IF I RAN DISNEY WORLD..

PortOrleans

Original Poster
This is a short piece (part of a series) that explains what I'd do if I ran a park. (This is just a compilation of some general things that I had. Please don't tear it apart. I'm just 17 so I'm not an expert in any regard).

In this piece, I've decided to focus on meeting expectations. Enjoy!

Transportation:

Ideals:
Clean
Fast

Guest Expectations

Clean:
Guests EXPECT clean and functional parking areas (including trash cans, light fixtures, general areas and seating areas).
Guests EXPECT clean vehicles (including courtesy trams, buses and monorails).

Meeting Expectations:

In order to meet these parking area expectations, I'd implement roaming custodial workers (each assigned to a specific area to be constantly cleaned on a routine basis) to manage trash.
To ensure cleanliness in general areas, minor maintenance periods should be put into place (less than a week and non-obstructive, completed during non-guest hours if possible) to paint railings and signage and clean lighting fixtures).

In order to meet these transportation vehicle expectations, I'd implement semi-roaming custodial workers to clean vehicle interiors (riding vehicles around to clean cabins on a continuous basis (switching from cabin to cabin at each stop on monorail) in order to maintain a clean environment.

Guest Expectations

Fast:
Guests EXPECT efficient and speedy travel.

Meeting Expectations:

In order to meet (and manage) expectations, I'd implement count-down timers at all stops (for buses and monorails) to inform guests about how long they're going to have to wait until another vehicle arrives. This can reduce frustration as guests can rest until their vehicle arrives.

Merchandise

Ideals:
Quality
Inexpensive
Variety

Idea: Merchandise should delight guests. They should be pleasantly surprised about selections, pricing.

Guests EXPECT a variety of merchandise (tailored to each area or resort).
Guests EXPECT value in their merchandise

Meeting Expectations:

In order to meet expectations, I'd reintroduce specific merchandise (tailored to each area or resort) and I'd focus on VOLUME of sales rather than price.
In order to meet value expectations, I'd aim to produce goods of the highest quality at the lowest price (whilst retaining some profit margin per usual).

Customer Service

Ideals:
Attentiveness
Courteousness
Speed
Sincerity

Guest Expectations:

Guests EXPECT quick and courteous service.
Guests EXPECT sincerity in post-accident situations.

Meeting Expectations:

In order to meet expectations, I'd retrain employees in service.
In order to ensure (or encourage) employee use of second-mile service tactics, I'd introduce a tiered pay system based upon observed performance. Those seen performing as expected should be given raises (those who aren't doing so aren't going to receive such raises).

To be continued (focusing on in-park things) later :)

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Customers' attitudes and behaviors shape lots of whats going on in the parks these days, no matter how many trash receptacles you place every 50 feet they are going to discard whatever they want wherever they are right then as it might be too inconvenient.

How can you have speedy travel even on a bus when the customers won't abide by federal regulations requiring strollers to be folded and minded?

How would you expect to keep good front line staff when they have to interact with customers who are constantly arguing with them over inane things such as ride height measurements, climbing on the scenery or the contents of food items?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
This is a short piece (part of a series) that explains what I'd do if I ran a park.

There are only a few curmudgeons that'll rain on your parade. I'm not one of them (meaning I won't make it rain - the curmudgeon part...well there are times).

Let's start with 4 parks. We'll leave out the resorts for the moment as you haven't mentioned them - Yet. Let's jump into budgets. If you had X (and let's assume X = a percentage). So you have 100% - (we'll equate to dollars later)

What are your thoughts? What goes where? And for what expense?

Haha, you left out the variable which makes this so difficult: Guests.

Don't knock the OP....let's play it through.

Last edited:

Patcheslee

Can you add 1 day a month for special needs families? Rides without the sound, shows with less noise? Sure there are ways considering the local amusement park does one every season.

Minnie Mum

...In order to meet these parking area expectations, I'd implement roaming custodial workers (each assigned to a specific area to be constantly cleaned on a routine basis) to manage trash.
In order to meet these transportation vehicle expectations, I'd implement semi-roaming custodial workers to clean vehicle interiors (riding vehicles around to clean cabins on a continuous basis (switching from cabin to cabin at each stop on monorail) in order to maintain a clean environment.
Guests EXPECT efficient and speedy travel.

In order to meet (and manage) expectations, I'd implement count-down timers at all stops (for buses and monorails) to inform guests about how long they're going to have to wait until another vehicle arrives. This can reduce frustration as guests can rest until their vehicle arrives.

Those custodial workers assigned to roam the far flung parking lots - How are they going to get there and back? How are they to get their coffee and meal breaks? What about bathroom breaks? Will you add staff facilities to every parking lot? What is the expected capital cost for those?

How are custodial workers supposed to clean trams and buses when they are in constant use from pre opening to after park close? As for the monorails, would workplace health and safety laws permit custodial workers workers to perform their duties while the monorails were in motion? How would these workers replenish their supplies?

And if transportation vehicles are to be cleaned during business hours, how does that dovetail with the guests expectations for efficient and speedy travel? Will you add additional vehicles (or monorail cars) to offset the downtime while these vehicles are cleaned? Estimates on the capital cost for that?

At a guess, what percentage increase in the Custodial operating budget do you predict as a result of your changes? I think it's great that you have ideas to improve WDW. Would love to see how far you've thought them through.

PortOrleans

Original Poster
I’m a bit busy getting things in order for back to school at the moment. However, as soon as possible I’ll try to form a good response for each person who asked. These sort of in-depth discussions are my absolute favorite :).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Those custodial workers assigned to roam the far flung parking lots - How are they going to get there and back? How are they to get their coffee and meal breaks? What about bathroom breaks? Will you add staff facilities to every parking lot? What is the expected capital cost for those?

How are custodial workers supposed to clean trams and buses when they are in constant use from pre opening to after park close? As for the monorails, would workplace health and safety laws permit custodial workers workers to perform their duties while the monorails were in motion? How would these workers replenish their supplies?

And if transportation vehicles are to be cleaned during business hours, how does that dovetail with the guests expectations for efficient and speedy travel? Will you add additional vehicles (or monorail cars) to offset the downtime while these vehicles are cleaned? Estimates on the capital cost for that?

At a guess, what percentage increase in the Custodial operating budget do you predict as a result of your changes? I think it's great that you have ideas to improve WDW. Would love to see how far you've thought them through.

According to the book Cleaning the Kingdom there were times when custodial workers would ride rides like the People Mover to cleanup messes in the cars.

DisneyDoctor

Disney may already do things similar to how you've outlined. But, as mentioned above, no matter what measures you put into place guests will be guests and act however they please. It's a bit disappointing, to be honest. Entitlement is undoubtedly a large issue at WDW.

I love your idea, though, and I look forward to reading more!

DisneyDoctor

Can you add 1 day a month for special needs families? Rides without the sound, shows with less noise? Sure there are ways considering the local amusement park does one every season.
At the risk of sounding like a huge POS, I think this is a bad idea.. Disney is on a whole different level than your local amusement park.

If over-stimulation is a huge issue for someone with a disability, I'd argue attending a theme park in general is a bad idea.

AndyS2992

-Employees can not give none stop fast service all the time. You will wear them out and they will be unhappy and leave causing high turnover and give a reputation as a bad employer. Training new people constantly for them to leave soon after is extremely expensive. Plus hints happen which slow things down and some guests don’t like being shoved through as quickly as possible.

-cheap and high quality merchandise is not a thing. Quality costs money.

-To achieve your constant cleanliness would involved employing a hell of a lot of people which would be ridiculously expensive.

I could go on. Whilst these may sound good on paper, they will not work in the real world.

daisyduckie

This goes to show how easy it sounds to run a theme park, and how hard it is in reality, when you add in actual human beings to the mix.

Shouldigo12

At the risk of sounding like a huge POS, I think this is a bad idea.. Disney is on a whole different level than your local amusement park.

If over-stimulation is a huge issue for someone with a disability, I'd argue attending a theme park in general is a bad idea.
I have to agree. This another "nice in theory, but hard to implement" idea. Disney is just too big. Unfortunately, there would probably be a lot of anger from guests who came to the parks on those days without knowing about the changes to the rides who would probably throw a fit. Especially international guests, who would be less likely to know about the special needs days. And the people who do knoe about it wouldn't come on those days. Then there's the issue of WDW being a multi day park to fully experience. The chaos of caretakers and special needs people trying to fit as much of the huge park as they can in one day would be insane and the exact kind of over stimulation you're looking to avoid.

JIMINYCR

With the vast number of guests flowing in and out of the resorts, parks, shops, various modes of transportation, you have to admit its hard to keep up with cleaning everything so it stays spotless. Disney does a decent job keeping up with it all. Custodial workers I have been told are now assigned tasks and specific areas instead of roaming freely. Some are more diligent with their assigned areas than others. They can only keep up with so much of the increased messiness of guests.
Disney has been more aware of bus routing times and have implemented a variety of ways guests can view expected arrival/ departure times. Moving so many people around such an expansive area you cant expect it to always run on exact time. waits have to be expected.
You can find a sliding variable cost of merchandise from cheap trinkets to expensive art throughout the resorts, parks and shops. The value of anything depends on the material they are made from and guests perception of how they view the item. Disneys profits on all merchandise covers their costs of purchasing, stocking, shelving and selling. I think they could be more area/resort specific in offering items instead of having so much similar merchandise throughout. And they do miss the mark on having less character represented merchandise.
I dont see CM's having a need for retraining. I view the CM's as being at the top of their game. They are well trained and provide pleasant courteous service throughout the property in all positions. They have a lot to deal with when serving unruly, angry guests that are expecting to get everything they want regardless of what they should get. I would like to see CM's have more latitude in dealing with unruly guests. Performance raises are fine with me as long as the supervisors making those judgements do them fairly. But there does come a point where pay scales reach their limits depending on the types of tasks performed.

Smiley/OCD

How about this novel idea...(yeah, I know I'm dreaming)...Just like everyone wants Disney to be a "good, corporate citizen"' how about if WE just become "good, corporate guests", drop the entitlement (not the trash), and just clean up after ourselves...all the CM payroll we could save...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom