If you lived near DisneyWorld....

dmagickingdom

LOL....same elevation...just the different side of the state. You enjoy the Atlantic and I have the Gulf!!!Florida none the less and the best part is the short trip to Walt Disney World!!!

mickeyfanatics

Well, living in Tampa, we have passes and visit twice monthly on average. The nicest thing is being able to go for a few hours and not feel like you wasted your money. Back when MK stayed open until Midnight, we used to arrive at 8, after eating on the road, then stay until close and catch the late parade. In the summer we actually visit the water parks 2-3 times a week, and sometimes finish with a round of golf (mini).

goofyguy

My family and I moved to the Orlando area from Dallas in August of last year. We're only about 20 minutes away, so we do something in the parks about once a week, even if it's only for an hour or two.

As for the work question, my wife found a new job about a week after she started looking (making more than she did in Dallas). Although, my wife is seriously good at networking and had a number of connections before we even moved. I haven't really looked for anything yet. Luckily we've had the luxury of me not having to work for a while, so I've been staying home with the kids.

lakersfan17

i am going to be moving to florida at the beginning of june. I will be about 10 minutes away from disney world and i am planning on becoming a cast member as well. But i also cannot get enough of it.

Scooter

While I'm not ashamed to admit I Love Walt Disney World, and I enjoy going as often as possible, I doubt however, that I'd ever seriously consider moving to the Orlando Area.

I could deal with the hot weather because air-conditioning is never very far away.

But for myself and my family, part of the magic of going on a Disney Vacation for us is in the anticipation and the planning.

We Love watching the Disney vacation planning videos, going to the Disney Store, and buying new clothes and shoes before our trip.
We like choosing which resort we are going to stay in, what view room to get, and what we are going to do and what attractions we are going to see.

Our trips to Downtown Disney are something we look forward to every visit.

Things change a little every time we go and it's fun to find and point out all the changes and try the new things and see the new souvigniers that are available.

If we were able to jump into out car and drive to Disney World on a whim to spend an afternoon, I think it might get old after awhile. Maybe old isn't the word I'm looking for. I doubt I'd ever not enjoy being in WDW...I think maybe I meant we might lose some of the "Magic" that is the whole package... the planing, the flying, the airport, the Resorts, and then starting our planning for our next Disney vacation as soon as we get back home.

dmagickingdom

I can surely see where Scooter is coming from... when i was young, we lived 5 hours away so we only went once per year. when i turned 20 i moved away from home and it was only 2 hours away...now that i have AP's, the anticipation is not what it used to be but....I have found so many other things in the parks to enjoy that you can't do in a once per year vacation w/out missing out on many fun attractions.

RPMdfw

Originally posted by kbmb
RPMdfw.....if you don't mind me asking, did you both find jobs in the Orlando area?

We want to move down as well, but need to make sure we are going to be able to get jobs! :D

Regardless....congrats on the move.

-k

Ah, that's the million dollar question, isn't it? No, we don't have jobs yet.

Scott is on sabatical after settling his father's estate, so he wasn't working anyway. He's on sabatical from Universal Hollywood, and has friends and connections at Universal Orlando so doesn't expect to look for very long.

As for me, I've got a 20 year career in the hospitality industry and have a lot of experience in several different areas (front office, sales and catering, food and beverage management, accounting, etc.) and have already had a few calls on my resume, but nothing that's been a "match" yet. With my contacts with various hotel companies and my experience, I don't think I'll be out of work for long either.

So, no. We don't have jobs as yet, but we've both got prospects and are confident (for now. check with me in 6 months and see if I'm singing the same tune. :lol: )

In the end though, we decided we'd rather be together sooner than later, and we're taking the plunge.

Just for the record we were both Annual Passholders last year, and we've renewed for this year. I figured if I used it so much when I live in Dallas, I'll use it at least as much when I'm in Orlando.
Rob

MCO Dreamin

Ah yes, as you can see by my screen name I am just dreaming now of a move to Orlando, I have too many years invested in my job ( 25+ ), but a couple years ago things were not looking good and our company was nearly bought out by GE which since we had redundant facilities would have meant closing the doors at our plants, so I looked around at areas of the country that would fit what i was looking for if I lost my job and had to move and Orlando came out on top of my short list. Now things are looking much better and I will be able to retire in a few years from this company so I look forward to the day that I can sell my snowblower and live where the winters are short and mild and the summers long and warm ( I know it gets REAL hot, I generally vacation in August and love it ) , so some day in the future I look forward to seeing Illinois in my rear view mirror, until then I am just dreaming. :)

Lokheed

We moved here last August, and I am in the parks usually a couple of times per week. (I actually drive across the property pretty much every day since it is the shortest route to where I need to get, but that doesn't really count does it?).

It hasn't gotten old after seven months, and I don't suppose it ever really will.

disneyqueen

My husband and I moved to the Orlando area a little over a year ago. We had been talking about it for four years and my husbands company opened a new store down here and he put in for a transfer and bam we were on our way. I was nervous and scared about finding a job, but the day I found out we were moving I got online and found a company with a job opening for just exactly what I did. I applied online and got a call the next day. I flew down 5 days before my husband was leaving to start his job to have an interview and find an apartment. The day I got back I found out I got the job and would be making a little more. It turned out that it was the right time for us to move and everything fell into place. I love my job.

When we lived in Indianapolis we would visit disney 2-3 times a year. It was one of the main reasons we moved. The other was the weather and no state tax!!!! We visit disney every week. We have gone over there just to have dinner and watch fireworks or to ride one ride. I collect disney pins and when they release one I want I go after work to get it. We built our house where we would be able to get to Disney easily. They just have to finish the toll road and it's a straight shot. Right now it takes 30 minutes to get there. But, that's better than living 1000 miles away. We have annual passes to Sea World and Universal as well. It's so much fun going and just walking around.

Sorry this is so long. If it's meant for you to move everything will fall into place. We miss our family in Indianapolis, but we are so much happier here. The weather is much better, no snow!!!!

DivineMadness7

Is it wrong that I'm looking into going to University of Florida for Graduate School because of its closer proximity to WDW? :lookaroun

If I lived even within like, 4 hours, I'd surely have an AP. I mean, why not right?

My old roommate lives an hour from Orlando...

She thinks I'm crazy because I love WDW so much (it's not a big deal to her, because she grew up near it...)

...and I think SHE'S crazy for going to college in Pennsylvania with an average winter of 5 months when she could be living it up in sunny Florida! :lol:

HumanOddity

I live less than an hour and a half away, and we try to drive out every week or two. If we lived closer, I think we'd be there every day after work, and I honestly don't think I'd get tired of it.

RPMdfw

Originally posted by disneyqueen
We built our house where we would be able to get to Disney easily. They just have to finish the toll road and it's a straight shot.

Where did you build? Our house is being built in Ocoee right now . . .

Bill

Account Suspended
You ARE crazy. UoF is just too far from WDW. If you plan on going to WDW on weekends, you shouldn't live more then one hour away. Two hours for a monthly (if even that) visit. Trust me, the driving is insane. Plus I-4 is all torn up now. Of course, I'm not sure on the status of the turnpike. But even if it was in good condition, UoF is too far for weekend visits. Go to UCF or USF. I'm sure most people here will agree with me. However, with all this said...

You might want to forget about Disney... it shouldn't be your main choice for college. You'll have plenty of time for Disney after college. :)

DisneyFan 2000

Originally posted by Scooter
While I'm not ashamed to admit I Love Walt Disney World, and I enjoy going as often as possible, I doubt however, that I'd ever seriously consider moving to the Orlando Area.

I could deal with the hot weather because air-conditioning is never very far away.

But for myself and my family, part of the magic of going on a Disney Vacation for us is in the anticipation and the planning.

We Love watching the Disney vacation planning videos, going to the Disney Store, and buying new clothes and shoes before our trip.
We like choosing which resort we are going to stay in, what view room to get, and what we are going to do and what attractions we are going to see.

Our trips to Downtown Disney are something we look forward to every visit.

Things change a little every time we go and it's fun to find and point out all the changes and try the new things and see the new souvigniers that are available.

If we were able to jump into out car and drive to Disney World on a whim to spend an afternoon, I think it might get old after awhile. Maybe old isn't the word I'm looking for. I doubt I'd ever not enjoy being in WDW...I think maybe I meant we might lose some of the "Magic" that is the whole package... the planing, the flying, the airport, the Resorts, and then starting our planning for our next Disney vacation as soon as we get back home.

I personally have to agree with you on this! Although my next vacation will only be in about five to six years I don't mind! I love the anticipation that makes WDW so magical when you arrive! I couldn't imagine myself visiting it as if it was my local amusement park! I like the special feeling of being there once every few years! :)

DDuckFan130

Originally posted by DivineMadness7
Is it wrong that I'm looking into going to University of Florida for Graduate School because of its closer proximity to WDW? :lookaroun

If I lived even within like, 4 hours, I'd surely have an AP. I mean, why not right?

My old roommate lives an hour from Orlando...

She thinks I'm crazy because I love WDW so much (it's not a big deal to her, because she grew up near it...)

...and I think SHE'S crazy for going to college in Pennsylvania with an average winter of 5 months when she could be living it up in sunny Florida! :lol:

I actually "started" to apply to UCF because of its proximity to Disney :rolleyes: but I never sent in the application fee and so here I am two years later at FIU in Miami. Don't mind too much though. At least we can get out there 1-2 times a year, money permitting. Miami's not always peachy, but I've gotten used to it after 19 years :lol: so I'm doing just dandy. One day though, you never know I may just make my way up there with my cousin :D

symbasys

Well like most of the other posts, I too live not too far from Disney (Tampa to be exact.) I've been going to Disney since 1978 and moved to Florida in 1987. We've had annual passes for the past 3 or 4 years, and manage to get over there at least 2-3 times a month. I can't even begin to count how many times I've been to the parks, but what amazes me is that every time we go I do or see something that I never have before. With 4 theme parks, the water parks, Downtown Disney, and all the hotel properties, etc., it's hard to imagine that anyone would get bored with it. Then figure in the fact they they are constantly updating or adding things, and it becomes clear that it would take an awfully long time to exhaust all the possibilities. I say make the move! :cool:

Pixmel

Originally posted by DizWiz
Well, I guess you could call me insane, because that's pretty much what I did.

We have annual passes and we are out there pretty much every weekend. There are times when we overdose on it, so we don't go out there for a few weeks, but then we get a craving and head back to the parks. And, yes, sometimes we just head to Downtown Disney to walk around, or grab a bite to eat.

My buddy has a similar story (he moved from New Jersey), so I don't think it's all that uncommon for people to actually move to Orlando simply because of their fondness for Disney.

Maybe I'm a bit crazier than most, but I just LOVE Disney!

Nope, you're not crazy. Disney is the main reason I'm living here now. I first came to Disney two months after it opened. I was 7 at the time and have spent my whole life since then dreaming of moving to Florida and working for Disney. So, when my hometown area dried up of computer jobs for my husband, we packed up and moved here. It took me 32 years, but I'm finally working for Disney. :D

And you're right, the magic is still here for me. I still love going to the parks. I'm still as Disney crazy as I ever was and I don't ever have to stand at the MK train station on my last day of vacation crying anymore.

There are also a lot of things to do around Disney that are fun to do that you don't usually have time to do when vacationing here. Nice relaxed things to do and things that you don't even have to spend money on or at least not a lot.

You can spend an afternoon or evening at Celebration. You can take in a movie if you want for not a lot of money which has a good "hometown" theatre atmosphere. Afterwards, go next door to Herman's, get an ice cream cone and sit in the rocking chairs on the dock. Watch the ducks, sit and relax.

Spend a day at Fort Wilderness walking around or going to the petting zoo. Or..........spend a day seeing how many forms of transportation you can ride on.......park at Fort Wilderness, take a boat across to the MK or Contemporary Hotel, ride the monorail around and then take a bus back to Fort Wilderness. Or take in a day at Downtown Disney or the Boardwalk....sit, hang out, people watch and relax.

It's just nice to not have to do the "guerrilla park-hopping" anymore. We can go to Epcot, have dinner, watch Illuminations and go home. Or take in some of the special things that we'd never seen........Wine and Food Expo, the Flower Show, the Star Wars weekends, see "concerts" at the American pavillion stage, etc.

And if Disney isn't enough......why not actually go to other places that you never had time to go to as it would cut into your Disney time? :animwink:

grandmath

At Disneyland Resort Paris we only have two parks and no water parks and I go pretty much every weekend or so, well, in average 2x / month. If I lived near WDW, I don't think I would ever get bored to go there! Grab a dinner with friends at Epcot, catch a movie at Downtown Disney, take a swim at a waterpark... and so much is going on all the time, new rides, new shows, new events... I'd definately buy an annual pass!

And for the pleasure of planning and anticipate, you can always book a trip to another Disney Resort in the world, or the Cruise Line. I am looking forward to live at Val d'Europe (kinda Celebration here, even closer to the parks) as soon as I can too, and I know my perception of DLRP will be different than someone who go there once a year, but I'll simply enjoy it and I know I will always get excited to go to Florida or California, or even Tokyo! I decided that it may be a bit less special per trip if I go there often, but a lot more special in general year round.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom