If Flying From Newark - Fly Continental

jenjen1127

Original Poster
I have researched and researched and researched airfares for summer 2008 (August in particular) and Continental out of Newark is by far the cheapest airfare from anywhere in the New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania area to Orlando. I got roundtrip, non-stop for $118 (including all taxes, etc.). You can get that deal either on line or through Disney reservations with your hotel package. If you get it through Disney it's covered with the trip insurance. If you do it on line yourself, you probably should get the trip insurance for $45 since it is so far in advance. But even adding the $45 on when you are talking about tickets for 4 people, you save a bundle. CONTINENTAL!!!!

aeillill

Continental has pretty consistantly been the lowest fair that I've been able to find out of Newark for the last few years.

jenjen1127

Original Poster
Yeah, I finally realized that. I kept trying to get something out of Atlantic City on Spirit but you can never catch one of their so called red light specials so I booked Continental. Have you experienced delays with them?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Rob's tip:

Don't fly from Newark if at all possible :D

But if you must, Continental is the way to go

TTATraveler

Spirit out of Atlantic City was always super expensive every time I ever looked. You can get decent fares with Continental and then at certain times of the year they are outrageous. I am flying back to NJ in a few weeks for a wedding and Continental was $60 cheaper then JetBlue. However, I had a $60 credit from JetBlue due to expire, so naturally I am flying JetBlue.

I only wish Continental had comfortable seats, more legroom, and direct TV at every seat like JetBlue does.:rolleyes:

LuLaSue

We fly from Newark ALL the time and RARELY are inconvienced or unhappy. Not sure what the other poster is refering to? Do Tell...

Continental is our carrier of choice. Once or twice we encountered a small problem but, we were compensated generously. :wave:

mkt

Premium Member
I tend to base my airport choices by how much I hate the TSA and how bad of a reputation they have. EWR is one of the worst airports I've ever encountered.

LuLaSue

I tend to base my airport choices by how much I hate the TSA and how bad of a reputation they have. EWR is one of the worst airports I've ever encountered.

Sorry to hear that....stinks when you have a bad experience.:(

mkt

Premium Member
Sorry to hear that....stinks when you have a bad experience.:(
EWR, DEN, all DC airports, and DTW are among the worst. MIA and ATL are bad, but but as bad. The worst overall though are the smaller regional airports that have TSO's making their own rules

Phonedave

Newark is "my" airport, thats where I fly out of for just about anything. I fly out of EWR to go to MCO, and I also fly on business.

I have been either stranded or delayed comming into Newark in about half a dozen airports around the country. I rarely have problems leaving Newark.

Newark, much like Orlando seems to get afternoon thunderstorms in the summer. The schedule at Newark is also extremely tight. One delay just throws the whole thing into chaos.

So, when flying INTO EWR I tend to avoid the flights around 5:00 PM. That seems to be when most problems happen. Earlier in the day, not much has happened to foul things up, and later in the day they have had time to sort it out.

Having said that, I rarely have problems when fliying into Newark from MCO. I have spent the night in Tampa, been delayed 5 hours out of DFW, 3 hours out of Manchester NH, and forced to take a Metroliner train home from Regan International - but not much in the way of delays from MCO (knock on wood)

Oh, and to the OP, how are you getting these flights on Continental? What dates / times. Those are great prices. I may book them now myself.

Thanks

-dave

maelstrom

The worst overall though are the smaller regional airports that have TSO's making their own rules

I don't have much of a problem at SWF, except for last time when there was the mass hysteria over... a voice recorder. Of everything in my carry-on, that's what they were rummaging for.

MCO is the worst I've experienced.

Phonedave

Interesting. EWR is inbound delay city (at least for me) but the TSA has never been a problem there.

Yeah, sometimes their lines are a little wacky, but the screeners themselves never posed a problem for me.

They seem to be pretty quick too, and aware of what flights are going when. I was on a first out flight to DC once, I got there about 2 hours early, and ran into a wall of people. I thought "Oh great, I am going to miss my meeting" but then the screeners announced that all people for the 6:50 AM Continental to DC should get in a line of their own. They pulled us and and got us through to our gate with time to spare.

-dave

TTATraveler

Interesting. EWR is inbound delay city (at least for me) but the TSA has never been a problem there.

Yeah, sometimes their lines are a little wacky, but the screeners themselves never posed a problem for me.

They seem to be pretty quick too, and aware of what flights are going when. I was on a first out flight to DC once, I got there about 2 hours early, and ran into a wall of people. I thought "Oh great, I am going to miss my meeting" but then the screeners announced that all people for the 6:50 AM Continental to DC should get in a line of their own. They pulled us and and got us through to our gate with time to spare.

-dave

That's probably because Continental dominates the A-2 satellite. Jet Blue only has the two gates, with the remaining 8 or so gates for Continental. So since the majority of people going through A-2 security are for Continental, my guess is the TSA controls the line and prioritizes people if there is a time crunch.

Phonedave

That's probably because Continental dominates the A-2 satellite. Jet Blue only has the two gates, with the remaining 8 or so gates for Continental. So since the majority of people going through A-2 security are for Continental, my guess is the TSA controls the line and prioritizes people if there is a time crunch.

Makes sense to me. Personaly I would much rather be in C, but it seems most of my business trips are to DFW or DC

-dave

TTATraveler

Makes sense to me. Personaly I would much rather be in C, but it seems most of my business trips are to DFW or DC

-dave

So would I. Of course you have no choice if you fly JetBlue. I got stuck in A back in May flying Continental Back from Daytona Beach because the plane I was on was flying on to Atlanta. The only good thing about A is that it is easier to get out of there instead of waiting in a long line of cars and Chaos at C.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom