I need some leverage

Grim Grinner

Original Poster
I want to go back to WDW this year, some time in October. I was just there the first week of Oct. last year and had the time of my life. However, my wife is resistant to going again- insisting that we move down to Florida instead.

We were married in 2000, and have been down three times.

What can I say to her to convince her to let me visit my most favorite place in the world?

She was resisting me last time, but I have a strange condition where I get all misty-eyed whenever I see those Park DVDs. I used a combination of cuteness and guilt to visit last time, but I doubt it'll work this time.

Or- should I move down there to live....? We were thinking about the Longwood or St. Marys area which is just North up I-4. Should we move or visit?

Choices and choices... I do not know what to do.

BTW- Does anyone else tear-up whenever they watch those videos?

SpongeScott

Originally posted by Grim Grinner
I want to go back to WDW this year, some time in October. I was just there the first week of Oct. last year and had the time of my life. However, my wife is resistant to going again- insisting that we move down to Florida instead.

We were married in 2000, and have been down three times.

What can I say to her to convince her to let me visit my most favorite place in the world?

She was resisting me last time, but I have a strange condition where I get all misty-eyed whenever I see those Park DVDs. I used a combination of cuteness and guilt to visit last time, but I doubt it'll work this time.

Or- should I move down there to live....? We were thinking about the Longwood or St. Marys area which is just North up I-4. Should we move or visit?

Choices and choices... I do not know what to do.

BTW- Does anyone else tear-up whenever they watch those videos?
1. do the dishes without asking.
2. do the laundry without asking.
3. vacuum without asking.
4. bring her flowers for no reason.
5. treat her like royalty.
6. rent a Ryder and fill out change of address forms.

Without any interruptions or distractions, explain to her exactly how much going to WDW means to you and that you want to share your joy and pleasure with her. If she is truly serious about moving down, also explain to her that you are in the process of looking into that possibility (actually look into it) and that a trip back down to Florida to investigate potential homes/jobs could be combined with a trip to WDW.

Good luck!

djmatthews

Now in your situation I would use the classic line of "If you loved me, you'd let me go" hehehe. I guess if you are having two holidays a year one at WDW, and another one somewhere else, I cannot see the problem. However, if you are only having one holiday a year, then I could understand a partners attitude - the world is a big place with so many places to see and visit.

Moving to Florida - that's a big magical step. I can't comment on that without knowing your circumtances.

tigsmom

See now, I'm the one who wants to move to Florida to be closer to WDW. I can't convince the rest of the family just yet, but we have, on several occasions, looked at schools, real estate,etc.
My kids think its just a phase, but I've wanted to do this for years.

ps...helping around the house could boost your popularity. :lol:

Grim Grinner

Original Poster
She loves WDW as much as I do, however she doesn't want to visit... she wants to live down there. I'm not prepared mentally to move just yet (one more year...).

We have a friend who lives down there who showed us around the "real" part of Florida which hasn't been tainted fully by tourism. We settled on a few locations. The prices down there are awesome, about 50 grand cheaper than what we could sell our house for- we could get a mansion (with a pool!) down there. We also have significant savings.

In terms of age I will turn 30 on Valentine's day, and she's 4 years younger. No kids yet.

I've heard the job market isn't the best down there. I used to work for a videogame magazine for 10 years, until I was laid-off. We both work now, although I am in retail- and not making much money an any case. It's a job I can drop without too much suffering- although I'm trying for a transfer to the Central Florida locations.

That's all the pertinant info I can think of.

To all of those of you who have made the plunge- is it worth it?

I currently live in Naperville Illinois- and I'm tired of all of the snow!

Pixie Duster

It is a tough job market in some areas and if anything were to happen to WDW then our job market would be really off skew. Also be forewarned that in Central FL there a re lot of locals who are anti-Disney :rolleyes:

tigsmom

We looked in Bradenton...about 2 hours past Orlando on the Gulf Coast. Our kids are 15 & 9. You are right about houses being cheaper, but salaries are also less... about 10-12K less for us (nursing). The only good part is that because of the nursing shortage Florida gives a lot of incentives to move down and work.

I know a lot of people who have left NY & moved to Florida & they love it...only had one friend move back and that was because of family obligations.

Today its 18 degrees out & the wind is fierce...I'd move in a heartbeat.

:D

For Grim Grinnerr,

Longwood and Lake Mary are both beautiful areas. DH grew up in the Longwood/Wekiva area. Wekiva is a beautiful conservation area settled near Apopka, Altamonte Springs, and Longwood. This area is about an hour away from WDW with traffic on I-4 or a little less if you take back roads and the new Western Beltway. Lake Mary is a little bit farther away (15-20 min). You could also look into Sanford ( which is on the Greenway/417 and another 10-15 minutes up I-4) and goes right to Disney. All of these areas are great because they are far away from the tourist areas. The schools are Seminole County which are better than Orange County. If you'd like to be even closer (20-30 minutes away) Ocoee is another option and is still away from tourist areas. If price really isn't an option try looking into the Windermere or Gotha areas which brings you even closer to WDW without tourists. Try looking on Realtor. com or do a search for Orlando Builders (if you want to build a new house-which can sometimes be cheaper). I hope all of this helps.
Regarding the comment Pixie Duster posted about there being lots of Anti-Disney people...I've never encountered any in my ten years living here and working for WDW. Back in the day, we used to be required to put a WDW CM parking sticker on our vehicle. I never encountered any threat to me or my property. I really don't think this is something to even consider while thinking of moving to the Central Florida area.

djmatthews

House prices are stupidly cheap. There was a recent program called "I want that house" on over here. It was on for 30mins every night for a week and featured people looking round houses mainly for investment (buy to rent).

For what a small flat here in Hertfordshire would cost, you could buy a good size family home, with pool, garden, big garage etc, all fitted and furnished, and still have a lot of change left over.

The building standard also looked a lot better two, compared to our big building firms that will fit 20 houses onto land the size of a postage stamp.

House prices have rocketed over here. I'm a student living in a student house. I dread getting onto the property ladder.

I have these wild dreams about moving to America. I fell in love with New England a few years ago, however, I love the heat, maybe Orlando would be better. England can be so cold.

Rickinnyc

Re: Re: I need some leverage

I went through the "convincing your loved one" thing quite a few years ago. My partner and I went down to WDW (his first time, my umpteenth time) and we both enjoyed ourselves tremendously. After our return, I made the novel suggestion of looking into another trip the following year. He was apalled and said that as much as he enjoyed himself, he didn't want to go back so soon. I kept my mouth shut, knowing that not everyone feels the same way about my beloved WDW trips.

But over the following weeks, I felt myself falling into a deep slump, the post Disney blues. When asked what was wrong, I spilled my guts, explaining my love of Disney, that WDW was not "just a vacation" to me, about all the many childhood memories that it brought back, and about the sheer happiness and utter joy I feel while visiting.

The conversation evolved into a rather heartfelt talk about our upbringings, our childhoods, the dreams and hopes for our futures when we were so young, family vacations. It was then that my partner realized that, though we can't go home again per Tom Wolf, Disney World definitely gives us the ability to revisit what was and is so magical about being a child. WDW brings a different smile to my face. It fills me with a different happiness.

So we went back the following year and have been back every year since. And now we both relive our personal childhood moments together, if even for only a week at a time.

WDWKat26

Originally posted by 1disneydood
It's my dream to move to orlando area and work for WDW. I know the pay's not great, but I still feel drawn.:D

I completely agree, I can't wait to get down there and work for WDW!

johnvree

Ok, lets start with how you get down there without moving. You can try the cleaning-the-house-thing. But be careful about that. If you're like me and avoid housework at all costs, your wife has probably let you get away with it because she believes you to be incompetent in that area. If you show her an ability to do it, you may be buying a full-time chore. Another way it can backfire is by converting housework into currency. If you buy your Disney trip with cleaning the house a couple of times, think about how much you owe your wife for cleaning your house everyday. Trust me, your mortgage will be the least of your problems. :lol:

Sorry Grim, I don't think you're going to get your trip through bargaining. If you are going to secure her consent, it's going to be through the kinds of things that make a marriage successful: love, discussion and understanding.

When that fails, here's what I'd do: Go ahead and make your plans without telling your wife. About a month before your trip (after the point that you cannot cancel your reservations without penalty), go out and buy her a really nice card. In the card your going to put an invoice from a local painter to paint the entire inside of your home and make sure it is marked "paid in full/non-refundable". Also make sure the invoice states that painting has to occur whatever week in October your Disney trip is occuring. When your wife opens the card, you say: "I thought the house needs painting. I'm going to Disney that week. Unless you want to smell paint all week, I suggest you come along." Sure, it makes your trip more expensive. But desperate times call for desperate measures. :lol:

Now, as to moving to Floriday, be careful. My family moved from New Jersey to Central Florida about 15 years ago. I stayed. Here are my thoughts:

1. Despite Disney, the economy is not great. Salaries are fairly low in most industries. My parents took significant pay cuts. My Mom is in nursing, so there's plenty of work but the pay is lower. My Dad is in construction. Work can be hard to find and the pay is very low.

2. It's hot most of the year. If you've been there in the Summer, you know what I mean. My brother complains that it's often too hot to do anything outside.

3. Disney may become less special. Hard to image for some, including myself. However, we always went to WDW as kids. In the 15 years that my family has been there, my sister and brother have been there only three times. Two of the times were when I went down to visit.

Just my opinion.

cherrynegra

You know, I have to agree with the previous poster that moving to Orlando might affect the "magic" of the parks. Remember the old adage. It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Rickinnyc

Originally posted by cherrynegra
You know, I have to agree with the previous poster that moving to Orlando might affect the "magic" of the parks. Remember the old adage. It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I have to totally agree with that sentiment as well. I live in New York City. I've met more tourists than I can count who are filled with the excitement of the hustle and bustle, who love the shows and shopping, who stare up at the buildings, and on and on and on. When I tell them I live here, I almost always get the same response: "How exciting! You must love it! It's so much fun!"

My response? Yeesh! Sure, I like living here, but I'm ready to get out, out, out!

Djali999

Originally posted by johnvree
3. Disney may become less special. Hard to image for some, including myself. However, we always went to WDW as kids. In the 15 years that my family has been there, my sister and brother have been there only three times. Two of the times were when I went down to visit.

this is true in some respects. I don't get all tingly anymore when I step onto Main Street. my heart doesn't start pounding in the quere for Space Mountain. I no longer feel the need to run at full gallop to the Haunted Mansion.

but it's still a wonderful break from 'real life'. I'd say I go to Downtown Disney the most often... I'm a DVD nut and the Virgin Records megastore is blissssss. :D

Grim Grinner

Original Poster
I can see how the "Magic" can possibly wear off. However, my wife and I hit Brookfield Zoo every weekend that we can. That's another magical place for us, and we see something new every time.

As my wife puts it- "It makes me sad everytime I think about it (Disney). I just want to live there."

When we go on a trip, if she thinks about coming back home, she starts crying (I only do that when I watch Peter Pan, or on the last day of a trip).

Heck, the ability to kick around the world showcase at night would be worth it to me.

Sitting on a bench in Adventureland and watch the people. It is not in the rides, but the place itself.

Besides, she wants to be able to drive with the windows rolled down all year. Little things like that. She loves the heat, but hates the cold.

She wants to move more than I, but I want to visit more.

Hurricane

Originally posted by Grim Grinner

Besides, she wants to be able to drive with the windows rolled down all year. Little things like that. She loves the heat, but hates the cold.

Uhh I live in Florida (Miami and Palm Beach) and can most definitly say that you cannot drive with the windows down from about mid april to mid september, summer in florida is unbelievably hot if you are from the north (i'm told). Try to visit FL at other times of the year before you sell the farm...

Woody13

Only regret what you could have done, and didn't do!

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" is the proverbial American saying of discontent. My reply is always the same, "Come On Down". :lol:

BwanaBob

Originally posted by johnvree

1. Despite Disney, the economy is not great. Salaries are fairly low in most industries. My parents took significant pay cuts. My Mom is in nursing, so there's plenty of work but the pay is lower. My Dad is in construction. Work can be hard to find and the pay is very low.

2. It's hot most of the year. If you've been there in the Summer, you know what I mean. My brother complains that it's often too hot to do anything outside.

Just my opinion.

1) Its all relative! Less taxes (no state income tax), and the cost of living vs. salary is pretty much equal to up north...just proportionately lower.

2) Yes and no...HUMIDITY...thats the killer! Heat is not bad if it's dry. It's when you stick to the mailbox!...too much himidity!

3) You won't lose the feeling just because you live close. It happens more so if you become a CM. It remains a "vacation" spot now (for me, the "get-away"). Work there, and it is no longer your "vaca" spot. You look for other places to go on vaca.

I live in Tampa and hit the parks 3-4 times a month. Not old yet!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom