ICS Weekends: Disney Debates

IAmNotAHufflepuff

How did I know :p

Besides Paradise Pier and Chester's and Hesters are there any areas of Disney parks with carnival games? Now I'm genuinely curious :)

No, I think it's just those two.

The worst one I've ever experienced is at Six Flags Magic Mountain. It's right smack in the middle of what SHOULD be the most out of the way and peaceful area of the park. It also totally ruins the DC theme as you transition from Batman/Green Lantern over to Riddler's Revenge.

It is Six Flags after all! :D

Also, a spoiler alert here, there will be 1-2 Six Flags challenges in the Road Trip! ;)

TheOriginalTiki

Actually the games area in Discovery Kingdom is a lot less destructive to the flow of the path/theme of the area. They essentially put the games right next to the main food area, so it's all a bunch of food and games spread out over a stretch by the lake. I'd honestly take something like this any day over say Islands of Adventure where there's all kinds of games between rides and it throws off the theme left and right!

KingOfEpicocity

Mullohand Madness
Its true, this ride is confusing story wise. its ill themed and very dissapointing. but you cant deny the fact that it would be a fun ride. not Disney quality, but still a good time.

Boardwalk Games
These may have been an eyesoar. But they were themed to the beach. they had a place in the story. at least they knew thei identity, just plain and simple, boardwalk games. Like you might actually see on a boardwalk. and its not like this was one of the parks anchoring attractions like California screamin' or of course Superstar limo

The reason why superstar limo is the WORST DCA 1.0 attraction is because of its need to be good. the park had little to no disney charm, and what it desperately needed was a classic dark ride to draw crowds to the hollywood section. but the ride failed on all accounts. It failed to be a good ride, it failed to have a cohesive story, it failed to draw any crowds. it had a creepy, stale feeling that the the games or mullohand could satisfy in. It wasnt fun or enjoyable. it was a forgettable disaster. So much time and effort was put into making something that was honestly terrible. Which is why it was the worst attraction at DCA 1.0.

TheOriginalTiki

Relatively speaking, Madness was a decent coaster with some clever if minimal theme. I think it actually fit into the area better than Sky School does given that entire corner of Paradise Pier with Dinosaur Jack was themed around Route 66 and road trips. The freeway angle to Madness makes much more sense even if Sky School is an overall better attraction. It's a family coaster for kids who couldn't go on Screamin'. It served its purpose well in this regard, and it's even a nice step in between Gadget's Go Coaster and a large scale "Mountain" coaster in terms of thrill level.

Superstar Limo might have been a trainwreck, but as demonstrated in our recent Who's Park is it Anyways video, it was a fascinating trainwreck and something truly unique to the vision of the original DCA 1.0. For as bad as the attraction was, it's kind of taken on a legacy as "The Room" of theme park attractions to a certain extent.

Games of the Boardwalk on the other hand, is an off the shelf straight to DVD Steven Segall late in his career action movie where absolutely no love and effort was put into any of the production, and it was churned out for one reason and one reason only.

On top of that, Games of the Boardwalk absolutely spits in the face of Walt's vision for Disneyland. I understand that original boardwalks have these games, but there's classier ways of doing something like this. They could have done a nice ski ball game room inside a domed air conditioned structure for example.

Instead they chose to go the absolute cheapest route possible resulting in some of the most utterly uninspired and cynical corners of any Disney park. Toy Story Mania is an example of the "midway" theme being done right and is a home run with guests. Games of the Boardwalk is a horrid example of trying to slap the midway theme on it without putting any actual effort into the actual product. It's fitting that the only other area of a Disney park to have these types games is Chester and Hesters...arguably the most hated area in Disney history.

spacemt354

Chili's
So I think everyone has said what they have to say...and so that it doesn't go on too long...i think I'll make a ruling.

This one is tough though...but the winner is based on the arguments, not my personal opinion (which I will disclose at the end is different)

Mulholland Madness (Puff) - I think both King and Tiki made a good point that while it might not be the best theme in the world, it fit the theme of California. And its successor (Goofy's Sky School) is actually worse because it doesn't know if it's Paradise Pier or Condor Flats or even relevant to the park. So while you gave a good argument for why it's not good...I think the other debaters did a better job at saying why yours wasn't the worst.

Boardwalk Games (Tiki) - at first I was skeptical of this one even being counted as an "attraction", but it was on the map so it's fine. The two other debaters made very good points, especially in regards to thematic inclusion. I mean...boardwalk games on the boardwalk? It's not as if it's in the wrong place (like Chester/Hester). It's also not the only one, though was the first, as the park opened Feb 2001 and Chester/Hester opened in Nov 2001. With that said, you made a solid point about advertising this big addition to Disney parks and that the boardwalk games are a representation of how "cheap" the park ended up being.

Superstar Limo (King) - I think you started out strong with this option. But I think the others made some interesting counter points to this option, mostly that while not the best dark ride in the world...it is a dark ride. It at least attempted to be something. Then again I also think you made a good point that this ride needed to be good. People actually put effort into this...while the other two options took very little thought whatsoever, and it was just terrible. However, the others again countered well, saying that it's kinda become a lovable awful attraction, one that we can now joke about, and at least attempted to be something.

So as you can see even in the reviews, this was a really good debate and all three of you made good points, and I've been wavering. While this isn't actually my choice of worst attraction...based on the arguments, the winner is...

TheOriginalTiki

For full discloser, my choice is Superstar Limo. But I think the others made a solid counter to the fact that DCA 1.0 - the worst thing we take away from it is that it showed very little creative effort. While a complete mess in Superstar Limo, and my worst attraction, at least it tried. :p

spacemt354

Chili's
Yessir it is!

Tiki has The Rescuers Down Under
Puff has Big Hero 6
KingofEpicocity has Tron...before we start I'm going to count this one as computer animation...but since it combines elements of Live-Action I think you would be better off picking a completely animated film. Because if I was a debater - that would be the first thing I would poke a hole in:p;)

Anyone who wants to start with the opening statements may do so!

KingOfEpicocity

Yessir it is!

Tiki has The Rescuers Down Under
Puff has Big Hero 6
KingofEpicocity has Tron...before we start I'm going to count this one as computer animation...but since it combines elements of Live-Action I think you would be better off picking a completely animated film. Because if I was a debater - that would be the first thing I would poke a hole in:p;)

Anyone who wants to start with the opening statements may do so!

i know its not REALLY animated. but its like 90% green screen... is that cheating??

IAmNotAHufflepuff

Big Hero 6, in my opinion, is just ripe for a theme park attraction.

The beautiful streets and skyline of San Frantokyo is perfect for a high-speed chase or for a thrilling flight above. The superhero action of the film is phenomenal.. just think of a motion-based dark ride combining the action and the atmosphere.

Combining the setting, lovable characters, and action of the amazing flick, Big Hero 6 would serve as an amazing attraction that would clearly be a favorite.
------------------

Sorry y'all, but I don't really have much to say here..

KingOfEpicocity

Really my argument comes from my love of the tron movies. the beauty and originality of the landscapes and story is just phenominal.
Tron-Legacy-movie-image-211.jpg

imagine entering flynns and traveling to the grid. Riding on a light cycle or a solar sailer. Its such a unique and beautiful world that i think deserves its own spot in a disney park.
Tomorrow%2B2.png

i understand they're already making a tron themed ride in shanghai. but i would rather have the full experience, from Flynn's to end of line here in the states.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom