thing I'd do is show I'm in charge. Not to be a dictator, but it make it clear we are not settling for good enough anymore, despite what the numbers say. It would be clear my focus would be Parks and Resorts and that message would be evidenced by saying goodbye to several top executives at TDO in particular. Shareholders wouldn't like me at first, but if I'm guaranteed 10 years, so be it.

ESPN/ABC/TV is running like a top...I'd leave control of that to the existing execs and give them a bonus for their continued stellar performance.

Studios: Doing pretty well. I'd do my best to weed out the flops, but I'd let that run like it is but also have more things for the park in the pipeline that complement the movies in a classy, not in your face way.

Consumer Products: Fine. Don't care...keep those margins up.

Disney Interactive: Pretty much a disaster but have done a little better lately. I'd probably fire several people and leave the controls to a software guy from Microsoft who was paid on performance.

Parks and Resorts: There's a new sheriff in town and his name is Chef Mickey. I fire the people in charge and bring in people who give a crap, primarily at WDW. It's the best and only the best from now at the parks. One unifying message for all parks and resorts employees from the top down. Great show or no show.

ALL PARKS: Everything broken is fixed and maintained to keep it that way. Standardized checks to ensure this happens and management compensation tied to this. All corporate support to get things fixed so there are no "bad shows." Every single thing down to the last detail is fixed.

Tour Groups of 20 or more: You need a Disney CM guide/handler or you will be asked to leave. This will be friendly and marketed as a great service but required if you party chooses to stay together the entire time.

Strollers: No longer allowed to do whatever you want in terms of size. More standardized options. Parking strollers would be fixed with a new stroller concierge system.

EPCOT:
$750M goes into maintenance and new attraction development, immediately. Re-imagined Test Track and Mission: Space. (No, the recent iteration of Test Track isn't close to good enough). Horizons is re-built in a cutting edge way. Dench is out and Irons is back at SSE. Captain EO, gone and replaced by a 3D show that matters. The theater and sound system are great. State of the Art everything. We aren't replacing Maelstrom with Frozen. Frozen will be a separate attraction in a separate location.

Magic Kingdom:

Expanded. I don't care how it's done, it's getting bigger. It's too crowded. More Dining options with bigger facilities. Bigger bathrooms. More benches. Carousel of Progress is fully restored.

Magic Carpets of Aladdin gone and replaced with a Aladdin new show that is part of an expanded Adventure Land.

Stitch gone and replaced with Alien Encounter. Buzz gone and replaced with an updated version more similar to Toy Story.

Speedway Gone and replaced with a Cars themed attraction that is actually fun.

Snow White dark ride returns with face lift, but same concept.

Animal Kingdom:

$1b invested. Seriously. Beastly Kingdom Re-Imagined and executed. Yeti fixed. Dinoland gone in favor of Beastly Kingdom. Avatarland shelved and new "Dinosaur" themed land with kick simulators and REAL learning all related to Dinosaurs.

Hollywood Studios
$1b invested. Great Movie Ride tastefully updated, but not completely changed. Backlot tour and Lights Motors Action re-imagined. New Street performers. Star Wars Land realized and utterly unbelievable. State of the Art everything. 2 completely new shows. Fantasmic re-imagined. Sorcery in the Sky comes back to complement Fantasmic.

And that's just the start. I would continually update attractions and make the experience smarter, especially at EPCOT.

Last edited:

Bluewaves

Day 1 , rent bulldozer and wrecking ball and clear away some tombstones in Epcot and get rid of the cemetery , Day 2 call whoever fixed DCA and fly them to Orlando and let them run wild and free in DHS.
Day 3 Animal Kingdom, bye bye Avatar Land, start plussing the existing park
Day 4 MK, clean clean clean, everything starts getting functional and working

The rest of the time bring in people who are actually thrilled and excited to work at Disney, who have ideas and to let them loose with proper budgets and time frames to fix improve and build new experiences, both rides, shows, restaurants, roaming entertainment etc...... and make sure to keep them on target and showing that going above and beyond improves the bottom line and scare the pants off the boys across town

rkleinlein

MAGIC KINGDOM:
1) Indiana Jones ride, built south of Pirates and outside train tracks, accessed via heavily themed winding jungle path between Pirates and Cruise.
2) Replace Stitch (one of the lamest attractions in all four parks) with SOMETHING better (TRON, Iron Man, anything but the current attraction).
3) New Fantasyland attraction in former location of Snow White, preferably based on a classic (101 Dalmations, Mary Poppins?).
4) New character/princess meet and greet in former location of Fantsyland Skyway terminal.
5) A stylish fireworks viewing platform on roof of Cosmic Ray's in Tomorrowland (elevator opposite Tomorrowland Speedway, stairs on west side down to Tomorrowland/Fantasyland bridge).
6) Update Tomorrowland Speedway with more interesting or more futuristic vehicles, or get rid of it altogether and replace it with something else (Cars, TRON, Iron Man?).

EPCOT:
While I understand the rationale of changing Maelstrom to Frozen, Maelstrom was hardly the weakest attraction in Epcot. As a matter of fact, it was pretty good--was my daughter's (age 9) favorite in Epcot. The net advantage in this expensive rehab is negligible. Money should have be spent elsewhere in Epcot.
1) Complete reimagining of Imagination (another of the lamest attractions in all four parks).
2) India pavilion with stylized Jungle Book boat ride. This adds an essential child friendly attraction in World Showcase as well as a long overdue new country. And Jungle Book will appeal to boys unlike the recent obsession with princess themed attractions.
3) New Soarin' movie--around the world.
4) Update movie in French pavilion.
5) Update look of some Future World Pavillions. The Land, for example, has all the charm of a shopping mall food court circa 1989.
6) Rethink the main entrance. It's awful.

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS:
1) Get rid of the hideous Sorcerer's hat. Move it to Art of Animation resort. Let the Chinese Theater be the landmark is used to be.
2) Update Movie Ride
3) Star Wars land.
4) Do something to fix the pedestrian gridlock in Pixar Place.
5) A new attraction that highlights Disney Studio productions throughout the years. An immersive 3D film? Perhaps located where Voyage of Little Mermaid is, linking Animation Courtyard with Walt Disney: One Man's Dream.

ANIMAL KINGDOM:
1) Lion King ride, built southwest of new Festival of Lion King (with a path that extends south, connecting these attractions in Africa with the new Avitarland). This will add another much needed kid-friendly attraction.
2) Complete rehab of Dinosaur. It could be SO much better. Let's upgrade this attraction from Imagination caliber to Haunted Mansion/Pirates of Caribbean caliber.
3) Get rid of the Primeval Whirl. It's an embarrassment. It belongs at a state fair. Perhaps replace it with an appropriately-themed, very young kid-friendly, gentle coaster through a dinosaur excavation.

Last edited:

THEMEPARKPIONEER

If you're giving me the keys to the kingdom for a 10 year chunk, you might not like what you get.

First - I'm not building anything new until the old stuff gets fixed. That means makeovers and rolling closures of rides. Sorry folks - ride is closed.
Second - I'm hiring outside consultants to find what's wrong with rides and then I'm looking to find ways to implement those changes. It might mean tinkering with a queue, changing some things, but from start to finish the story has to be told.
Third - Cast Members. I'd look at the standard cost of living and comparison of wages across the sector & make them more competitive. I want the best and brightest to work for me and if that means I have to give a 5% bump across the board so be it. However, that means I'll be more likely to fire people too because CM's are the front line of my product.
Fourth - Flattening the management structure. I can get some of the money for #3 by removing middle management that does nothing on a day to day operation.

Once that's fixed and my house is in order it's time to get into the parks.

1. Magic Kingdom - We are going to do something about those strollers. I'm tired of that eye-sore that it's become. Likewise we are going to find a way to have a path for the ECV's kind of like a bike path on roads in major cities. No longer will walkways be 10 wide full of skooters blocking the way.
1A. Rides - It's time to fix a few things & get back to basics. Tomorrow land needs love: We're going to partner with TESLA and get something going here for the cars & or the people mover. Also, we are going to bring back Mr. Toad's Wild Ride & Alien Encounter. Tough Toenails to soccer mom's that are afraid their precious snowflake might get scared.

2. EPCOT - Time to fix the big giant Ball & rock it old school. Make the narrations a bit "smarter" , not going to dumb down to the audience. We can keep the current layout but lets make the story a bit more compelling. Next it's off Figment - We are finding the money somehow to fix this ride.
2a. World Showcase - You're fine - not messing with what works.

3. MGM - The Big Hat is gone. I'm getting a bulldozer and a wrecking ball & getting that thing out of dodge.
3a. Time for some good street performers. We have the budget and I'm sure we can find some good street performers to do more improv type stuff.
3b. Great Movie Ride - Update where applicable - maybe find a way to get some newer stuff in there. Can we update the queue?
3c. Backlot Tour - Gone! Stunt Show - Gone! Indiana Jones - Time for a makeover
3d. Get a RFI for plans to build some new rides - wow me - I'm not committed but I'm listening.

Hopefully that's realistic.
You have my vote

copcarguyp71

I would do exactly what my man Iger did over his tenure so far. Make his shareholders filthy rich. Shareholder return is the only thing that matters.

I'll take "ways to make everyone at WDWMagic angry at you for $200 Alex..."
108023835_a_l.jpg

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Maybe people get mad, but the job of a CEO is to maximize shareholder value, which Iger has done a tremendous job of. He is a tremendous CEO in that regard. Is he the most creative? No way, but as a businessman, he is one of the best. Quite frankly the people on this board and most internet boards represent a minuscule percentage of a "fan base" or whatever we call it, so their opinions really don't matter. Performance at the parks, in movie theaters, tv, etc...those results matter and he does a good job maximizing those businesses.

You really should read most of the last 2 years of content that @ParentsOf4 has contributed. There are multiple business divisions in a company like TWDC. At times, Iger has neglected or ignored 2 of them. He's also had ridden herd over lower profitability for P&R. Additionally, he has been presiding over a large scale buyback program that is part of an unsustainable model. Again, I can't do this justice compared to the analysis that @ParentsOf4 has provided in the last 2 years of content.

Enjoy the reading homework.

*1023*

FettFan

1. Goodbye Avatar, Hello Beastley Kingdomme

2. Figment becomes the de facto mascot for EPCOT Center.

3. Oswald becomes the de facto mascot for DHS.

4. Kevin from Up and Lucky the Dinosaur become the de facto mascots for DAK.

5. Flower and Garden Festival? BUH-BYE. There are enough flea markets over on International Drive, we don't need them at WDW.

6. Jack Sparrow walks the plank; Pirates restored to it's pre-movie condition.

7. Scrap Tomorrowland Speedway. Build Rocket Rods.

8. Beauty and the Beast-themed dark ride replaces "Enchanted Tales". Belle will now be found at Princess Fairytale hall. It will be similar to Snow White's Scary Adventure, but instead of the witch you will be attacked by wolves, by a spider-carriage thing, and by the Beast. Because this will be set prior to the movie, before Belle neutered him.

9. We buy up and destroy every copy of the Eddie Murphy Haunted Mansion movie. Then we scour YouTube for clips of it and have it removed completely. Make it so that abomination never happened.

10. Rebuild and revamp the working animation studio at DHS. Leave the CGI to Pixar, we're doing hand-drawn. Which means....

11. Wreck-It-Ralph will be getting an animated series. Classic-style shorts featuring the Fab Five (none of this Ren and Stimpy crap) will be produced for every Disney movie. See: Runaway Brain

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom