I need help finding "this" book....

mr_braver23

Original Poster
I am looking for a book that talks about the building of DisneyWorld. The people, the plan, the land, stuff like that. Any book readers out there that know of one? Thanks!

SoupBone

There are many, but I recently read this one.

Realityland- David Koenig

http://www.amazon.com/Realityland-True-Life-Adventures-Disney-World/dp/0964060523

I could be assuming wrong, but I don't think that's what this person is asking for.

"This is a provocative and entertaining look at the way Disney intruded on Central Florida, created its own government, and exerted its will on a quiet sleepy Florida town. Did everything happen the way the book says? WHo knows...Koenig has plenty of direct sources. More than likely more accurate than the "disney authorized" books out there that spout only the Disney partyline. In particular there are volumes of union records and complaints that are a goldmine for this type of material, since Disney hid all these things from the public, but they are all available as public record.

The chapter on injuries and deaths in the land of WDW is especially interesting -- using primary police records and EMS logs, it clearly catalogs Disney's years and years of paying off casualties and their familes, and points its way directly to the terrible relationship Disney currently has with the Orlando media.

This is a great and fast read for those who aren't necessarily Disney Fanboys...i.e. if you think that everything at Disney is covered in pixie dust, then by all means avoid this book. Like Disney Wars a few years back, this is a no-holds barred look at the disfunction that often runs rampant in large corporations. The chapter on the building of the first series of hotels in itself demonstrates the countless hirings, firings, and shady business relationships that WDW's creators encountered. All of it public record for those who care to look. "

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I could be assuming wrong, but I don't think that's what this person is asking for.

"This is a provocative and entertaining look at the way Disney intruded on Central Florida, created its own government, and exerted its will on a quiet sleepy Florida town. Did everything happen the way the book says? WHo knows...Koenig has plenty of direct sources. More than likely more accurate than the "disney authorized" books out there that spout only the Disney partyline. In particular there are volumes of union records and complaints that are a goldmine for this type of material, since Disney hid all these things from the public, but they are all available as public record.

The chapter on injuries and deaths in the land of WDW is especially interesting -- using primary police records and EMS logs, it clearly catalogs Disney's years and years of paying off casualties and their familes, and points its way directly to the terrible relationship Disney currently has with the Orlando media.

This is a great and fast read for those who aren't necessarily Disney Fanboys...i.e. if you think that everything at Disney is covered in pixie dust, then by all means avoid this book. Like Disney Wars a few years back, this is a no-holds barred look at the disfunction that often runs rampant in large corporations. The chapter on the building of the first series of hotels in itself demonstrates the countless hirings, firings, and shady business relationships that WDW's creators encountered. All of it public record for those who care to look. "

That is just one reviewers take on the book.

Have YOU read the book? I have. It tells the story of the building of WDW including all of what the OP asked about.

SoupBone

I am looking for a book that talks about the building of DisneyWorld. The people, the plan, the land, stuff like that. Any book readers out there that know of one? Thanks!

Instead of assuming I'll ask more questions. Are you wanting a book that describes only what you are asking for or one that includes other things (like the deaths of guests, etc)? There are books out there (like the one Unkadug suggests) that goes into detail about things that might be considered un-Disney like behavior. They aren't bad at all, but maybe not what you are looking for.

mr_braver23

Original Poster
Well....more or less about the beginnings of Walt Disney World. The building of.. things like that... but thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'll read them all!!

:ROFLOL:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Since the World Began - WDW the first 25 years
Walt Disneys EPCOT Center by Abrams
Married to the Mouse
Project Florida - the promises and the problems

All out of print (eaby?) but very informative. The latter 2 especially. Project Future is probably as close as you`ll get to any of these for something in print.

tigsmom

Since the World Began is a good one, we got that free as a "flex feature" during the anniversary year. Was just looking at it the other day :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom