I love Southwest!!!

RickEff

Original Poster
A couple of weeks ago, I got a Ding. From Buffalo to Orlando for $89 and return for the same amount. Now - that's not great, but not bad. Last year I got it for $49 but with fuel prices, I thought I'd seen the last of that kind of deal.

Afterward, I booked in at Old Key West, using some points in my holding account for a nice weekend getaway.

Yesterday, as I turned on my computer I heard, "Ding!"

I went and looked and the same flights were at $43 each way! I first thought :eek: closely followed by :brick: and then...:hammer: .

So - I called Southwest...and they let me rebook it at the lower price!!!:sohappy:

The woman on the phone said they'd refund the original, but the email said that I now have a credit with them for the full amount of the original booking. Either way, Southwest is the only carrier I use to go to Orlando with since they're the only ones that fly direct, so even a credit is fine with me!

What a great airline. Even though the original deal was supposed to be non-refundable and non-changeable, they said it's their policy to allow it if a better fare becomes available. All you have to do is call! You also have to make sure the itinerary is exactly the same.

So - if a better deal arises with Southwest - call them!

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
My flight from Omaha, NE to Orlando has gone from $109 each way to $69 each way - now I have a 'credit' for my flight next year!

LouDisney

I got a credit too. I had booked a couple of months ago, then the $49 each way was release. I got a credit of $94 for a future flight, which I plan on using next year...WDW of course :D

MouseearsDeb

How we got our refund

Last year when we originally booked BNA to MCO it was over $800. Then they ran the $39 ea way and we had a very large credit. I vaguely remember to get the refund, we had to wait until we had traveled. Then we had to submit a written request for the refund. It took a few weeks, but it was credited back to the credit card that was used in the original transaction.

I don't know if this is how they still issue refunds. But I thought for those who might need the "gas" money, I'd post what we had to do to get ours.:)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I'm flying air-moo... errr, WN... err.. Southwes!, in October to Buffalo (and onto Toronto) for work.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Maybe someone in this thread can help me out...

I have never flown Southwest before and unfortunately for my trip in August, they are the only carrier that can get us to WDW for less than $500.

Anywho, what the heck is a Fun Fare?? Is it a one way ticket? Are seats assigned ahead of time or is it ever man for himself?

I only ask because going to MCO (from Philly) the "Fun Fare" is the cheapest ($130 per person). However, comming home from MCO there is an "Internet Special 1 way ticket" available ($59 per person). Unfortunately the Specail 1 way ticket isnt available for our flight down there.

I attempted to call them but I didnt really get through to anyone and gave up.

Also, how does Southwest rate against airlines like Continental, Delta, and Jet Blue and the now defunct Song? If it is anywhere near as bad as Song, I think I will opt to walk to Florida. :lookaroun

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :wave:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I like Southworst's prices..... BUT HATE their cattle call seating!! ? Who else does that? People cut in line in the A, & B group lines. People flat out ABUSE the priority seating call before they board the group A's. Its really starting to annoy me. So much in fact... I am pondering switcing over to AirTran. I'll pay the few extra bucks to not have to deal with that garbage anymore. :mad:

I used to love ATA, and would fly them all the time before they sold off most of their gates to Southwest at Midway Airport. At least with ATA you had an assigned seat. :(

Nemo14

I understand that SW is experimenting with assigned seating on some West coast flights. I agree that the boarding thing leaves a lot to be desired, but once I'm on the plane, I don't care!
I know that there is abuse with the pre-boarding, but I have seen them refuse passenger's request to preboard. I actually had to pre-baord when I had injured my wrist. I did not request it, the attendant at the desk told me that I should to avoid people smashing into it, so some of the people you see pre-boarding do have legitimate problems.

Tigger1988

After watching the tv show Airline on A&E I will never fly Southwest, the show doesn't really portray the airline in a good light, so I don't understand why Southwest allows them to film it lol

DMC-12

Nemo14 said:
so some of the people you see pre-boarding do have legitimate problems.

I understand that... and I never said that everyone abuses the pre-board. But a vast majority of them do. Ok.. older people, people in wheelchairs, people with tiny tots... yeah... I totally understand that. :) :wave:

When I was leaving Orlando this past May.... some guy in the group A line put his luggage in the line... and went and sat down to wait for the rest of his party. Then the rest of his party showed up... there were 10 of them... and he let them cut in line... in front of all of us. I was LIVID!! I snapped... and said something... but the guy ignored me... and rolled his eyes.

I have a free flight and a book full of drink coupons to use for my trip this DEC. If the same garbage happens again. I am switching to AirTran. :lol: :fork:

Nemo14

DMC-12 said:
I understand that... and I never said that everyone abuses the pre-board. But a vast majority of them do. Ok.. older people, people in wheelchairs, people with tiny tots... yeah... I totally understand that. :) :wave:

When I was leaving Orlando this past May.... some guy in the group A line put his luggage in the line... and went and sat down to wait for the rest of his party. Then the rest of his party showed up... there were 10 of them... and he let them cut in line... in front of all of us. I was LIVID!! I snapped... and said something... but the guy ignored me... and rolled his eyes.

I have a free flight and a book full of drink coupons to use for my trip this DEC. If the same garbage happens again. I am switching to AirTran. :lol: :fork:
I really have issues with that too. It's one thing in one person in your party steps out to use the bathroom or whatever, but saving space in line for 10 people?...
My mother is 86 years old and refuses to pre-board ("that's for the old people") .However she makes sure she's first in line in the "A" stall, and heaven help the person who tries to cut in front of her!!! :lol: :lol:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
DMC-12 said:
I like Southworst's prices..... BUT HATE their cattle call seating!! ? Who else does that? People cut in line in the A, & B group lines. People flat out ABUSE the priority seating call before they board the group A's. Its really starting to annoy me. So much in fact... I am pondering switcing over to AirTran. I'll pay the few extra bucks to not have to deal with that garbage anymore. :mad:

I used to love ATA, and would fly them all the time before they sold off most of their gates to Southwest at Midway Airport. At least with ATA you had an assigned seat. :(
y'see, my beef with them is lack of an elite status within their Rapid Rewards program. I'm elite on the 2 airlines I fly on the most and elite with 2 hotel programs (and on my way for 3). Southwest offers no additional perks for their most loyal customers other than free tickets... and an earning method that is inferior to that of other airlines.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Ok. I keep seeing the terms "Group A" and "Group B" mentioned. What is the determining factor in which group you belong to?

I am just curious for all this info because I am 99% sure Southwest is going to fly me to WDW in a few weeks. I just want to know how much miseryI am going to be in for...:lookaroun

DMC-12

tiggerific418 said:
Ok. I keep seeing the terms "Group A" and "Group B" mentioned. What is the determining factor in which group you belong to?

I am just curious for all this info because I am 99% sure Southwest is going to fly me to WDW in a few weeks. I just want to know how much miseryI am going to be in for...:lookaroun

When you check in for your flight... weather its online or at the Airport... you are assigned a group: A, B, or C.

If you check in online starting 24hrs before your flight leaves... you have a great chance of getting an A, (9 times out of ten you can get an A online). Its first come first serve... once the A's run out.. they move onto B's and so on.

A, boards first after the pre-boarders. So you get a better choice of seats to choose from. B groups... have less of a choice... as most if not all of the 'good' seats have been taken. C group might as well be sitting out on the wing.. or in the cargo hold. :lol:

Hope this helps. :wave:

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
DMC-12 said:
When you check in for your flight... weather its online or at the Airport... you are assigned a group: A, B, or C.

If you check in online starting 24hrs before your flight leaves... you have a great chance of getting an A, (9 times out of ten you can get an A online). Its first come first serve... once the A's run out.. they move onto B's and so on.

A, boards first after the pre-boarders. So you get a better choice of seats to choose from. B groups... have less of a choice... as most if not all of the 'good' seats have been taken. C group might as well be sitting out on the wing.. or in the cargo hold. :lol:

Hope this helps. :wave:

Do group C-ers get bumped a lot too? Sounds like if you are in group C you might as well just hop on the conveyor belt when they check your luggage because you would be more comfy in the cargo hold.

DMC-12

tiggerific418 said:
Do group C-ers get bumped a lot too? Sounds like if you are in group C you might as well just hop on the conveyor belt when they check your luggage because you would be more comfy in the cargo hold.

yep... if you are a C group... you run the risk of the first to be bumped as well. :wave:

I always checkin online the day before my flight. I <3 being in the A group club. :lol:

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
DMC-12 said:
yep... if you are a C group... you run the risk of the first to be bumped as well. :wave:

I always checkin online the day before my flight. I <3 being in the A group club. :lol:

Yea. Sounds like checkin in online is a good idea. I dont usually do online check in but, I think we will make an exception for this round...

Cliffordsmon

tiggerific418 said:

If you check in online and have a boarding pass they cannot bump you. However, if you check in and just get a security clearance then you need to worry.

Watch out though, In Orlando (it's a zoo!) even if you have an A boarding pass, they let everybody and their dog board ahead of you (those needing special assistance and families traveling with children under 5yrs.)

I once saw a group of 8 adults board with a mom traveling with an infant.

DMC-12

Clifford'smon said:
I once saw a group of 8 adults board with a mom traveling with an infant.

Yep... I see that all the time... and thats what angers me the most about Southwest. Blatant abuse of the pre-board. :mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom