ID for a toddler on Southwest Airlines

TrentMom

Hi All. Has anyone flown on Southwest recently with a toddler? My DH and I are going to WDW with our DS, who is 2 and a half yrs old. I swore I read on their website, that no on under 16 needs an id. Then, a friend of mine who flew on another airline with a 2 yr old was given a hard time because she did not have id for her daugther. I just want to be prepared.

So, does anyone know do I need id for my DS?:veryconfu

Thanks
Trentmom
18 Days!!!!:slurp: :slurp:

westie

Yeah, i remember a girl just like you crying at the airport. You better have a birth certificate and a letter of parental consent with a Notary stamp if even considering flying out of state. Imagine trying to register at a hospital? No, you need more!

Upvote 0

maharet97a

I've never flown Southwest, but my hubby and I have been flying with our daughters since the oldest was 2 months old and have never been asked for an ID for the children. The oldest will be three in June, and again when we flew home for our Feb WDW trip, we were not asked to present an ID for her or her little sis. We've flown Delta, United, American, US Airways and Continental and have never been asked for anything other than boarding passes when boarding or going thru security. I would definitely check with the airline before leaving though. It may be an airport policy, but I can't imagine why they would. With the exception of passports for international travel, I have never heard of ID being needed for a child.

Upvote 0

Ciciwoowoo

I have a photo id for my son from school that I always carry with me. He even used to get one as a toddler from his daycare. It's one of those missing children ids. They are really good to have, just in case, IMO.

Maybe check with the Walmart photo department about getting one?

Just to be safe, if I were you, I'd carry a birth certificate. I figure its a very easy thing to carry and can save you a lot of misery, just in case you need it.

Upvote 0

AngryEyes

We've flown all over the country with our children from toddler to 12 and never been asked for an ID.

From the Southwest website:

Southwest Airlines' Customers will need valid state or federal government-issued picture identification<SUP>1</SUP> to travel (passport, driver's license, state-issued identification card, or military identification are acceptable).
<SUP>1</SUP>Customers under 18 years of age are not required to show government-issued photo ID

Upvote 0

DME

I've flown with my child on Southwest. If their under 2 and flying free...you need a birth certificate to prove that they're under 2. Older than two....they don't need id.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We've been asked for ID for our oldest on various airlines starting when she was 13. She usually has her school ID and now her driver's permit, but we weren't refused entry if she did not have it.

Just a word of caution...do not bring an original birth certificate with you. Use a copy and carry it on your person. You don't want to have to go thru the hassle of replacing it. :wave:

Upvote 0

thrupaytonseyes

We've traveled on Southwest a few times with our 3 year old and have never been asked for ID.

As far as a notary letter that is only needed if there is just one of the parents traveling with the child AND if it is an out of country flight not out of state.

Upvote 0

NTI2002

if the check in agent gives you a hard time abotu your toddler's Identification, just immediately have your child take a dump in his or her diaper, then promptly remove the diaper and hand it to the agent and say "here's your identification go and run a DNA scan" then take your tickets form his hand and get on your plane

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

DME said:
I've flown with my child on Southwest. If their under 2 and flying free...you need a birth certificate to prove that they're under 2. Older than two....they don't need id.

Bring the birth certificate to be on the safe side because if there is any feeling that your child does not look the age you say, SW will request the birth certificate. I watch Airline which follows the practices of SW and I have seen too many parents miss their flights because they did not have a birth certificate for their toddler.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

I agree with Ringo8n24 because I've seen those episodes of Airline also.

But your child is 2 1/2, so she should have a ticket. IF she does, she won't need ID.

However, if you are trying to sneak her in as a lap child, then you will probably be asked for a birth certificate. (I am NOT In any way suggesting that you are trying to beat the system and are anything less than honest. But some people don't hold themselves to very high standards.)

IMHO, it's worth whatever the ticket costs NOT to have to hold the kid on my lap!

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I agree that I've never been asked for an ID for my kids when they were younger. Once they get to school age, you might want to bring their school ID with them, but it's not entirely necessary. We did, however bring a copy of their birth certificates when they were younger though because both kids were big for their age, so any place that let kids 3 and under in free would have proof of their age.

Upvote 0

coltow

DME said:

This is true with any airline. If your child is going to be sitting in your lap (unticketed) you will most likely have to prove your child is under 2. If you cannot prove it they may make you buy a ticket for them. Just like I would never travel without my license, I always take my son's birth certificate too.

I have travelled a few times with my son who's almost 2 1/2. Even though at 22 months he could have flown for free I still bought him a ticket so that he had his own seat and I could strap him into his car seat for the flight. Most airlines will give "infants" a discounted rate because it's safer for them to be seatbelted in than in your lap.

Upvote 0

robynchic

If you have enough time, see about getting a passport for her. It's a federal ID, so it's completely valid. Plus, if you go out of the country while it's still valid, you won't have to worry about it.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

robynchic said:
If you have enough time, see about getting a passport for her. It's a federal ID, so it's completely valid. Plus, if you go out of the country while it's still valid, you won't have to worry about it.

True, but...

That's about $100, and for young children they're only good for 5 years or so (too lazy to look it up).

Unless you anticipate foreign travel (remembering that in 2007 trips to Mexico will require a passport) this is, IMHO, an unnecessary expense. Certified copies of birth certificates are around $10.

I'm 47 and have NEVER had a passport.

Some of us live lives of quiet desperation..........

Upvote 0

TrentMom

Original Poster
AngryEyes said:
We've flown all over the country with our children from toddler to 12 and never been asked for an ID.

From the Southwest website:

Southwest Airlines' Customers will need valid state or federal government-issued picture identification<SUP>1</SUP> to travel (passport, driver's license, state-issued identification card, or military identification are acceptable).
<SUP>1</SUP>Customers under 18 years of age are not required to show government-issued photo ID

Thanks for info. I will bring a copy of his birth certificate anyways, just for peace of mind...

Thanks all

17 more days!!1

Upvote 0

TrentMom

Original Poster
tigsmom said:
We've been asked for ID for our oldest on various airlines starting when she was 13. She usually has her school ID and now her driver's permit, but we weren't refused entry if she did not have it.

Just a word of caution...do not bring an original birth certificate with you. Use a copy and carry it on your person. You don't want to have to go thru the hassle of replacing it. :wave:

Thanks Tigmom. I will make a copy of it tomorrow....

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom