I selected a blue MagicBand and at check-in I was given a grey one, how could that have happened?

SagamoreBeach

This past August was my second trip to WDW since all the resorts started using the MagicBands. Since I'm from Canada I already knew that my MagicBands would be at the Boardwalk Inn when I checked-in, because they can't be mailed to my house. The first time I used the MagicBands in December 2013 all the colours I put down for myself and my family were inside the box, however the second time there was a mistake. I had requested a blue one for myself on the My Disney Experience site and inside the box where my name was I saw a grey one. Why that happened I don't know because prior to leaving I checked the website everyday and it showed the colours I specifically selected. When I mentioned this to one of their Club Level Cast Members he called a manager and around 5-10 minutes later he came with a blue one.

We will be going back to WDW this December and once again selected the specific colours for each of us and like before I am checking the My Disney Experience site everyday and it shows the correct colours I have selected. So what are the odds that myself or someone else gets the wrong colour or was that just a one time fluke that most likely won't happen again?

Really? They immediately rectified the situation.
-T

Mouse_Trap

It is important to remember how many people don't make multiple trips to Disney, or only go every few years. On our little part of the internet here at WDWMagic, member number 101,045 registered today. Assuming we are all active (not likely), no one was banned (definitely not true) and no spammer accounts (there are a handful in there) that's what, 3 days of attendance at MK at most? Factor in the other large WDW forum sites, and removing people registered at multiple boards, I'd say maybe 10 days worth of MK attendance. But a trip every few years or so is much more likely to be the repeat visitor average. Now as I already mentioned, the bands will most likely not be fully functioning after a few years. So why would Disney want to take the chance? Little Suzy didn't get her picture tagged to the account because the band wasn't 100% functional. Factor in how many people most likely are just tossing the bands after their trips, never mind anyone losing them, it's to their benefit to simply ship out new ones.

Yea sure, the majority of people won't make a repeat visit for years - I get that. But there are plenty of people who already have multiple bands; they system should recognise who already has a band and how old it is.....for instance if it's only a few months old ask them first.

I just think the whole scheme is so wasteful.....so much unneeded packaging for a start, not to mention the cost of shipping thousands of them each day right across the country.
Why not just issue them at check-in. Eliminates the need for any packaging and the shipping costs.

dreamfinder

I just think the whole scheme is so wasteful.....so much unneeded packaging for a start, not to mention the cost of shipping thousands of them each day right across the country.
Why not just issue them at check-in. Eliminates the need for any packaging and the shipping costs.

The costs of having someone trained to specifically make/package magic bands in a warehouse/assembly area somewhere is most likely vastly cheaper and more efficient than having front line CMs do it at check in. It takes the poor front desk CMs long enough to dig up the appropriate box for the party and explain the process, never mind if they have to find a green band for Johnny and a red one for Suzy. Selecting each member of the party and assigning them the correct band would end up taking much longer at the check in process. WDW is trying to streamline checkin as much as possible. Adding another 5-10 minutes to go through the process of waiting for Suzy to pick her color, and then assigning them all to the right people is huge steps back.

Prince-1

Presumably, they will have a gizmo at Guest Relations that can tell whether the powered transmitter is still transmitting. I'm thinking of something simple like (but different than) the garage door remote checkers that they have at auto parts stores.

Gizmo.jpg

Gizmo is now working the front desk?! Better not feed him after midnight!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom