Trip Report If At First You Don't Succeed...*COMPLETED*

Well we're trying again.

Easter week at WDW.

Not my favorite week to visit but when your travel buddy is a teacher, you make the sacrifice. Except this year it doesn't feel like a sacrifice. The loss of our Easter 2020 vacation (thanks to COVID) was harder than I expected. I’m excited to have the chance for a do-over!

Of course the plans we had in 2020 aren't the same for 2021. We'll have no Fastpasses to skip the long lines. There will be no turkey sammie for lunch at Be Our Guest or All-American Sundae from the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor. No fireworks to conclude our Disney days. And we'll be staying at a different resort.

But that's all okay....there's still fun to be had! And thanks to the credit we received from last year's cancellation, most of our trip is already paid.

I have to give David's Vacation Club Rentals props. Eighteen months ago I'd signed a "no refunds" contract for our 2020 points rental, figuring it was a low-risk gamble. When the pandemic happened and WDW closed, we considered our monies lost ~ disappointing for sure, but understanding that was the result of the risk we took. After all, David's is a business which would also lose money from this pandemic. Legally they did not have to do anything for us. Yet I received a travel voucher for the full amount we paid.

I hope to report live on the adventures of Tuvalu and Em beginning next Sunday. Time will tell if I succeed. ;)

3D585BEC-14E4-4156-9423-5BCD6271BEF2.jpeg

(Must have been a Callan photo shoot. :hilarious:)

Songbird76

Winner winner burnt ends nachos dinner! (Give it to James 😉.)

Em and I are seated at the cutest table in front of a fireplace.

View attachment 545904

Our server’s name is Dale. Before he speaks a word I say, “Where’s Chip?”

Without missing a beat he says, “He works at the Front Desk in the Yacht Club.”

Dale goes on to say he used to work at Ale and Compass. Whenever a guest was silly like me and asked about Chip, Dale would page Chip to the restaurant.

Then Dale throws some straws at us and to get our waters.

View attachment 545905
He banters with the others in our section. It’s nice to see some “fun” back at Whispering Canyon.

The nachos are especially tasty tonight. @Loco_driver I hope you have an ADR during your next trip!!

View attachment 545906

Em cleans her plate. I have a few chips left on mine and Dale pretends to force feed me. I explain I need to save room for dessert.

He brings us the chocolate molten lava cake. Em and I devour it.

View attachment 545907

We leave the restaurant with happy bellies!
I LOVE WCC!! The CMs there are awesome! That's been one of my favorite memories of our last two trips, not because of the food, but just the interactions with cast members. Sounds like Dale was great! I wonder how often people ask about Chip...

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I LOVE WCC!! The CMs there are awesome! That's been one of my favorite memories of our last two trips, not because of the food, but just the interactions with cast members. Sounds like Dale was great! I wonder how often people ask about Chip...

So sorry about the crappy wifi. We’ve had the same problem at Boardwalk in past visits. The touringplans podcast recently suggested that disney is slowly upgrading that, but it’s very frustrating in the meantime.
No reason for poor speed in this day and age. Especially at a pricey resort.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday, April 7

Some early morning shots around the Polynesian.

8735D784-CB7E-4EB9-8E01-66D5CFBCD075.jpeg

There is a gentleman using his laptop at one of the tables at the pool.

“WiFi ‘s a lot better out here isn’t it?” I remark.

“Yup!” he replies.

27740F72-06FF-4CC2-9380-C9F94D55176F.jpeg

Lava pool isn’t open yet.

74E5816F-3E6E-49E1-81A1-35A47C105EBB.jpeg

The children’s splash pad is closed for refurbishment. Note the fence on the right.

5E6B3116-F1ED-4106-8C7D-E2F805B02275.jpeg

Heading in to pick up muffins. Hope these aren’t stale.

CAD3FAF4-8FEC-4A5F-8EAE-DD18D1AC7532.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Many paths along the resort grounds are currently blocked due to the ongoing construction/room refurbishment. I wonder if these new signs are a result of it.

DDF40D9C-8D9A-4744-A2A4-CB727FF39618.jpeg

C603C53A-465C-4FCE-8220-416EDED00EEF.jpeg

Workers begin their day at one of the closed longhouses. We haven’t noticed any noise, even when we were at the pool.

CD88D492-BF7F-44B1-B7AB-2E2A76E7869E.jpeg

FB22BF9A-EAF3-4BB4-B288-A33727CD192A.jpeg

Room windows are covered with paper.

54E182A0-B4A7-4775-9E0C-2701BFF704AF.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Em bites into a muffin.

“This is a thousand times better than the muffin from Movies!” she proclaims.

Indeed. The muffins are very fresh. As they should be.

She has a few interview sessions this morning. We plan to hit the pool afterwards.

Summer Floating GIF by Disney

lindawdw

I just read all your updates from the beginning of your live TR and have enjoyed following along as usual!!! You ladies have so much fun together which reminds me of when I travel with my daughter too! All Star refurbishment looked so nice although the food court set up seems like a nightmare at peak times. Love that you're back at the Poly as I know how much you enjoy your stays there. We drove over there in February for a visit to the gift shop when we stayed at BLT and couldn't get over all the construction going on around the resort. I do look forward to a future DVC stay there once it's all completed. Even with the crowds throughout the parks, you really accomplished so much! We tend to look at the lines that seem to go on forever and just shake our heads and say no thanks but it seems like the lines moved along pretty quickly! I love that you got to go through CHH for PP as that's our favorite CS restaurant in MK and we are missing it so much on our trips. We would always grab a table in the side room that overlooks the PP attraction line. Glad the weather has been so nice for you and you're enjoying your pool time too! Can't wait to hear more about your trip! 🥰

38053WDW

We had to wait 25 minutes before entering the briefing room. It was a slow walk through the queue, but moving from distance marker to distance marker isn’t hard.

Unless you are a young adult male fixated on your phone. Then you just keep walking into the party ahead of you....Every. Time. The. Line. Moves. Forward.

We were that party. And by the sixth time, I’d had enough.

Get Away Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

“Your distance marker is back there,” I pointed.

And Em wished she could disappear. :hilarious:
My eye doctor says to me " At least they don't tell them what gets in though the eyes!" ....

slipperalwaysfits

And the only thing worse than giant lagoon tacos is a giant loop that resembles something Evel Knievel would jump through on his motorcycle.

O Canada, you are especially lovely during Flower and Garden.
Okay, I've been following diligently but haven't had a chance to post.
Em and I always wear our masks. (“No Mom, at Disney they are face coverings.” I stand corrected.) Sadly the same cannot be said by many people we’ve seen today.
Exactly! I feel like the new photo rules will make mask-wearing even more lackadasical.
While you likely guessed Beaches and Cream (@Nunu 😉), bet you didn’t guess we are having dinner with
@ajrwdwgirl!
YES! Beaches and Cream is the best! So glad you got to have a magical meet-up!

So the woman in front of us at Saucers spilled all the contents of her backpack on the ground (including open bags of single serving chips) when attempting to find an iPad to give to her daughter (who was wearing her face covering on her chin) to keep her occupied while in line.
OH MY WORD. This stuff drives me crazy! And when they spill everything out, it holds up the line while the person tries to put it all back in their bag. And the girl used the Ipad for a second. How ridiculous. I would hope kids waiting in line at WDW learn patience

So glad your Poly muffins are better than All-Star's! Good luck to Em with the wi-fi today!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
There are a fair number of people here and there’s a CM with a capacity chart checking for available chair “groupings”.

There’s another CM whose job it is to wipe down vacated chairs.

We’ve claimed our loungers.

C208185C-EFAA-4237-A952-46E5B3CF6337.jpeg

Pool temp and air temp were about the same when we arrived. The sun has since warmed things up.....which is good because I didn’t get cold once I left the water.

513D36FA-BB96-4753-A264-BFA951519A9C.jpeg

sheriffwoody

Em wants to be a mermaid.

On our way to the sea, I notice that her favorite gift store in Fantasyland has reopened.

Of course we must check it out!

View attachment 545798

Well much of the Beauty and the Beast merchandise is gone, replaced by Disney Art.

View attachment 545799

We always enjoy browsing the art, even if it is too $$ for our budget.

I really like this one. For sentimental reasons. ❤️

View attachment 545801

I like the next two also.

@Loco_driver which one is your favorite?

How about you, @sheriffwoody?

View attachment 545800

View attachment 545813
I have that first CB one!! It's one of my 8 prints from that artist :hilarious:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Lunch from Capt. Cooks.

Em has a cheeseburger with house-made Poly chips. The chips are a combination of kettle cooked potato chips and fried wontons.

The wontons are the BEST and are typically fewer in number than the chips. Today it’s the reverse. Em is extra happy as am I, since I feel no guilt in helping myself to a couple wontons.

8BDB0443-D408-4C60-A8CB-A09D40A295E3.jpeg

My meal is a disappointment. The Asian noodle salad has never let me down....until now.

As we unpack our lunch bag, Em notices the salad is no longer in a box (which is an ok substitute for a bowl) but on a large paper plate. And it is missing the chicken I paid extra for.

So I have to re-mask and drag myself back to Cooks, follow the safety protocols once I arrive, and show my receipt which proves I added chicken.

The CM retrieves a small bag of chicken from a cook and says he can dump the chicken on top IF I remove the plastic cover over the salad.

Whatever.

This is the end result.

E8F2931F-FF01-4AB0-81AA-A0A6D161A0BC.jpeg

Of course I have no knife with which to cut the chicken (not going back to Cooks AGAIN) and since it has not been mixed into the miso dressing, the chicken tastes very bland.

Actually there is very little dressing and the whole salad tastes bland. Even the grape tomatoes have no flavor.

Not to mention the difficulty of eating slippery long noodles off a plate.

Sigh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom