I think I'm starting to regret booking.

fbp

Selected updates on Disneyland closures during April and May from Disney for anyone interested. I'm checking regularly so I might as well share.
These will probably be different next week.

March 3rd update:

IASW - Jan 21st-April 9th, April 21st - May 29th
Big Thunder - Open April 1st
Alice in Wonderland - March 10th - July 3rd
Indy - March 17th - May 8th
Mermaid - March 20th - May 9th
It's Tough to Be a Bug - March 31st - April 18th
Grizzly River Run - April 21st - June 19th
Pirates -April 28th - May 22nd
Space - May 12th - June 26th
Soarin' - Nothing Scheduled

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Selected updates on Disneyland closures during April and May from Disney for anyone interested. I'm checking regularly so I might as well share.

March 3rd update:

Yep. PotC is debatable at this point. BB is booking thru the first few days in May (as far as the schedule extends). On another forum people are reporting they called DL dining to ask about BB being open during the refurb & dining is saying the refurb is pushed out again. They haven't indicated to when it's pushed. If you recall, the initial reports stating Pirates would be down in April came from guests calling to ask about BB during the February (?) refurb dates and dining saying it was pushed to April. It was at least a week or 2 before the interactive map confirmed it. Interesting to say the least. I'm keeping an eye on it. We were going to have a day to ride before it went down even if they keep the current PotC schedule. But, I'm starting to think this one isn't going to happen. Not for these dates.

fbp

Yep. PotC is debatable at this point. BB is booking thru the first few days in May (as far as the schedule extends). On another forum people are reporting they called DL dining to ask about BB being open during the refurb & dining is saying the refurb is pushed out again. They haven't indicated to when it's pushed. If you recall, the initial reports stating Pirates would be down in April came from guests calling to ask about BB during the February (?) refurb dates and dining saying it was pushed to April. It was at least a week or 2 before the interactive map confirmed it. Interesting to say the least. I'm keeping an eye on it. We were going to have a day to ride before it went down even if they keep the current PotC schedule. But, I'm starting to think this one isn't going to happen. Not for these dates.

Very interesting indeed! We were thinking of rearranging our Cali trip a bit to be at Disneyland on the 27th in order to ride POTC, but it would be great if it wasn't necessary.

harveyt0206

I was laughing at you all adding a day at the start of your trip in order to ride Pirate's. That is sooooo something that we would do. We just got back from our first Disneland Resort trip and we had several "big ticket" items down during our trip. BTMRR, Splash, Small World, Fantasmic!, Aladdin and the Subs were all down. Even with all of that, we ended up having a great time. Disneyland is absolutely charming. New Orleans Square alone was a big win with us. Pirates ended up being our favorite attraction. It really is worlds better than the WDW version (I know I'm not breaking any big news by saying that...but bear with me). We loved our meal at Blue Bayou. Best meal of our trip. Indian Jones...un-freaking-believable. Hubby and I spent umpteen hours debating whether we loved Indy more than Pirates (I know...everyone is super jealous of our deep conversations).

Another surprise to us was how much we ended up loving California Adventure. The park is beautiful. We rode Radiator Racers three times during our five day trip. I anticipated being "blown away" by the intense theming and rock work of this attraction, but honestly, neither pictures nor the descriptions I read before arriving really did it justice. Gorgeous beyond words. Disney broke the mold on this one. We also splurged for the World of Color dining package and I'm so glad we did. With Fantasmic! Being down, we took full advantage of seeing World of Color and, not to overuse this phrase, but we "fell in love" with this show. I was really bummed to miss Fantasmic, but World of Color completely made up for it. Plus, The fireworks show at Disneyland, "Remember....Dreams Come True" was "maybe" better than Wishes, but I honestly haven't decided.

Also, we rode Soarin' a bunch of times due to its low wait times, usually 15-20 minutes, which is simply unheard of at WDW. That was a win for us.

As others have mentioned, even with some big ticket items down, we still had a wonderful trip and I am really glad we didn't cancel. But I'm glad you are going for an extra day so that you can guarantee a ride on Pirates. Totally worth it in my opinion. We would have been extremely disappointed if we had missed it.

Californian Elitist

I was laughing at you all adding a day at the start of your trip in order to ride Pirate's. That is sooooo something that we would do. We just got back from our first Disneland Resort trip and we had several "big ticket" items down during our trip. BTMRR, Splash, Small World, Fantasmic!, Aladdin and the Subs were all down. Even with all of that, we ended up having a great time. Disneyland is absolutely charming. New Orleans Square alone was a big win with us. Pirates ended up being our favorite attraction. It really is worlds better than the WDW version (I know I'm not breaking any big news by saying that...but bear with me). We loved our meal at Blue Bayou. Best meal of our trip. Indian Jones...un-freaking-believable. Hubby and I spent umpteen hours debating whether we loved Indy more than Pirates (I know...everyone is super jealous of our deep conversations).

Another surprise to us was how much we ended up loving California Adventure. The park is beautiful. We rode Radiator Racers three times during our five day trip. I anticipated being "blown away" by the intense theming and rock work of this attraction, but honestly, neither pictures nor the descriptions I read before arriving really did it justice. Gorgeous beyond words. Disney broke the mold on this one. We also splurged for the World of Color dining package and I'm so glad we did. With Fantasmic! Being down, we took full advantage of seeing World of Color and, not to overuse this phrase, but we "fell in love" with this show. I was really bummed to miss Fantasmic, but World of Color completely made up for it. Plus, The fireworks show at Disneyland, "Remember....Dreams Come True" was "maybe" better than Wishes, but I honestly haven't decided.

Also, we rode Soarin' a bunch of times due to its low wait times, usually 15-20 minutes, which is simply unheard of at WDW. That was a win for us.

As others have mentioned, even with some big ticket items down, we still had a wonderful trip and I am really glad we didn't cancel. But I'm glad you are going for an extra day so that you can guarantee a ride on Pirates. Totally worth it in my opinion. We would have been extremely disappointed if we had missed it.

Out of curiosity, what made Pirates your favorite over Indiana Jones for you?

harveyt0206

Out of curiosity, what made Pirates your favorite over Indiana Jones for you?

Honestly, I think it came down to the fact that it just feels like a complete, "old school" dark ride. I'm sure nostalgia played a part. We loved the lighting and the effects, plus there is just sooo much to look at and take in, you see something new on each ride through. Indy has many of those same features, but you are moving so fast it's tough to take it all in. Indy definitely has way more "wow" factor than Pirates. Like I said, it was a tough call, but I adore a good dark ride and Pirates just hit every target in my book.

PolynesianPrincess

So glad you had an awesome time even with all those rides being down. When I first read how many rides were going under the knife while we were there, I was really bummed and upset. But the more I looked at the other stuff, I realized there will be a lot of attractions that WILL be open while we're there that WDW doesn't have. I got to thinking "what would we have done before the internet was here and we were able to find refurbs on here?" I mean, we wouldn't have known until we got there. What would we have done? We would have sucked it up and made the most of our time there despite a few big rides being down. So that's exactly what we're going to do this time! And I know it will be a blast! It's a new experience, we will have great company (we will be doing the WOC dining package with @sweetpee_1993 and her family .. plus some nights at Trader Sam's for some adult sodas! ;) ) and there will still be LOTS of stuff for us to see and take in. Each day I'm getting more and more excited! :D

harveyt0206

So glad you had an awesome time even with all those rides being down. When I first read how many rides were going under the knife while we were there, I was really bummed and upset. But the more I looked at the other stuff, I realized there will be a lot of attractions that WILL be open while we're there that WDW doesn't have. I got to thinking "what would we have done before the internet was here and we were able to find refurbs on here?" I mean, we wouldn't have known until we got there. What would we have done? We would have sucked it up and made the most of our time there despite a few big rides being down. So that's exactly what we're going to do this time! And I know it will be a blast! It's a new experience, we will have great company (we will be doing the WOC dining package with @sweetpee_1993 and her family .. plus some nights at Trader Sam's for some adult sodas! ;) ) and there will still be LOTS of stuff for us to see and take in. Each day I'm getting more and more excited! :D

I'm really not trying to make light of the fact that so many things are going to be down during your visit. I completely sympathize. First of all, it's not cheap. To spend that much money, it's not wrong to have certain expectations and hopes. But with that being said, I'm really glad you have decided to keep your trip. I do think you will have a blast. Plus, you have the added bonus of hanging out with one of your best Disney buds. :)

Do you know which restaurant you will be going to for your World of Color package? We chose Trattoria and it was awesome. Great service and our meal was delicious.

PolynesianPrincess

I'm really not trying to make light of the fact that so many things are going to be down during your visit. I completely sympathize. First of all, it's not cheap. To spend that much money, it's not wrong to have certain expectations and hopes. But with that being said, I'm really glad you have decided to keep your trip. I do think you will have a blast. Plus, you have the added bonus of hanging out with one of your best Disney buds. :)

Do you know which restaurant you will be going to for your World of Color package? We chose Trattoria and it was awesome. Great service and our meal was delicious.

Yeah, I kind of feel like with so many things down Disney should give us a discount!!! :D hah after all, you are paying for the rides and attractions and shows so having so many down should mean a lower price!!!

I kid, I kid (sort of...) but yes, we will have fun. We're havign dinner at Carthay Circle. I've read pretty decent reviews so I'm pretty excited.

Howe

Kelly! Didn't realize you guys were planning a DL trip! Austin and I just started planning one for late May because we realized we had enough hilton points to stay for free!! I'm so excited, but this thread has me a little worried too! Either way I know I'll love it, I'm all about the atmosphere anyways! And trader sam's is calling my name!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
@harveyt0206 , LOL! You know me! Actually, backing up a day only nets us the first half of Sunday for more park(s) time. Saturday we won't bother. For us its more about the time on vacation. More time is always better, right??? Loved hearing your thoughts! I've been thinking of y'all hoping your trip went swimmingly. Sounds like it did. So bummed we won't get Indy but its a good excuse to go back. Any excuse is a good one! Hahaha!

@Howe , oh man! I so wish we could line up dates! Yep yep! Disneyland or bust this spring! I've never even been to California. Neither have the boys. We're so pumped! I know its a lot of days for what people say is sufficient for the west parks but we aren't just going for the parks. You know me. I'm looking for the resort experience & relaxation in addition to the fun-in-parks. ;)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
@sweetpee_1993
Ok, here was the closure list for my trip...I mentioned a lot was closed, but I had to go dig up the whole list so you'd get an idea...

Missed the Golden Horseshoe Review Limited Time Magic revival by 1 day
Fantasmic was closed (they had the Rivers of America drained for maintenance, new jet and effects installs)
Small World
Splash Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain
Muppets 3D
Mad Tea Party
Mark Twain
Grizzly River Run
Silly Symphony Swings
Cafe Orleans (a place I really wanted to eat at...I wanted a Monte Cristo!)

Well, we are getting into the phase where we can start nailing down plans, as Disney is announcing final dates for things during our trip.

Some of the things I am going to post I have mentioned and discussed with AusDisneyFan (so no news to her), some I have mentioned in brief in other threads, and some are new...so, if I am repetitive, apologies in advance!

So, I want to talk about the stuff we probably WON'T be able to do. Not meant negatively, as I have said before, just another excuse to come back!

The first is something I just found about today.

For "Limited Time Magic" Disney has reintroduced the Golden Horseshow Revue. Now, I remember vaguely as a kid seeing this as the Diamond Horseshoe Jamboree (RIP Wally Boag). Today, the "seasonal opening" of that restaurant disappoints me still, and every trip I have been it is always closed...though I have read there is no longer a show, rather a lonely player piano and bad food. Every time I walk by the Venue with my kid on a visit, I look over and my heart pangs as I recall a vague childhood memory of dancing ladies in funny dresses, and comedians, and live music, and how much I enjoyed it. This may have been part of why I enjoyed the Hoop de Doo so much on my last trip (dirty tables aside). The show at WDW has been gone a long time.

Now, at DisneyLand, where the "mother venue" lives, the Golden Horseshoe Saloon, various shows ran up until 2003, and specialty events, like fundraisers, after that. Imagine my surprise when I saw this!

I was so curious! What were the dates? Would they re-enact some of Wally Boag's famous skits? Well, the answer to the latter is no, and the answer to the former is...we are going to miss it by ONE day! It ends on Feb 4, and that is when we arrive! Well, we could make it work.

I could change up my flight times...which I suppose I could do, and if we decide it is worth burning out AusDisneyFan on her first night in from Australia (which I don't think it is a good idea, jet lag and all, a grumpy and tired AusDisneyFan does not a good first impression make, no matter how much I adore her. I think we should take it easy and have a relaxed night on our terms, not Disney's schedule)

We could also decide that it is worth burning a day on our tickets or buying an extra day (that is a rather steep admission charge, nostalgia aside).

So, I suspect we will MISS it! Argh! Timing!

Second is Fantasmic.

I was really hoping to see the Disneyland version of the show, since I am wholly underwhelmed by the WDW version of the show. I do enjoy it, and have seen it multiple times with the kid, but it just feels a bit like watching a show with no heart or plot, all effects based. Sort of like a Michael Bay film. While the ampetheatre is large, I have seen high school football stadiums that were more attractive, and while the show is fun, I never found it breathtaking (like, say, Wishes) or magical (like say, Wishes) or even funny and fun (like, say, the Main Street Electrical Parade).

Now, I have heard the exact opposite about the Disneyland version. First, this version, in keeping with the park tradition, is the original. WDW is merely a bad copy, and a six year younger "custom built" version to boot. The Disneyland version is done on the Rivers of America, the waters surrounding Tom Sawyer Island. And, the show designers had to work around the constraints of this, but had some amazing props at their disposal, like a life size pirate ship!

WDW looks fake and forced. Hence why I suspect we rarely see people ranting and raving about it in the forums. The show is good, worth seeing, worth doing the "free Fantasmic dinner package" for...but otherwise..."meh". (As the Internet would say). But, the Disneyland version looks truly awe inspiring.

So, it will not be playing during our stay, so something else we will miss.

For third, I am going to list ride closings, with a short blurb about each...

I preface this with a statement that, while some of these ride closings may upset me, I am fine with them. I am glad to see Disney giving TLC to rides. That just means they will be there next visit! And be a better experience than a broken down and poorly maintained monstrosity.

Top on my list of closed rides is Small World.

I am actually very upset this ride will be closed for refurb during our trip for two reasons, neither being the song that sticks on your head like caramel sticks to your molars.

The first is that the Disneyland version is the original. It has its own building, its own theme. It is not shoved into fantasyland, like a red headed stepchild, the way that the WDW version is, rather it is laid out in all glory, with an outdoor staging area, a universally unique building, and even the site of projection shows similar to "magic, memories and you" at WDW. It has an outdoor staging area and entrance, which lends a far more classic Disney "dark ride" feel to it...as if you are journeying into a cartoon or short film to take a break from real life, which I think is the key to the Disney idea of the "dark ride". While I suspect the interior ride is very similar, I was curious to see if I could spot differences.

The second is a bit more personal, since my travel partner, and my loving friend, is coming from so far away to join in this trip. I am not an easy commute either, but the flight to LA here from Sydney is airplane hell (for the record, it is listed on wiki in the top worst length flights in the world). I sort of wanted to experience the symbolism and deeper message of that corny, yet endearing, ride and song. We literally crossed the world to have fun together at Disney, and I thought a ride there would be oddly fitting for us to experience together. Alas, this will not be, at least on this trip.

Next is Splash Mountain.

It will be closed for our trip, which given the weather is ok, but I really wanted to compare the smaller logs to the larger logs at WDW that I have known all my life (WDW seats two abreast, even three sometimes, DLC is one, maybe two if the kid is small enough). Plus, I wanted to try and spot differences in the ride that the Kid and I love so much (note, it was her favorite ride until she was tall enough for Rockin' Roller Coaster in 2012). This is another Disneyland transplant to WDW where my Disneyphile heart really wanted to see the original in all its relative glory.

Number Three is Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

Now, this ride is not a favorite of mine, even though I love the ride. The Disney wrist watch I bought to remember the 2010 trip (a Skagen) was broken on the ride in 2011 at WDW, partially because the ride was so rough. Since then at WDW it went through a track refurb at WDW, and is now getting a queue refurb (good news, I remember those drinking water fountains in line from when I was a kid! Frankly, glad to see them go!). I assume the DLC version is going through a similar refurb. But, it is still among my favorite rides, I would like to experience the original...

Funny four (wacka wacka) is Muppets 3D

This will be closed during our trip, and while it wasn't high on my list, it does hold a distinction of being the first attraction on my list from WDW to be replicated at Disneyland. As opposed to the latter, this attraction appeared nearly a decade later on the West Coast! I will be sad not to see the show, but given the state of disrepair it is at HS, I wasn't optimistic. They being said, I LOVE the muppets, and really wanted to see this and compare and contrast the two shows, and their unique queues!

Fabulous Fifth is the Mad Tea Party

We will not be able to swing our cups around together, as this attraction will be closed. I doubt this will bother either of us much (though this post has been mostly about me, which it should be, I cant speak for her )...but somehow I doubt this is her sort of ride, unless it is a lazy twirl. Anyhow, I like tea, but she prefers coffee, so I blame AusDisneyFan for this ride outage. It is obviously her fault.

Scathing sixth is the Mark Twain

I have so many fond memories of doing the Liberty Belle as a kid and teenager...and yet as an adult I have missed it! In 2010 it was closed for refurb...in 2011 we just missed the last sail since the kid wanted to do Peter Pan, and in 2012 we also missed it as well! Now, I find out that Disneyland's riverboat, the Mark Twain, is going to be closed...I am starting to suspect a conspiracy!

Grizzly River Run, which seems like Kali River Rapids to me, seems nothing to do when the top temp is around 70 F. Though, I wouldn't mind shivering and having AusDisneyFan warm me up with a hot cocoa and a blanket, if we are both freezing and wet, it isn't quite the right mood

Silly Symphony Swings, which I am a tad upset about, as this is not a very common ride anymore, I quite remember as a child loving the "swivel swings" at festivals in Germany, where they were quite popular. I rarely see them now. So, boo that they will be closed...first time I had seen one in operations since my childhood.

Cafe Orleans will be closed as well, which is a creole food joint at DisneyLand Park that specialities in the Monte Cristo (a unique sandwich for one to try, if you have not ever had one, but I have had many, and many far better than Disney would provide I suspect)...no real concerns for us there.

So, after all this. I am tired of posting, I have more to share, and will do so, but this is it for tonight, as far as trip reporting is concerned. So, as stated before, any unique LA ideas, we would love to hear them! And of course any Disneyland ideas!

Goodnight!

Anyhow, all that being said...all that being closed...

I LOVED IT! And I would go back in a heartbeat (and probably will in 2015).

The vibe of the parks is different, and probably more what you remember from the less packaged and industrial nature that has become WDW.

Don't worry about closures. There is still plenty to do packed into that area. Rather, view it as a chance to go back!

Plus, you will LOVE the Disneyland Hotel (that's where you ended up, right?)

You'll have a great trip, and I can't wait to read the report!

WDW1974

Thanks. Definitely what I needed to hear. I've been increasingly nervous over arriving and having that lost feeling. Been starting to pour obsessively over maps, videos, forums, etc. I need to make this my mantra: don't overthink it!

Just found your thread. I think you do need to calm down, sit back, relax and enjoy your trip.

As @WDWFigment pointed out so eloquently ... DLR isn't WDW (thank whatever higher power you'd like). It doesn't require OCD planning.

And when you get there, you'll find a much more laidback group of visitors (not simply locals and APers, but even the tourists like you). While oozing real MAGIC, DLR is very easy to navigate and isn't overwhelming.

Also, to anyone planning upcoming visits I'd simply say you can't sweat what will or won't be open. This is a very unique year with unusual circumstances all coming together at one time. Take a trip in 2014 and chances are at least two major attractions will be down, the only question is whether they are attractions that you even care about and whether you'll let that ruin your MAGICal vacation.

I have a visit planned for this spring, although not on your dates and I know things I want to be open simply won't be. I'll live ... and return to ride another day.

Scuttle

March 3rd update:

Wow no wonder WDW is in such horrible shape. That's how you keep a park up.

radiohost

Wow...

2 months from our trip and I am just finding out now that Pirates, Space Mountain, Alice in Wonderland (wife's favorite) and It's a small world (we have a 1 1/2 year old) will be down...

Yeah, I'm a little ticked off right now.

radiohost

And I get rides getting refurbed, the whole nine yards ect... But when we booked this with airfare, hotels, car two months ago and knowing only Space would be down, yeah I think it's pitiful to announce these other refurbs two months from the start of our trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom